Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What age did your children learn to use the toilet?

RaeRaeMama · 17/05/2021 18:38

FTM

Wanted to know, what age did your children start learning?

Also, do you have to use a potty? Can you not just use the toilet right away?

OP's posts:
Please
or

VaccineMcQueen · 17/05/2021 19:02

About 3 ish for both of mine. We used a potty first as we don't have a downstairs loo but pretty soon moved on to the loo

Please
or

JivingCoffeeCup · 17/05/2021 19:04

Hi. My DS potty trained just before he turned 3. He went straight to the toilet. We tried a potty and he just couldn't get on with it but toilet was fine. We did use a kid seat when he needed a poo as he was too small and kept slipping down the hole Grinhe has just turned 5 and we managed to get rid of the seat about 2 months ago. Offer both toilet and potty and see which they prefer.

Please
or

Babdoc · 17/05/2021 19:07

Mine both hated the potty and preferred a child seat on the loo, at two years old.

Please
or

Paddingtonsmarmlade · 17/05/2021 19:10

2.1 boy potty to start with. Done in 10 days taking himself no accidents ever
2.2 girl but took 8 weeks only persevered because nappy changes were a battle (she was fine naked it's just trousers where we struggled)

Please
or

BonnyEm · 17/05/2021 19:10

Dc2 was a late starter and skipped potty and went straight to toilet.
Much easier!
Didn't bother with any special toilet seats either. Made it easier when we were out and about.

Please
or

SamMil · 17/05/2021 19:14

Mine is 3.5 and been potty trained for a couple of months. (Wees only, poos are a work in progress Confused?

We probably could have done it earlier if we'd consciously made the effort but we've just gone along with when she wants to do things & it has made it very low stress! Just happened overnight when we all decided no more nappies.

Please
or

Pemberleys · 17/05/2021 19:17

Never used a potty, just had an insert seat for the toilet and a step for them to get up to.

DD was trained really quickly, starting at 2.9, and dry overnight by 3.5. DS started a bit later and not reliably dry until about 6/7 yrs, dry overnight at 8.

Please
or

littleducks · 17/05/2021 19:21

Mine all trained before 3 with trainer seat and the higher version of the toilet stool from ikea

Please
or

Talkwhilstyouwalk · 17/05/2021 19:22

2 years and 3 months

Please
or

sar302 · 17/05/2021 19:26

2yrs 4 months for mine, but it was first lockdown and we had bugger all else to do. We used a potty at first, then transitioned to a toilet with toddler seat. He's 3.5 now and can take himself now he's taller. I now just get a delightful "mummy I need a bum wipe!" When he's pooed.

Please
or

Actuallyabitgreynow · 17/05/2021 19:32

My DS is 4.5 and has only been reliably dry during the day for the past 3 months. Started using the potty since a week after his second birthday, but it was a very long two year slog of training!

It really did just all click into place one day. Although admittedly he has been reliably dry outside of home/preschool for over a year but that might be because I was more conscious of potential accidents when out and about so always made sure there were regular toilet trips.

Please
or

SixDegrees · 17/05/2021 19:39

Started potty training just before 3 with all mine. We have both a potty and a child seat for the toilet.

DC1 and DC2 both got the hang of it, more or less, within a couple of weeks, although wee accidents were not uncommon for a while afterwards.

DC3 got the hang of wees fairly quickly, but poos were another matter. He didn’t crack pooing on the toilet / potty until a few months past his 4th birthday.

Please
or

LST · 17/05/2021 19:43

DS1 was started the day after his 2nd birthday and was dry in about a week and a half. DS2 a week before his 2nd birthday and it took about 2 weeks-ish.

Please
or

Echobelly · 17/05/2021 19:52

DD pooed in potty aged about 2 years 4 months - was so upset about making the potty dirty that she didn't finally get out of nappies until nearly a year later!

DS not until 3.5 years - he's always a been a bit of a late developer, probably related to his ADHD. He just never seemed to have any idea when he needed the loo until then and would sleep through totally soaking himself and the bed.

Please
or

Echobelly · 17/05/2021 19:53

Should say, neither actually used potty in the end, went straight to loo, maybe as they were both at nursery ft and preferred it from there.

Please
or

MeadowHay · 17/05/2021 19:54

We trained at about 26 months. We started with a potty and she started doing a mix of both toilet (with training seat and footstool) and the potty from about 28 months onwards.

Please
or

ILoveMyMonkey · 17/05/2021 20:00

Ds was 2 years 10 months and completely dry by day 3 and dry overnight straight away. We had a potty as no downstairs toilet and a seat for the toilet (which he preferred).

Please
or

EcoCustard · 17/05/2021 20:02

Dc1 was 23 months and started with potty in first week then went straight to the toilet.
Dc2 was 18 months, and was adamant she was going for it (dc3 was a week old). A few days outside with the potty and then straight to the toilet ( she cracked it in about 3 days 🙈).
Dc3 was 19 months and same as her sister cracked it really quickly and showed keen interest when I was heavily pregnant with Dc4. Potty for first few days then toilet.
Dc4 was 23 months and never bothered with the potty went straight to the toilet. It took longer though and so far so good. Has been using it for nearly 6 weeks now. It works for him at nursery too.
We have the IKEA toilet seat upstairs and downstairs a specific seat with a child one built in.

Please
or

Greenmarmalade · 17/05/2021 20:03

23 months
23 months
20 months
22 months

I think it’s good to time it for the summer so they can be outside naked lots and you have fewer clothes/coats to wash.

I started with a potty so I could have one really nearby in every room we were in. Still use it sometimes (well...not me!)

Please
or

Livingintheclouds · 17/05/2021 20:03

About 2 and a quarter to 2 and a half. Both used a potty but I think my son took about two weeks to train and he was using the toilet after that. Dry overnight pretty soon after that. One major accident which was so traumatic (at home though) that it never happened again. Same with daughter - potty while learning them once she got it used the toilet.

Please
or

LordFoofingtonismyMaster · 17/05/2021 20:07

DC 1 was 2 years and 4 months. I tried when I had a week off work and it clicked immediately. No accidents from day one. Wasn't dry overnight consistently for another year.

DC2 was 2! Announced "my no wear those" anymore on her second birthday and refused to put her nappy on. I put knickers on her thinking it would last ten minutes but that was her trained day and night. I literally had nothing to do with it!

Please
or

JaninaDuszejko · 17/05/2021 20:08

3DC. All potty trained during the day not long after their second birthday. Nighttime varied from DD2 who was dry at night at the same time as she was dry during the day to DS who was at school before he was reliably dry at night.

Please
or

GeoffreyGeoffreys · 17/05/2021 20:15

DS was 3. Straight to toilet and never had accidents.

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 17/05/2021 20:44

Out of mine went straight to toilet aged early 2's. I didn't see the point of training on one thing then doing it all over again

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 17/05/2021 20:44

*both not out

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.