Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tiny kitchen design - would you go for more worktop space or bigger fridge/freezer

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 07:28

Teeny tiny kitchen (smaller than 2x2.5m) and essentially need to pick between having a tall fridge/freezer or worktop space. If we had a full heigh fridge freezer, the only worktop space would be above one cupboard and the adjacent corner (well and beside the sink but that would be draining board as no dishwasher). Only two of us, unlikely to have kids here. I am thinking a bigger fridge freezer is the best option but mindful we have very little worktop space and would then need to consider perhaps the microwave being wall mounted/in top cupboards to free up space.

OP's posts:
Please
or

custardbear · 22/09/2022 07:31

Can you put the fridge freezer elsewhere like in the garage? Or could you have under counter separate fridge and freezer with more cupboards eye height?

Please
or

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 07:35

Sadly no garage as it’s a little flat, and no more space under counter. There’s only space against 2 walls for units (L shaped) and that’s washing machine, under sink cupboard, corner cupboard, oven then fridge/freezer, no extra space for anything under counter sadly

OP's posts:
Please
or

FurAndFeathers · 22/09/2022 07:35

Where’s your washing machine? I have a tiny kitchen but have worktop above one cupboard and the washing machine, plus it overhangs deliberately by about 6 inches to give me extra space ( kitchen is an alcove so counter top juts into livening space a bit.) Then a full size fridge freezer

Please
or

Aixellency · 22/09/2022 07:37

If only two of you could you prioritise the worktop space and put the freezer elsewhere? It’s miserable trying to prepare food with inadequate space - going into the kitchen will become a source of stress as neither of you will want to do it.

Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 22/09/2022 07:40

I meant elsewhere in the flat. Do you have any hall space? Or a corner of the sitting room? Throw something over it and it’ll disappear.

Please
or

RandomMess · 22/09/2022 07:49

Washing machine in the bathroom - as per the rest of Europe!

Sounds mad possibly use a laundrette service?

Personally I would choose worktop space.

Another option is an induction job as it's flat you can use it more like worktop than a gas hob.

Please
or

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 07:50

Potentially in the hallway, I did consider this before actually, perhaps an extra freezer. Only slight concern is likely to sell in the next couple of years and could be unsightly, but practically would work for us

OP's posts:
Please
or

sjxoxo · 22/09/2022 07:51

Worktop space. An oversized fridge freezer will make it feel really cramped. No question for me. Washing machine & fridge elsewhere in flat if possible xo

Please
or

RandomMess · 22/09/2022 07:52

Have a wall hanging draining Station over/near the sink.

Please
or

chilliesandspices · 22/09/2022 07:57

Is there space for a pull out countertop to be used? The type that slide out under the main countertop. Is there a space on the opposite wall when you could put a small shallow table instead of a large countertop?

How often do you use your microwave? When I had a tiny tiny kitchen I decided not to get a microwave and used the space above the counter for shelves for extra storage. It was so small that the only work surface was the draining board but I did squeeze a small foldout table into the living room and got used to prepping food there and moving back and forth to the kitchen.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 22/09/2022 07:59

More worktop space if you can - I have a tiny kitchen - and I did in my last place too- so you got my sympathy. Not enough worktop space is hellish and everything is always a mess. It also looks horrible and will be hard to sell.

Look creatively at ways to stick more stuff higher up so you can have fridge and freezer next to each other and run the worktop over the top. So those wall units for plates and crockery, shelves rather than big cupboards, pots and pans hung on walls, mugs hung under shelves. You’d be surprised how much you can get on the walls..

Please
or

Squeezedsquash · 22/09/2022 07:59

We need a diagram :)

in that situation I got rid of our microwave, as I valued the workspace over the microwave.

Please
or

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 08:01

Use the microwave a lot (several times a week) so definitely want to keep. Think we should have enough space to have in integrated with top cupboards though 🤞🏻

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 08:11

This is just a rough plan using DIY kitchens planner, for if it was a full height fridge/freezer. (Would have to sort out the gap but ignore that!) you can see the only worktop space would be between sink and hob. Under counter fridge would make more space to the right of hob.
nothing can go on wall C due to window.

Tiny kitchen design - would you go for more worktop space or bigger fridge/freezer
OP's posts:
Please
or

Ariela · 22/09/2022 08:12

Is there anywhere to have a pull out or fold down (like a pub bar) counter top? A friend of mine has got a pull out worktop from underneath the worktop over the top of her washing machine, and 2 legs (that slot either side of the washing machine) then drop down and lock into place for when you need extra space. Otherwise she has nowhere to dish up if cooking for more than 2 .

Please
or

trulyconfuseddotcom · 22/09/2022 08:13

If you're going to put a freezer in the hall, get a front-opening one with drawers and try to make it look more like a useful space rather than a freezer plonked in a hallway, IYKWIM - maybe you could do something similar to these, so you create some useful extra storage too? Agree that worktop space is v important, not having enough would put me right off buying a flat.

Please
or

Quitelikeacatslife · 22/09/2022 08:14

Can you do under counter fridge freezer with worktop on top? Or is there room to put a movable butchers block type thing on end so you can store things on it? Or undef counter fridge and store a little chest freezer somewhere else in flat (can be discretely covered or get joiner to build in cupboard or do that idea but with washing machine . If build in cupboard in hallway could use top of washer to dry laundry? Then have under counter freezer

Please
or

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 08:15

This is a good idea!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lurkingandlearning · 22/09/2022 08:26

I have a pull out work top that doesn’t need legs. It was an “accessory” when I replaced old kitchen. When closed it looks like a drawer. Don’t miss the drawer space

Please
or

Mbear · 22/09/2022 08:29

We had a kitchen similar size - although different layout as you had to go through the kitchen to the back door. Tall fridge freezer and washing machine all in there as well. It was fine and you just get used to it - and it saves you money on kitchen gadgets that would not fit! One thing that helped a little were these chopping boards with a little lip we got from ikea. They stacked on top of each other, but then when we weren’t using the hob, we would put one on there. Bit of extra prep room and space after washing up etc.

Please
or

Rummikub · 22/09/2022 08:36

Tall Fridge freezer. Your kitchen similar size to mine. Same thinking re work top or tall fridge freezer. I opted for less work top

Could you get a chopping board that fits over the sink as extra space? Or a rolling mini island ? (IKEA £100?)

it is a pain having less work too but think it’s worse to have less fridge/freezer space.

What’s next to washing machine? In that gap?

Please
or

Yewtown · 22/09/2022 08:45

Put the hob oven in the corner, we had this in a previous house and it worked very well. It maximises the work top space.

Please
or

Baxdream · 22/09/2022 09:09

Can you centralise the main door? Then you get another row of units?
Personally I wouldn't put a freezer in the hallway

Please
or

MarianneVos · 22/09/2022 09:13

Ditsy90print · 22/09/2022 08:11

This is just a rough plan using DIY kitchens planner, for if it was a full height fridge/freezer. (Would have to sort out the gap but ignore that!) you can see the only worktop space would be between sink and hob. Under counter fridge would make more space to the right of hob.
nothing can go on wall C due to window.

Is there no worktop space above the washer/drier? My hob is above mine.

Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 22/09/2022 09:21

OP … If you own the flat surely you can reconfigure it to suit you?

(Had assumed you were stuck with what landlord / letting agents had arranged.)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?