Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Hospital bag dilemma

JaffaJaffaJaffa · 16/09/2017 19:46

Other than the usual obvious items on most 'lists' out there (maternity notes, clothes for mum and baby, toiletries, phone and charger, money, etc) is there anything else that you couldn't do without and were glad you chucked in?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Efferlunt · 16/09/2017 19:50

Water bottle with sports cap for drinking. Small spray bottle for misting water on your face. Headphones for listening to music.

Please
or

INeedNewShoes · 16/09/2017 19:50

Dried apricots! Worthwhile keeping things moving as I've heard from loads of friends that going to the loo following birth was awful so I ate 6 dried apricots every day for a week!

Please
or

Katkin14 · 16/09/2017 19:51

A hand held battery fan. But it was a heat wave. Also sent DH for ice lollies. Bluetooth speaker was pretty good to so I could play my own music. Packed so much food and didn't eat any of it.

Please
or

Winteriscomingneedmorewood · 16/09/2017 19:51

Magazines and a pen!!

Please
or

JaffaJaffaJaffa · 16/09/2017 19:52

I've not heard of the apricot trick before - did it actually help?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

24hoursfliesby · 16/09/2017 19:53

Arnica tablets to help with healing.

Please
or

INeedNewShoes · 16/09/2017 19:54

It worked for me. I had no issues going to the loo and I think drinking plenty of water and eating the apricots must have made a difference.

Please
or

ScarletSienna · 16/09/2017 19:55

Massive pads. Tena lady maximum size I found good. Oh and big pants to put them in.

Please
or

MarmaladeAtkinsX · 16/09/2017 19:59

A couple of blankets for baby, much cosier than the towels and linen supplied by the hospital.

Food for you and DP - sometimes these things drag on and it was helpful to have a snack for both of us, also toothbrushes for both.

Please
or

LauraAndBaby · 16/09/2017 20:03

water wipes (for when you've been to the loo) & lip balm xx

Please
or

jacketpotatobeansandcheese · 16/09/2017 20:15

My own pillow- although I was in for 5 days. It was a good tip from a friend.

Please
or

foodiemama26 · 16/09/2017 20:41

still lucozade and percy pigs! night dress with buttons down the front for ease when trying to establish feeding.

Please
or

Nan0second · 16/09/2017 20:43

Mainly show your partner exactly where everything is. Women pack the bag and then the birth partner invariably needs to find a vest / hat / sleep suit after the birth (and can't!)

Please
or

INeedNewShoes · 16/09/2017 20:44

I used packing cubes and had a small packing cube of just baby clothes so that whoever ended up dressing baby could find them easily.

Please
or

TheSleeperandTheSpindle · 16/09/2017 20:48

Cartons of juice with a straw. I spent most of my labour on all fours so straws meant DH could just hold my drink in front of me.

Please
or

JaffaJaffaJaffa · 16/09/2017 20:50

These responses are great, really useful - thank you - keep 'em coming!

OP's posts:
Please
or

1stTimeRounder · 16/09/2017 21:04

I second the Lucozade. I didn't eat at all so my only enegerh was from these drinks.

Packing cubes are useful but equally zip lock bags (the big ikea 2.5L ones are great) to pack a baby outfit in each one.

An extension lead with 4 (or more) plug sockets on it. Plug sockets were at a premium in the delivery room and this meant both my partner and I could charge our phones and keep the Bluetooth speaker plugged in at the same time. Also gave us a bit of length from the plug to the bed. This is also a GREAT tip for holidays; only need one travel adaptor but you have 4 plug sockets!!

Please
or

Marley45 · 16/09/2017 21:05

My own pillow, and drinking straws!

Please
or

SnowiestMountain · 16/09/2017 21:05

A make up bag or something to put your pads in, better than wandering up and down the ward to the loo with massive pads in your hand!

Please
or

Princesspinkgirl · 16/09/2017 21:32

Magazines incase you can't sleep
Snacks drinks my phone
Headphones cushion

Please
or

lostfrequencies · 16/09/2017 21:32

A phone charger with an extra long cable so you can use it whilst it's charging up.

Please
or

kathrynelizabeth3005 · 16/09/2017 21:39

I second a water bottle with a sports cap! I apparently kept saying to DH to "feed me water like a hamster" when I was in labour Hmm

Also lip balm was a must for me as my lips were really chapped from all the gas and air!

Please
or

Spam88 · 16/09/2017 21:48

Witch hazel to put on your maternity pads. I took slipper socks for during labour because my feet are always cold.

Please
or

fatfingeredfran · 16/09/2017 21:51

Tena lady pants - so much comfier than pants+maternity towel. You can just rip them off so no need to bend down to remove. They are soft and comfy and no chance of leaking blood. Towels can move about so high chances of leaking with them. Just make sure you get a large size. They were a godsend for the first few days, then I switched to big normal pants and towels.

Please
or

YouCantArgueWithStupid · 16/09/2017 22:04

If I went into labour right now all I'd care about is lip balm! My lips were chapped to buggery and sore!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.