Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

House in london 600k budget

NameChangeLifeChange · 23/09/2022 16:01

Considering a move to london from the north due to a really good work opportunity. DC age 6 and 3- quite confident so I think they’d settle quiet easily somewhere new.

We used to live in SE london (penge) so I know those areas well but we are flexible on location really. Commute would be to London Bridge 3 x a week.

Any ideas where we could afford somewhere that fits the following:
600k budget
3 rooms
Ideally a house
safe family friendly area

Appreciate it’s a not a huge budget for london so we are realistic that we may not have the best transport links/much outdoor space.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Notanotherlostone · 23/09/2022 16:10

Have a look at Eltham and New Eltham, very easy commute to London Bridge in under 20 Min. The area has improved lots even in the last year: beautiful green spaces, an organic farm, even coffee shops & bakeries are starting to appear. Lots of diverse young families have moved in too, so the old reputation of Eltham is being changed I believe.

Please
or

Notanotherlostone · 23/09/2022 16:11

And you would still be able to get a three bed semi in your budget, with a decent garden.

Please
or

sarahb083 · 23/09/2022 16:12

Coulsdon South or Purley - family friendly, quick to London Bridge and you could get a house for that budget. I'd avoid Croydon itself.

Please
or

stuntbubbles · 23/09/2022 16:15

Catford, Lower Sydenham, Or thereabouts.

Please
or

Lcb123 · 23/09/2022 16:24

Catford, Hither Green, or somewhere near Beckenham Place Park which is beautiful!

Please
or

focuspocus · 23/09/2022 16:44

As a pp said Hither Green, New Eltham and Eltham. Blackheath may be out of budget. You'll definitely get more for your money if you go a little further to the edges of London such as Sidcup, Bexleyheath, Bexley though slightly longer commute and may not be desirable socially in comparison to the other areas mentioned.

Please
or

NameChangeLifeChange · 23/09/2022 16:46

Thanks for all the ideas! I’ve got friends in Catford and I’m not a huge fan. Eltham and Beckenham look like really good options though! Keep any more coming!

OP's posts:
Please
or

KalaniM · 23/09/2022 16:54

Please
or

JamesBondOO7 · 23/09/2022 16:56

NameChangeLifeChange · 23/09/2022 16:46

Thanks for all the ideas! I’ve got friends in Catford and I’m not a huge fan. Eltham and Beckenham look like really good options though! Keep any more coming!

You beat me to it.

Then Google 'street crime in my area' and you will have an idea re street muggings, robberies, house break-ins etc etc

Then check the local schools on the web

Please
or

NameChangeLifeChange · 23/09/2022 19:59

Thanks @JamesBondOO7 . I may be a hideous snob but again I don’t fancy TH @KalaniM

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rankin11 · 23/09/2022 21:32

You could in West Enfield at a push. Green and safe. It's about 45 minutes to London Bridge and you're right on the northern edge of London so you can get on the road to the North with ease (my extended family up there)

Please
or

Davros · 23/09/2022 21:51

I always say Hanwell. it's a lovely, historic area with real community vibe and now on the Elizabeth line

Please
or

NameChangeLifeChange · Yesterday 07:32

@Davros I’ve never heard of hanwell but looks affordable! I think I need a trip down to have a mosey around these places

OP's posts:
Please
or

BendingSpoons · Yesterday 07:51

There are several nice looking houses in Banstead (you need to be on the Nork side for the station). The compromise would be the commute, as the trains are slow and infrequent, plus not much in the way of buses. You could also try Ewell, again a long train.

Carshalton Beeches/Wallington might work but would be right at the top of your budget I would think, so it might be a compromise on house. You would also need to carefully check secondary options, as some areas are trickier for that.

Please
or

Haus1234 · Yesterday 07:56

If you don’t mind a small house or a flat then try Crystal Palace - pretty near your old house!

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127290890#/?channel=RES_BUY

Please
or

JorisBonson · Yesterday 08:02

Fellow ex Penge dweller who had to move! Currently in Sidcup and very happy - there's a really good amount of decent bars / restaurants with more popping up (the gentrification is starting to creep in!), some beautiful green spaces and 20 minutes on the fast train to London Bridge. Also a short drive / cheap Uber to abbey wood for the Liz line.

Please
or

Fizzgigg · Yesterday 08:07

We moved to Eltham last December and love it. Lots of open space and activities for kids. Good schools. Your budget would get you a 3 bed semi or tereace in parts of Eltham for sure. We paid 680 but that's for a semi with loft conversion to make it a 4.bed plus kitchen extension and summer house. Nearby houses in your budget for sure.

Please
or

NameChangeLifeChange · Yesterday 09:13

Thanks @Fizzgigg I do like eltham! A friend lives there in the old fisherman type cottages and I studied at greenwich uni so would go through on the bus and it looked nice!

OP's posts:
Please
or

NameChangeLifeChange · Yesterday 09:23

@Fizzgigg this looks nice www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126052259#/?channel=RES_BUY is this area ok?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LadyEloise1 · Yesterday 09:40

And it has a south west facing garden !!!!

Please
or

Fizzgigg · Yesterday 10:09

@Fizzgigg this looks nice www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126052259#/?channel=RES_BUY is this area ok?

Lovely house! Yeah you're not far from the high street. My kids go to scouts close to there. I don't know much about the trains from New Eltham (as opposed to Eltham) but it is nice there alright.

Please
or

thefatpotato · Yesterday 10:30

That's really gorgeous! Eltham isn't bad, Plumstead Common/Shooters Hill also nice but gets less nice the further into Woolwich you get. Definitely much more for your money than further into Greenwich!

Please
or

Pinkdelight3 · Yesterday 10:46

This isn't the most beautiful house, but it's in a great spot, right by Westow Park and a stone's throw from Crystal Palace triangle. V family friendly and green, buzzy area - best place to live according to some broadsheet recently - www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125244047#/?channel=RES_BUY

Don't be put off by the towerblock, have a proper look around, it's really nice. There's a few others around there in your price range, from smaller places right in the heart of CP - www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127290890#/?channel=RES_BUY to bigger places a bit further away www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127231349#/?channel=RES_BUY

Sure you know the area as you lived nearby but it's really evolved in the last few years - finally got its (beautiful) cinema, festival, market, and loads going on. Worth a snoop around there, and perhaps down towards South Norwood too. A bit less lovely in places, but Norwood Jcn is great for fast transport into town.

Please
or

SD25 · Yesterday 11:03

Around Norwood Junction is great transport, lots of green space, close to Crystal Palace, Beckenham. High Street improving.

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/127304126

Please
or

LadyLapsang · Yesterday 21:17

A three bed house has just come on the market with JDM in Crown Lane, Chislehurst, BR7. Very near Ofsted Good primary, St Nicholas, you would be at school in 5 minutes -walking, and the train direct from Chislehurst to London Bridge takes 20-25 minutes. Safe and family friendly.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?