My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

What's the quickest anyone has moved house and then moved again?

51 replies

Geoff0409 · 19/02/2024 07:40

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the quickest they have moved house and then moved again please?

We moved 2 months ago and although I don't like to use the word easily I absolutely hate the house where we've moved to. The hatred is growing more and more every day. This is despite us doing decorating and generally making the house better condition.

The neighbours are ok, but the house is horrible and the location is awful.

We were on a bit of a budget so we knew we would have a limited choice, so when we looked it was more of a sacrifice the size/type or sacrifice the location. We'd admitted we'd sacrificed more in favour of the size of the house, but I have never been so unhappy in a house in my life. My wife is aware of how I feel but I'm trying not to talk about it too much because I don't think me moaning about it would be fair to her or our kids.

We probably wouldn't be able to move for at least a year or so anyway, but I would like to know I'm not alone and if anyone has moved house again fairly quickly due to being unhappy for whatever reason.

Thank you.

OP posts:
Whinge · 19/02/2024 07:50

I know lots of people who hated their house when they first moved in. It's a huge upheaval and a lot of stress, and you can feel a bit flat after all the build up and excitement. 2 months is no time at all, especially if you've been busy with decorating / renovations. I wouldn't rush into another move, as I suspect when a year or 2 has passed you'll feel very differently about the house / location. Smile

Noshowlomo · 19/02/2024 07:52

I just wanted to say I felt like you when we moved to our home, started a thread like you as well.
It took a good 10 months before I was settled and now 3.5 years on I LOVE IT.
I appreciate that you hate the area etc, and it may be different for you.
I missed my old neighbours, there was such a community where we used to live, I missed the area, but now I’ve settled I’d never go back. I still speak to my old neighbours via social media so we keep in touch but I do think you need to give it a few months. Tell your wife and give it a date that you’ll start looking again.

alittleworriedlamb · 19/02/2024 07:55

We moved. I cried every day even though we spent thousands changing all the bathrooms, carpets and decorating.
We lived there 9 months and put it back on the market. Was there 18 months in total before we moved.
Been in this house for 5 years and love it.

BadCovers · 19/02/2024 07:57

Two months is far too fast to decide.

Yes, though, I have resold within a year, though more because I decided to leave the country when the impact of Brexit made itself felt, than because I hated the location (which I did).

Feb123 · 19/02/2024 07:59

6 months. We moved and then moved again 6 months later. Much happier now

edited to add- we are renting so maybe not comparable situation

Sweetnothingsme · 19/02/2024 08:02

With those of you that hated the house - was it something you felt when purchasing or only afterwards on moving in?

Toblerony · 19/02/2024 08:12

There have been several threads on this recently - you’re absolutely not alone. Usually there’s a mix of people who grew to love their houses and people who moved again relatively quickly.

We bought our first house last year and it was a huge mistake. People kept telling us it was normal to have buyers remorse, but this was/is not that. Location is one of the issues for us too - we chose this area for the wrong reasons - but the house is also just wrong for us. I knew we’d made a mistake the second we got the keys, we’ve both been so unhappy here and it has hugely affected my mental health.

Well, we put the house back on the market after less than a year. We’ve accepted an offer under asking and are taking a hit with stamp duty, estate agents fees etc, but we factored this into our budget, the house we’re buying is cheaper than it would have been and we’re going to be so much happier.

I feel quite emotionally beaten up by it all. I’m sad we had such an awful experience of buying our first home. It was hard to confide in friends - how could I explain I’d bought the wrong house? People just kept trying to tell me I’d grow to love it but I don’t think we ever would have.

I think you’re right not to ‘moan’ in front of your kids, but it sounds like the grown-ups need to have a grown-up discussion. I don’t think moaning or not moaning are your only options - you need to have an actual conversation.

What’s the situation with your mortgage? How long is it fixed for and is it portable?

Putting the house on the market helped me stop
beating myself up for buying the wrong house, because we had loads of viewings and sold really quickly. It reminded me there are positives - it’s just not right for us.

We sat down and made a list of all the things we disliked about our house (including things we regretted compromising on, questions we wished we’d asked etc) and used it work out compromises and dealbreakers while looking for our next house.

BadCovers · 19/02/2024 08:14

With those of you that hated the house - was it something you felt when purchasing or only afterwards on moving in?

In our case, it was a forced situation — we’d been renting the house, but the owners decided to sell, and as there was literally nothing to rent for miles (village with large tracts of countryside all around), and DS was at school two minutes up the road and the location worked for both our jobs, it was a matter of either buying the house we didn’t like or moving away, and disrupting school and childcare.

Toblerony · 19/02/2024 08:23

Mainly afterwards. I’ve done a lot of soul searching trying to work out how on earth this could have happened. Viewings are so short, which doesn’t help. We were FTBs and didn’t look at some things closely enough.

In our case it was also a high stress time: our previous purchase had fallen through and we were going through a fertility clinic referral. We’d ideally have put off buying, but we were living in an awful rental and rents were soaring.

I did have some second thoughts during the conveyancing but mortgage rates were going up and if we’d started again with a new offer it would have hugely impacted our budget. So we kind of had to go through with it, and I think I convinced myself it would all be fine.

When I look back, I think we were right to go through with it once we started but I wish we’d chosen differently in the first place.

Flubadubba · 19/02/2024 08:27

Iirc, you need to be the registered owner on the land registry to sell, so it may take a while for that to go through as there are delays ATM.

Toblerony · 19/02/2024 08:28

Flubadubba · 19/02/2024 08:27

Iirc, you need to be the registered owner on the land registry to sell, so it may take a while for that to go through as there are delays ATM.

You also need to have owned it for at least 6 months in order for buyers to get a mortgage on it.

Sweetnothingsme · 19/02/2024 08:32

Thanks @Toblerony you’re right it was definitely a very stressful time. I can totally see how that all bubbled over for you.

I ask because we have to sell our dream home with 8 acres and my lovely horses at home due to cost of living and can’t afford them at home anymore. I look at every house with such sadness and hate every house. We are retaining a couple of acres to keep the horses on (not enough land so need to figure something else out too). I’ve lost my father 10 months ago too and to be honest my marriage is at its worse point. I guess I’m trying to avoid hating a house, but given the situ it’s never going to be ‘the one’ is it?

I’m glad you and many others moved again and are happy.

OP if you hate it - give it a bit longer but don’t hang around looking at others on here they did find a place they liked after.

PlumpAndGrump · 19/02/2024 08:36

6 months. Moved in the Feb then again in the August then again the following April. It has to feel like home quickly for us, and our current home really did. We've been here 7 years this year.

WhereIsMyLight · 19/02/2024 08:48

I hated our old house when we first moved in. It took a few years for it to start feeling like home. When we were naturally ready to move on, the house caused a lot of stress and made us quite unhappy with a lot of the original problems being a problem again. I don’t think they went away but we lived with them and it was fine. Our first house was the best of a bad bunch in what we could afford though, so we didn’t have much choice. We needed to get on the housing ladder, make improvements, allow for salaries and equity to increase before we could move somewhere better. That took 7 years. Well we probably could have afforded it at 4/5 years but it was covid and we just didn’t have extra capacity to move, then I got pregnant and didn’t want to move while on SMP.

Being brutally honest, if you were on a budget and had to make compromises, it’s probably a question of when you can afford it and nothing else. I moved 3 months ago and I know I couldn’t afford stamp duty, estate agents and conveyancers again at the minute. Plus if there has been a change in house value and if the house price has gone down, then you’ll be on even more of a budget than you were before.

Nextdoor55 · 19/02/2024 08:52

The last house we were in for 18 years, we've moved quite a long way physically from the old area because we wanted a new start. We knew there had been issues with one neighbour but was told this had been resolved, it wasn't.
This neighbour is awful sheet bully, and there's a boundary dispute that the previous owner has to fix, the problems with the neighbour was deeply ingrained. It's a little village & because this neighbour has been here for donkeys years she's bickering & bitching about us. Where we've not spoken to anyone because we don't do gossip, no-one talks to us now because of what they're being told.

We've been here 6 months. I love the house but I feel like I'm living in Little Britain. Such small minded people, neither of us have experienced anything like it before. And we've lived in villages, towns, cities.
I'd like to put any of these awful people next to really nightmare neighbours, see how they cope with drug dealers, screaming out of control kids, domestic abuse, violence. Could be worse...! Seems like no-one here has been out of their little clique for decades.
To top it off the surveyor made a mistake with the land registry & it didn't even getting filed for 4 months.
Plan is to do the house up & move on asap.

Flubadubba · 19/02/2024 08:53

Toblerony · 19/02/2024 08:28

You also need to have owned it for at least 6 months in order for buyers to get a mortgage on it.

I was going to write that, but doubted myself- glad someone else did!

Nextdoor55 · 19/02/2024 08:54

Flubadubba · 19/02/2024 08:53

I was going to write that, but doubted myself- glad someone else did!

Is this after the land registry have sent the paperwork back?

TwangBoob · 19/02/2024 09:16

If i had completely free rein and wasnt in the middle of a renovation i think i would have sold last year, one year after moving in. I started to feel a bit iffy about the house (or rather the area) as soon as we moved in and last year that peaked. Now though i've calmed down a bit and not feeling SUCH a pull to move again.

As it is I've got to finish the work and if we dont see out this stretch of the fixed mortgage we'll get slammed with fees i think so im here whether i like it or not!

Like you this was a bit of a compromise based on school and work needs vs budget.

Geoff0409 · 19/02/2024 11:54

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It's reassuring I'm not the only one who feels/felt like this.
We were renting and under pressure really to find a place to buy as our lease was coming to an end and the renewal was exceptionally expensive.
I had already accepted that it would probably be around a year before we could do anything anyway, so the comments about the land registry and conveyancing fees etc are particularly helpful.
When I said it's the location, it's due to the fact of the exact spot where the house is. If it were a couple of roads away it wouldn't bother me anywhere near so much. The town we live in itself is a bit tired but is fine (we only moved less than 2 miles from our previous place).
I think a combination of my age, and having lost my Mum about 10 years ago (she was only in her 50's) it makes me on the "life's too short" trail of thought quite often.
Thank you again for your help everybody :)

OP posts:
Rubyreddgirl · 19/02/2024 12:55

Geoff0409 · 19/02/2024 07:40

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the quickest they have moved house and then moved again please?

We moved 2 months ago and although I don't like to use the word easily I absolutely hate the house where we've moved to. The hatred is growing more and more every day. This is despite us doing decorating and generally making the house better condition.

The neighbours are ok, but the house is horrible and the location is awful.

We were on a bit of a budget so we knew we would have a limited choice, so when we looked it was more of a sacrifice the size/type or sacrifice the location. We'd admitted we'd sacrificed more in favour of the size of the house, but I have never been so unhappy in a house in my life. My wife is aware of how I feel but I'm trying not to talk about it too much because I don't think me moaning about it would be fair to her or our kids.

We probably wouldn't be able to move for at least a year or so anyway, but I would like to know I'm not alone and if anyone has moved house again fairly quickly due to being unhappy for whatever reason.

Thank you.

I cried myself to sleep the 1st night when we moved in 2021.
House from hell
Trying to sell for last 6 months.

Rubyreddgirl · 19/02/2024 13:00

Thanks @Toblerony you’re right it was definitely a very stressful time. I can totally see how that all bubbled over for you.

I ask because we have to sell our dream home with 8 acres and my lovely horses at home due to cost of living and can’t afford them at home anymore. I look at every house with such sadness and hate every house. We are retaining a couple of acres to keep the horses on (not enough land so need to figure something else out too). I’ve lost my father 10 months ago too and to be honest my marriage is at its worse point. I guess I’m trying to avoid hating a house, but given the situ it’s never going to be ‘the one’ is it?

OP if you hate it - give it a bit longer but don’t hang around looking at others on here they did find a place they liked after.

Edited

My marriage is hanging by a thread because of the stress of living in a house we hate and not been able to sell it
I feel for you.x

Fifthtimelucky · 19/02/2024 13:01

Not me but my mother moved house to be closer to me and within five months had moved back to the town she had lived in for the previous 50 years.

She was lucky to sell the house quickly, to someone who had seen it when she bought it but didn't act quickly enough.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Toblerony · 19/02/2024 13:07

Edited

Sending you a very unmumsnetty hug.

Geoff0409 · 19/02/2024 13:59

Rubyreddgirl · 19/02/2024 12:55

I cried myself to sleep the 1st night when we moved in 2021.
House from hell
Trying to sell for last 6 months.

@RuRubyreddgirl I'm sorry to read it had you in tears. That's awful. To be honest I have been close to tears a few times. I think it doesn't help that even if I talk about it there isn't much I can do at the moment. Have you had any luck at all in the last 6 months? You've obviously had to wait quite a while to get even to this stage bless you.

OP posts:
NostalgiaWarning · 19/02/2024 14:07

Been in our ‘dream home’ for 4 months now and like you unhappy.
It’s not really the house but the location.
It’s an expensive new build so we can’t really move for the foreseeable. Stamp duty was extortionate. I’m just trying to put one foot ahead of the other each day and hope that in a few years I can have the conversation with DH about moving.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.