Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relationships

Any Northwesterners?

37 replies

Carmel · 21/05/2003 14:57

Any mumsnetters in Cheshire, Northwest, Manchester.I'm Looking for things to do with 2 fighting boys (age 2 and 4)Sick of them climbing everywhere, they are bored with mums and toddlers now. Any suggestions or playmates for them before they destroy my home!

OP posts:

lilibet · 21/05/2003 16:22

where in the N/W are you?

Carmel · 21/05/2003 16:33

Im in cheshire. Near Manchester. Are you from round the N.W. Lili?

OP posts:

lilibet · 21/05/2003 16:43

Wigan. My boys a re 10 on Friday and 6 1/2. I have an oler daughter as well. Its so comforting to know that others fight - mine are playing loud and violent rugby in the lounge at the moment with a pretend ball as they are not allowed balls in the house and I'm ignoring them as I am 'working' on the computer!

Carmel · 21/05/2003 16:47

Its funny that, im "working" too! My father is trying to get them in a rugby training group. Got a feeling it will make them worse. Just going to have to come to terms with the fact my house will never be tidy again!

OP posts:

lilibet · 21/05/2003 16:53

It doesn't help that I'm not the tidiest person on the planet. And I have other priorities, like the computer! Rugby training at 2, wow he'll be a world beater by the time he's grown.
Not coming up with many suggestions am I? Are you a sahm?

Carmel · 21/05/2003 16:56

Whats a sahm! Everyone has called him a rugby player since he was born, sturdy little thing

OP posts:

Hughsie · 21/05/2003 16:57

I'm in south manchester with a 2 year old and a 12 week old. Difficult to know how to keep him amused - mums and tots is ok , park, teletubbies!!!!!!ds1 goes to nursery three days a week so I get a bit of a break but keeping them occupied is hard - also fnding friends who dontr mind being descended on!

Carmel · 21/05/2003 17:01

Im afraid most of my friends are childless, and want me in the evening, with a glass of wine, kids firmly behind the scenes!

OP posts:

lilibet · 21/05/2003 17:18

sahm = stay at home mum!

Hilary · 21/05/2003 18:20

I am in the north west and have two boys age 4 and 2 too!

They are very lively - i.e. just took them to the park for an hour in the pouring rain just because they were so lively and had to run off some energy. They had a great time! Ds1 is scarily acrobatic, ds2 is very much a rugby type!

Does your eldest son go to nursery or anything?

janh · 21/05/2003 19:52

All of you looking for kids' activities, check out your local authority websites, also museums, art galleries etc, lots of them have weekly sessions for pre-school kids. (Hughsie, don't know where you are but Stockport has some good sites, I think most of the local libararies there have pre-school sessions; also Tameside, is that South Mancs or not???) (I'm in Lancs so never quite sure what goes where!)

Warrington Museum and Art Gallery is v child- friendly.

Some local authority websites are better than others but look at neighbouring ones too.

(I do a What's On column for primary age kids, often come across pre-school activities but not allowed to include them (because we're aimed at Reception-Y6, bit sad really) so I tend to forget exactly what I've seen.)

Hilary, there is a brilliant library in Wigan - in a street with a very strange name - they have regular sessions, the chap there (has a terrible stutter) sent me loads of bumf.

If any of you want I can look up some contact phone no's/wensites?

janh · 21/05/2003 19:53

Or websites!

lilibet · 21/05/2003 19:55

Janh, its The Weind! Also in Wigan, Haigh Hall is brilliant, lots of kids activities.

Hilary · 21/05/2003 21:27

Janh, thanks for all that info. When you say they do children's sessions what sort of thing do you mean?

What is at Haigh Hall? I keep driving past signs to it.

Carmel · 21/05/2003 21:33

Thankyou Hilary! He does go to nursery 12 hours a week but they seem to evaporate. Im now bored with the park ,playdoh ,everything really. I suppose i want the fun not them!

OP posts:

sykes · 21/05/2003 21:39

Sticking my nose in this one - I', originally from Stockport - how is it? Haven't been back for such a long time. The Peaks are so lovely. Don't miss the centre of Stockport though.

Carmel · 21/05/2003 21:41

Why not? Its a cosmopolitan, trendsetting, hotspot!

OP posts:

sykes · 21/05/2003 21:45

Seriously. Must cancel holiday to Sardinia and come to Stockport. Actually, will be up soon as my cousin is in Disley. Thanks for post, by the way, on my xxxx of an h.

Carmel · 21/05/2003 21:47

Could be worse you could still live here!

OP posts:

sykes · 21/05/2003 21:49

Am sure you love it really. Actually, I've always been v proud of coming from Manchester.

Hilary · 21/05/2003 21:51

Carmel, my son does 14 1/2 hours a week at nursery. He goes every morning. Will your son go to school in September?

Erm, suggestions...not got many as we've only lived here a year. The Trafford Centre play area is good for rainy days! Most of the things we do are north, further into Lancashire rather than Cheshire way. You may have more suggestions than me!

lilibet · 21/05/2003 21:51

At Haigh Hall there are children's activity sessions, arts and crafts that sort of thing, mine have decorated tiles painted wall hangings had a go n a potters wheel and done drawing and painting. There is also crazy golf, trampolines and a nice park. The cafe isn't brilliant so take your own picnic, lots of nice walks and the hall itself is sometimes open to the public, and you can hear the tale of Mab, whose husband went to fight in some war or other, was reported dead, she remarried and the b***r came back and found her in bed with her new man! She built a srone cross in the centre of Wigan, still sort of standing and walked to it every day after in her bare feet wearing sackcloth and ashes! Not her fault I say!!
And I also had my wedding reception there, but I don't hold that against it!!

Hilary · 21/05/2003 21:52

Where are you now Sykes?

Carmel · 21/05/2003 21:55

Hilary my son starts school to in sep. and i'll really miss him then! Trafford centre is brilliant for kids (especially when i was bfeeding)

OP posts:

Carmel · 21/05/2003 21:58

Sykes i do love it and i am proud just not of the Sunny Stockport Town Square!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?