Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Nearly three and still not...

pugh · 09/07/2012 11:27

remotely interested in potty training.DD 1 is 3 in August and I had a miserably failed attempt at potty training about 5 weeks ago. No concept of doing a pee on potty. She (initially) happily sat on potty...did nothing...then proceeded to wet herself the moment I turned my back ( to look after baby brother). Or to hide and dirty pants. She was begging to have nappy on by the late afternoon (as was I!). 8 changes of clothes by 1300.

She was v slow to walk, v determined (which 2 yo isnt?), and gets freaked out by the mess of being wet/ dirty especially when she sees a poo. I don' t make a fuss about dirty nappies- she is like this about most aspects of dirt/ mess/ crumbs etc.

She knows big girls wear pants; has asked a couple of times to sit on toilet& try to wipe poo away, comes with me to loo...but when do I try again?

Made mistake of looking at Gina Ford one week potty training book. She certainly knows when she is soiling herself, aware of when nappy is wet, can pull trousers up and down.

I am aware of fact that I am going to back to work from Mat leave in a month as well as her being in nappies might keep her back from going to next room at nursery...

Any tips/ advice greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LoonyRationalist · 09/07/2012 12:15

MN has some great resources here
You can't make her be ready, however it does take many children a few days and many accidents to make the transition. You really have to go cold turkey and make it a real focus for at least a week - If they don't have the chance to have accidents some children will not learn to recognise the cues.

Your nursery should not be discriminating against children based on their lack of continence.

Please
or

modifiedmum · 09/07/2012 12:18

I just spent a whole week indoors (yes boring and annoying) to get archie used to the idea it was potty or nothing, that way he could run around naked for a few days then the next few days i was saying what a big boyhe was and he could have pants now. its well worth it and saves the confusion of having to get them to go into public loos or the mad dash or having to carry loads of clothes about "incase" of accidents. He still wears a nappy at night tho as ive been told thats all to do with hormones!

Please
or

pugh · 09/07/2012 16:14

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy for her to have accidents but over a day and a half zero went into potty. Not one pee or poo. How long do you stick with it? When do I try again? I'm on my own with this. Also think its cold turkey or nothing. Discussing fact that nappies are for babies eg her brother etc but doesn't t seem to have any effect.

And what do I do with her little brother while trying to catch her/ keep her from soiling herself? I don't have anyone that can take him. Sorry- not being a martyr and lots of people have done this- but minute I turn my back either he is climbing into a cupboard or she soils herself.

Feels like every child I see is out of nappies. Much like it felt every child was walking before she did at 20mo...and I feel under pressure but also know we have to do it/ don't want to miss an opportunity...

It is getting me down the constant groundhog of her sitting in poo for hours if she could/ avoids us vs her brother screaming theminute he does have a dirty nappy...

OP's posts:
Please
or

LoonyRationalist · 09/07/2012 19:17

Yes cold turkey for a week. Iirc I was ready to give up until dd1 started having small successes on day 5.

beware the nappies are for babies idea, presumably you still want her to wear them at night.
Do you have a playpen, or even a travel cot that you could use to keep ds contained whilst clearing up after dd?

Please
or

VerityClinch · 12/07/2012 13:09

Oh pugh I am in exactly the same place with my DD who has just turned 3, in fact I started a thread just now (should have read this first!)

No advice, obviously, just hand holding. Mine was a late walker too...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.