My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Parenting a preteen can be a minefield. Find support here.

Preteens

11 year old Dd has a moustache 😩

53 replies

MummyCool19 · 12/05/2019 18:40

Iv notice it the past month or so. At first I thought it was dirt (😂🤷🏻‍♀️) but it’s not. It’s quite dark, and definitely visible. Not commented on it, just worried about when she goes high school.

Do I leave her until she notices it? And if she does what do I do if it bothers her?

OP posts:
Farmerswifey12 · 12/05/2019 20:15

Please please don't leave it. I had this problem at school and was picked on relentlessly for it.

zoezipp · 12/05/2019 20:16

Don’t bleach it. I’m honestly confused about why people think bleached hair is invisible. Its still visible it’s just lighter. It’s particularly prominent in the sun. Hair removal creams are very irritating so I would get it threaded or waxed. Kids can be extremely mean so I’d definitely tackle this before she starts secondary school

froufroufoxes · 12/05/2019 20:22

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoafofSellotape · 12/05/2019 20:45

Surely it looks more natural to have some light hair than a naked top lip? No,it just looks like bleached hair and very odd especially in the sunlight.

ReedBunting · 12/05/2019 20:50

How about one of the smooth finish tools by tweezerman? Really easy to use you just hold the small handles and rotate both at the same time.
I would guess it would be safe for a child's skin too.
Will attempt link...

www.tweezerman.co.uk/smooth-finish-facial-hair-remover/

mimibunz · 12/05/2019 20:53

Don’t use Jolene! It will give her a blonde moustache and those look awful.

SpoonBlender · 12/05/2019 21:02

Hair growing back darker is a myth. It doesn't happen.

redbedheadd · 12/05/2019 21:03

I got mine waxed when I was young and I don't have one at all now. I personally wouldn't like putting chemicals on the face.

MaryBoBary · 12/05/2019 21:03

What about a No No? I've never used one but they are supposed to be pain free and good for facial hair. I would broach the subject gently, but definitely discuss it with her.

MissPollyHadADolly19 · 12/05/2019 21:09

Don't leave it whatever you do!!
Threading is the best option IMO. I had a horrible hair remover cream incident around the same age as your DD, ended up with a chemical burn tache instead Sad the bullies had the time of their lives the next day the rest of the school year

Fazackerley · 12/05/2019 21:12

Lumea.

onesie1001 · 12/05/2019 21:18

I've just started waxing upper lip for my 11 year old DD. Hair removal cream is too harsh as is bleach. I used to bleach when I was a teenager and I think it makes the hair grow longer.

Teddybear45 · 12/05/2019 21:18

At 11 the only option is threading (painful the first time but if she does it every 2-3 weeks it will be a lot less) or sugaring (less painful) as most places won’t offer wax / bleach / laser at her age and you shouldn’t use hair removal cream either.

I come from a South Asian background and so for me personally threading is a better option at that age in terms of effects on the skin. It can also bypass spots and acne if you go to an experienced threader.

Howzaboutye · 12/05/2019 21:22

Whatever you do, make sure she uses SPF 50 on after the treatment. And do the treatment in the evening, so the skin can repair a bit before the morning.
Otherwise she will be getting sun damage (speaking from experience here)

And my opinion is- Lazer or IPL. Safer than using chemicals and should last well.

LoafofSellotape · 12/05/2019 21:22

Of course threading isn't the only option,what a bizarre notion.

She's 11,let her deal with it if she wants to at home and she can choose to go elsewhere if she wants to.

7salmonswimming · 12/05/2019 21:32

Whoever made the comment that everyone has fine blonde hair all over their face: you do appreciate that not everyone who posts on MN is white or had blonde hair Confused

Next think you’ll be advising her to put a —white— skin coloured plaster over it

Flurgle · 12/05/2019 21:32

Thing is , bleaching is fine if the hair isn’t too abundant. If you have really strong growth it takes ages to get to blonde (via orange) and also can look odd - especially if the skin is olivey, which it often is if you have dark thick hair.
If you go to a good threader it won’t hurt too much. Or get it waxed, but that pulls the skin more.

Teddybear45 · 12/05/2019 21:48

@LoafofSellotape - you are assuming her facial hair is of the type that can be dealt with at home. Dark thick hair often can’t be - shave it, it grows back as green stubble; hair removal creams don’t work effectively on thick dark hair (but can cause damage to the skin at that age - my sister has permanent scarring on her shoulders from trying Nair at 10 years old), and no responsible mum should ever consider home bleaching her kids’ hair. Even sugaring isn’t something to try for the first hair removal experience because it takes time to get the mixture right on pre-teen skin without causing flare ups - and I’m sure if the OP was experienced in this she wouldn’t have posted.

At 11 threading is the only option.

LoafofSellotape · 12/05/2019 21:54

Teddybear45

I'm not assuming anything but plenty of people deal with facial hair at home. She's 11 she's needs to decide what to do not be dragged off to a threading place.

LoafofSellotape · 12/05/2019 21:55

Green stubble?

Teddybear45 · 12/05/2019 21:59

@LoafofSellotape- I don’t know any non-white people who deal with upper lip/facial hair at home. It’s often not even possible. Plucking the odd stray eyebrow hair possibly - defuzzing an entire upperlip? Hell no. The threading place is the place where the experts are and so that’s the place to go.

ChesterDrawsDoesntExist · 12/05/2019 22:02

DD has upper lip hair which showed up around 11. I told her to ignore it at first but a vile little bully wrote "DD Fullname is a fucking man! DD has a moustache" on a lamppost outside our house.

We bought some hair removal cream and took it off pretty swiftly.

Please make sure to do it on a Friday night though because it can turn red and be obvious to her school friends.

redwoodmazza · 12/05/2019 22:04

I used to get teased about my facial hair when I was young. I was very dark haired [grey now!]. I tried hair removal cream that I bought myself when I was about 10 - and ended up with damaged skin on my top lip as a result. Took ages to heal too.
I have used Jolen Cream Bleach for many years. I have never experienced orange hairs! Just blond ones which were nowhere near as noticeable as my black ones.

Loopytiles · 12/05/2019 22:08

I had this issue from that age and used removal cream (sensitive), patch test first, and stuck with the same brands. vital to time it carefully, caused unsightly chemical burns when was 13. Was mortified but luckily it was on a Friday, stayed at home from school, and by Monday was OK. Only did that once! Blush

Heard a dermatologist on Womens Hour talking about bikini line hair removal , think she said that all forms of hair removal damage the skin, no methods are less damaging than others.

froufroufoxes · 12/05/2019 22:10

@7salmonswimming you're right. I've assumed the poster is Caucasian. I didn't mean to offend anyone so I've asked for the post to be removed.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.