Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Help make this a two bed a three bed

movingqueen · 23/09/2022 18:18

So my husband and I are looking to move and we've found a property we really like. Only problem is it's a 2 bed and one of our requirements was a three bed - bit of a major problem.

I feel like there's a way to make this a three bed but the landing space is small - I don't mind losing one of the ensuite or the closets.

Any help will be appreciated - please tell me if I'm being silly. Just to clarify we don't need to have a three bed imminently but we both work from home so it would just be ideal for the space.

I've attached the floor plans to help make things clearer

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsMoastyToasty · 23/09/2022 18:22

What's the roof space like? Is there enough head room to go into the loft with access above the existing stairs?

Please
or

movingqueen · 23/09/2022 18:24

@MrsMoastyToasty the roof is a no go. There is a ground floor extension with skylights but not sure the foundation is strong enough to build a second story on that

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 23/09/2022 18:24

It’s already pretty small. I think unless you go into the loft I can’t see another option

Please
or

movingqueen · 23/09/2022 18:26

@Lastqueenofscotland2 square footage wise it's bigger or the same as the three beds we've looked at

OP's posts:
Please
or

LaMariposa · 23/09/2022 18:28

This is what I’d do. Lose the en-suite and current wardrobe at the front. You’d probably need an architect to do actual drawings - they’d be able to work out if it was feasible.

We’ve had a large front to back bedroom split into two rooms, a double and office. Cost us about £4k not including decorating and carpet.

Please
or

blebbleb · 23/09/2022 18:30

LaMariposa · 23/09/2022 18:28

This is what I’d do. Lose the en-suite and current wardrobe at the front. You’d probably need an architect to do actual drawings - they’d be able to work out if it was feasible.

We’ve had a large front to back bedroom split into two rooms, a double and office. Cost us about £4k not including decorating and carpet.

Sorry piggybacking on this. What did you do regarding windows when you split the room into 2?

Please
or

senua · 23/09/2022 18:32

Compare it to the neighbours on RightMove Sold. Have any of them got the same design of house but have 3 bedrooms?

I think that you misunderstood Mrs MT: can you go into the roof on the original footprint, so we are talking a third storey.

Please
or

LaMariposa · 23/09/2022 18:34

@blebbleb It was front to back, so had two windows, one at the front of the house one at the back. Now my office is at the front and DDs bedroom at the back.

Please
or

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 18:35

Move the doorway of the big bathroom into the hallway.

Split the larger bedroom with the wardrobes (not ensuite) into 2.

Have the doors at angles to each other and if need be put in new windows so they have one each.

Please
or

movingqueen · 23/09/2022 18:36

@LaMariposa thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for definitely food for thought!

@senua No we can't. It's not big enough it's a tiny space for storage so not really an option we'd have to physically build upwards we couldn't convert what's already there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 18:37

Cheaper to do the back bedroom than remove the en-suite.

Please
or

Dressingdown1 · 23/09/2022 18:38

Could you use the dining room as a bedroom/office?

Please
or

America12 · 23/09/2022 18:41

Get rid of front en-suite and cut the room in half.
Block up en-suite door in back bedroom and open up on another wall ?

Please
or

America12 · 23/09/2022 18:41

What @LaMariposa said. Couldn't upload a photo.

Please
or

Sanch1 · 23/09/2022 18:44

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 18:37

Cheaper to do the back bedroom than remove the en-suite.

This. Remove the wardrobes and split the back bedroom. Small rooms though.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 23/09/2022 18:49

Does it need to be a permanent structure change.

I'm just thinking about the long term resealable value of rooms that tiny, as it won't really be a three bed if 2 of the rooms are that small.

Could you do a temp fix on the main bedroom, take the wardrobes out and place a temp divide in the room?

Please
or

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 18:49

7' x 9' aren't the smallest single rooms very much small starter family home.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 23/09/2022 18:53

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 18:49

7' x 9' aren't the smallest single rooms very much small starter family home.

I think it's common to maybe have one small room , but I think 2 at that size could be a detrimental change. (I've been house hunting the last 12 months, so seen lots of houses Blush)
It was just a thinking point anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Please
or

Magn · 23/09/2022 18:54

Do you need an extra bedroom for sleeping or for an office? I'd move the kitchen into the living/dining space and make it one big open plan room then have the previous kitchen as a downstairs bedroom/office.

Please
or

Thinkbiglittleone · 23/09/2022 18:56

Oh and just to add, sorry, I would remove the en-suite in the other bedroom anyway, you have a downstairs loo and you could use that ensuite space for better things. (Plus I'm not a fan of en-suites anyway).

Please
or

movingqueen · 23/09/2022 19:00

Thanks for all your help guys it's much appreciated. We want a home for a few years so working downstairs isn't a big deal but at some point we want kids and if we can't have the space to fit them in then it's a no-go. DH is set on the house, I'm trying to think practically about whether we can be there for more than a few years.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WoooahNelly · 23/09/2022 19:02

I would be tempted to make footings work for double height and go up there and split back bedroom into 2.

Please
or

AnOldCynic · 23/09/2022 19:06

What about this?

Please
or

RandomMess · 23/09/2022 19:07

DH grew up in a 2 bed house split to make it into a 3.

His sister was 5'10 he is 6'3" - they each had a bedroom 6' x 6'5 and honestly it was fine and "fair". It's horrid when one DC gets a double room and the other a teeny box room.

Please
or

ChampagneCamping · 23/09/2022 19:08

Split the biggest room in half (9 by 7) or almost half (7 by 7 and also 11 by 7).

a small box of would be 6 by 6

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?