Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The ultimate bread bin ....does it exist?

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 10:44

I there such as a thing as a large bread bin that looks nice and keeps bread fresh and doesn't have a lift off lid that means you have to peer into it or dig around in it blind?
I need a roll top or drop down type bread bin. My current one is on its last legs and dated as anything, orange pine thing.
Time for me to replace it with something more good looking but equally efficient for holding a loaf, some crumpets, a couple of packets of potato cakes, and inevitably some random chocolate and half finished packet of nuts..
Who has a bread bin that looks good and dies a great job, please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 10:45

does a great job...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Apatite1 · 24/03/2015 11:03

Not tried it myself but would the alessi bread bin suit you?

I can't seem to post a link via my mobile strangely so please google it!

Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 11:16

It does look groovy, Apatite, Thankyou, just googled it! But Amazon reviews say it's too small to take much of a loaf. Shame, because it's quite funky.

OP's posts:
Please
or

kingprawntikka · 24/03/2015 11:38

Please
or

CreamSubstitute · 24/03/2015 12:03

I'm really pleased with my Wesco Grandy bread bin. Comes in lots of colours as well. We cram loads into it.

Please
or

Thesnowmansnose · 24/03/2015 12:10

there was a joseph joseph one, that had a top you could use as a bread board - may still be around? am half heartedly on the same quest (we use the plastic bag on toaster solution at the moment...)

Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 12:28

That's a classic, kingprawn, my default setting. I'm currently flirting with branching out, but we all know, pride goes before a fall, or some such bread bin boredom related cautionary phrase that I can't think of atm.

The grandy is super snazzy , I think I need to do some sensible tape measuring activity on my worktop.

The Joseph joseph one looks lovely. But I want a truly practical one. Not a lift off lid and rummage around inside one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FunMitFlags · 24/03/2015 12:33

We have the Joseph Jospeh one and find it very practical for our needs. It must be 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. Bottom bit can be thrown in the dishwasher which is a huge bonus.

Please
or

wowfudge · 24/03/2015 13:18

Brabantia - Dunelm have a stainless steel one for £27.99. Drop front. Will take very large loaf.

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 24/03/2015 13:21

I saw this in Next the other day and thought the drawer would be very useful. I think it comes in other colours too.

Please
or

wowfudge · 24/03/2015 13:26

The potential problem with a bread bin with a lift up lid is that you can't easily put it in a cupboard if you don't have counter space for it. Ours is in a cupboard with bread board slotted on top of it.

Please
or

Stearinlys · 24/03/2015 13:40

I have a joseph joseph one and it was £50 I think, but even though I like it, I'm wishing I'd spent £80 on an orla kiely one!

Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 13:56

I have mine on a counter but with cupboards above, so lift up lid no good for us.

The Brabantia one looks very very practically succesful, am considering it!

The next one is very cute.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BigGlasses · 24/03/2015 13:59

Please
or

kissedbyamoonbeammyarse · 24/03/2015 14:04

Please
or

Vitamints · 24/03/2015 14:10

I came on here to recommend the Brabantia drop-front breadbin wow suggested. I have a small kitchen so it needed to be strong enough to support things being stacked on top of it and still accessible too. It's excellent - the bread doesn't go mouldy, it's huge on the inside while being compact outside, and it's easy to clean.

Please
or

ophiotaurus · 24/03/2015 14:15

I bought the brabantia one last week it's great. It comes in other colours on Amazon but is more expensive than the steel version.

Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 17:06

BigGlasses did your something similar cost a similar price/ I luff that bread bin but no way paying £110 for it. Thinking I could paint one and add a nice handle myself to make it look the same! I like it very much.But I dont need the little bread board tucked in the bottom of it.
The site says metal bread bins are not as good. I wonder if that is true.

All these brabantia votes are very helpful, thankyou. Seems like it would be a good choice.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zinxie · 24/03/2015 17:08

kissed thats a good one if you have the height for it. Our bread bin goes under the wall cupboard so cant be a tall one. Nice though, handy for bagels etc, as well as bread.

OP's posts:
Please
or

kissedbyamoonbeammyarse · 24/03/2015 17:30

Measured its height. 36cms.

Please
or

Fab41 · 25/03/2015 13:55

I now have bread bin envy for the Ella's Kitchen one, and I would need the board to store underneath. Now I just need to find £150...

Please
or

BigGlasses · 25/03/2015 14:03

Sorry, never looked at price. Mine was no where near that! Mine is white washed wood not blue/green so not quite as nice, but same idea. Think is was Homebase. Or maybe Sainsburys. Was about 3 years ago though

Please
or

Devora · 25/03/2015 15:10

My mouth is watering at that Ella's Kitchen one, but I can't justify the price either. We'd have to sell the house to afford it, and end up living in it...

Please
or

LizzieMint · 25/03/2015 17:13

Watching cos we really need a new, massive breadbin. We often have a loaf and a half, plus two packs of crumpets plus a few bagels on the go and ours just ends up piled on top of our too-small breadbin.

Please
or

LizzieMint · 25/03/2015 17:17

Found one which looks like the Ella's kitchen one here
www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Buttermilk-Bread-Bin/Product1_22051_-1_313014_10551

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.