Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potty training before 2 - any experiences?

NewMum0305 · 19/12/2020 09:46

I posted before that my now 20-month year old had started asking to poo on the toilet, and getting a bit upset at nappy changes and so was thinking I might have to accelerate plans for potty training (I hadn’t intended to until at least 2, and only then if there were clear signs of readiness - I was definitely in no rush!)

She is still asking, and so my DH and I have decided to give it a go over Christmas as we’ll be home and both on annual leave and we won’t have to worry about nursery for a little while longer.

We’re planning to follow the Oh Crap method but just wondered how other people who trained their toddlers this early found it? Her speech and comprehension are very good so don’t have worries on that score.

x

OP's posts:
Please
or

NewMum0305 · 20/12/2020 09:23

Sunday morning bump x

OP's posts:
Please
or

pastabest · 20/12/2020 09:37

Both of mine were potty trained around 20-22 months.

It was fine. When they are ready they are ready and around this age used be very normal pre disposable nappies being available.

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 20/12/2020 10:11

Thank you, that’s reassuring to hear and yes, I keep reminding myself children used to be trained a lot younger x

OP's posts:
Please
or

pb1234 · 20/12/2020 15:52

Look at Go Diaper Free by Andrea Olson she had a blog and YouTube videos. Great practical advice and easy to follow.

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 20/12/2020 16:23

Thank you, as I’m planning on following the Oh Crap, I’m keen not to complicate things with other methods at this stage but good to know for if it doesn’t work! Was more hoping to hear other people’s experiences and ideally success stories with younger children! x

OP's posts:
Please
or

The8thMonth · 21/12/2020 15:29

I trained two of my boys at this age and DS3 from 18 months (guess I felt experienced Grin and we were in COVID lockdown for 2 months Shock). It's fine and completely doable.

Please
or

SendHelp30 · 21/12/2020 15:30

Definitely doable. DD was dry both day and night at 20 months.

Please
or

LivingMyBestLife2020 · 21/12/2020 15:32

You can only try. I tried my son at 2 (after pestering from MIL) it failed because he wasn’t ready and I knew that. Fast forward 3 months when he was and it was an absolute doddle! When they are ready (which you child sounds) go for it! Hopefully it will be as easy for you as it was us x

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 21/12/2020 21:30

Thank you all - made me feel more confident! Fingers crossed x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ismellphantoms · 21/12/2020 21:34

My DS was under 2. He told me he didn't want nappies any more. I told him he would need one at night. He refused and never once had an accident.

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 21/12/2020 22:56

Wow that’s amazing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

wasthataburp · 22/12/2020 22:15

I'm following this with interest. My son is two in January and we are starting tomorrow. He's showing lots of signs same as you are saying. And we have the break from work and nursery!

Please
or

FiresideTreats · 22/12/2020 22:20

We trained at about 21m using Oh Crap. Just have eagle eyes, expect accidents, and look for progress not perfection.

It took about 5-7 days before we moved to commando. We then waited about another 2-3 weeks before introducing pants.

Start teaching how to push leggings down and pulling them back up if she can't already.

First few days were easy enough then we experienced some resistance and tears. We persuaded with books and even a short video on my phone a few times with no lasting damage. Do what you need to, and don't get too prompty - you'll learn her cues.

Good luck!

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 24/12/2020 17:58

First day hasn’t gone very well - DD has been sometimes happy to sit on the potty but more often resistant. We had 4 wees on the floor this morning and one partially on me and partially on the potty, which garnered lots of praise.

Since waking up from her nap 3 hours ago, she’s not peed one, nor has she pooed though she has said a few times that she needs to poo.

I’m worried that she’s holding it in (though appreciate it’s positive muscle-wise that she’s able to do that!)

Knew it would be tough first day but thought we’d have a few more successes to help encourage her for day 2...

Everything I read suggested we’re just doing too early but she’s been so insistent about wanting to use the toilet and getting upset with nappy changes, so feels like we’re caught in a kind of limbo

OP's posts:
Please
or

NewMum0305 · 24/12/2020 19:28

30 minutes after typing that, my DH had the idea of putting the potty in our coat cupboard as this is where she has been going off to poo in her nappy of late (pre-potty training)

We said to her she could go to the toilet if she needed to and then walked to where she couldn’t see us. She pretty much immediately peed and then stood up and said she wanted to help empty it into the toilet.

So a more positive way to end the day at least

OP's posts:
Please
or

The8thMonth · 25/12/2020 01:08

I always asked mine if they "need privacy?" And then would shut the bathroom door and wait for them. Sometimes the would call or I would hear them get off the potty. I mean, who likes to go while being watched 😐

At nursery, it was cute because they would ask for privacy 😂

Please
or

harrietm1987 · 25/12/2020 06:21

I used oh crap on my son at 18 months - took a few days. I think in some ways it’s easier when they’re younger as they’re so keen to please and don’t have any of the toddler resistance you get later on. He’s nearly 3 now and lots of his peers still aren’t trained and their parents are really struggling with it.

Please
or

Emelene · 25/12/2020 06:29

I used the "oh crap" potty training book and started at 21 months. Trained by 22 months. Now she's 2 yr 1 month and rarely has an accident. We did it then because we were due another baby and didn't want two in nappies, plus my daughter started showing awareness / telling us she was doing a poo in her nappy.

Loads of people said she was too young but obviously not. It's been fabulous to have her use the potty and toilet and she's very proud of herself. Grin

All the best with training! I really recommend the "oh crap" book, very clear and helpful.

Please
or

gerispringer · 25/12/2020 06:40

Give it a go, Both my DDs were out of nappies day and night by 22 months, You do need a clear week or so when you aren’t going anywhere and it’s worth persisting. This was in the days before disposables. I think it’s more difficult when it’s left later.

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 25/12/2020 14:11

Thank you all, we are on Day 2 of Oh Crap (Merry Christmas!) She is holding her pee now and quite resistant to the potty but once she manages to go and we catch some, she’s really interested and loves emptying her pee into the big toilet, flushing and washing her hands.

I definitely feel more likes she’s ready after she sat herself down and peed yesterday so just going to be patient and sensitive to what a big change it is for her!

Very much appreciate the encouraging words, especially today of all days! x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jenu294 · 28/12/2020 11:36

“I definitely feel more likes she’s ready....”

I’ve just responded to a similar post. Anyway I’ve just read this sleep training book and I had no idea that it’s perfectly normal for even children of 7 years to go to bed with night time diapers!

My little girl is 2.5 and also showed signs but after a day of trying to train her it’s as if she’s regressed - now she won’t even entertain using her potty.

The best advice this book gave was to let your child let you know when they’re ready, not the other way around - parents are too anxious to get their children to perform certain tasks within their time frames and the children inevitably suffer in other areas due to stress ie poor sleep.

I’ve given up. Instead I’m going to allow my little one to tell me when she’s ready 😄 I mean who wants to be forced into doing anything - adults certainly don’t. I’m a lot less stressed as a result ha!

Please
or

wasthataburp · 28/12/2020 12:37

We are on day 3 of oh crap and seems to be working only one partial accident today but he seems to be going to the potty when he needs.

We used the same method with my daughter the day after she turned 2 and literally worked in 3 days. From experience the worst thing you could do is put a nappy back on. Once they are off you are committed and will only confuse them by putting back on. Stick with it! It might take a few days longer than you
Hope but it will be worth it.

Please
or

NewMum0305 · 29/12/2020 13:53

@Jenu294 Sounds like you made the right decision for you and your child Flowers

We’re on day 6 now, and things are still
improving and my daughter is a lot happier now so feeling good with our decision. We wouldn’t have trained so early but she explicitly asked us and got upset during nappy changes. It’s working for us so far anyway!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jenu294 · 05/01/2021 12:32

@NewMum0305 that’s great glad to hear it’s going so well 😁

Please
or

leah1991 · 15/01/2021 10:20

Hi everybody, I'm a new user here, just looking for some advice on toilet training

My 2.3 year old will wee and poo on the potty or toilet on her own but only when she is wearing nothing on her bottom half which is how I started doing it with her at home so she could just sit on either one she fancied. But now I'm putting knickers on her so try and teach her to pull them up and down on her own but she just wees and poos in her underwear and trousers. Any ideas how I can deal with this?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.