My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Could you actually be our Prime Minister?

41 replies

Whyareblokesonhere · 05/07/2022 20:16

So just that, could you actually be our Prime minister or is there anything in your past that would come back to haunt you?

I was just contemplating and had a sudden thought that actually I couldn't ever do it because of past activities, not illegal but way too embarrassing and or inappropriate so I'd end up as canon fodder within months.

OP posts:
FortonServices · 05/07/2022 20:28

Office politics irritate me enough. The bitching and backstabbing in the HoC is off the scale.

ajandjjmum · 05/07/2022 20:30

I cannot see why anyone would enter politics - you need to have such a thick skin, and no care of what others might think of you.

I think I'm a strong and competent person, but I couldn't handle the continual judgement.

lljkk · 05/07/2022 20:38

is there anything in your past that would come back to haunt you?

YESS!!!

Paq · 05/07/2022 20:39

I thought this was the announcement of a new reality TV show like "I'd do anything" à la Lloyd Webber.

TheBikiniExpert · 05/07/2022 20:41

is there anything in your past that would come back to haunt you?

I don't think so- probably too boring to be PM!

chipsandpeas · 05/07/2022 20:42

Whyareblokesonhere · 05/07/2022 20:16

So just that, could you actually be our Prime minister or is there anything in your past that would come back to haunt you?

I was just contemplating and had a sudden thought that actually I couldn't ever do it because of past activities, not illegal but way too embarrassing and or inappropriate so I'd end up as canon fodder within months.

drink, drugs, shagging about, so kinda like our PM except i know exactly how many kids i have

FortonServices · 05/07/2022 20:44

I thought this was the announcement of a new reality TV show like "I'd do anything" à la Lloyd Webber.

That's not a bad idea. First past the post doesn't work, so why not try something new?

007DoubleOSeven · 05/07/2022 20:44

Yes of course I could be. Not for the Stabby Stabby Back-Stabby party though.

VeryQuaintIrene · 05/07/2022 20:44

I'd give it a go - can't be much worse at it than the present one!

user143677433 · 05/07/2022 20:44

I think the rules have changed. It used to be that you had to be whiter than white, but surely if the likes of Boris can be PM, with all the skeletons in his closet, anyone can.

MrsTerryPratchett · 05/07/2022 20:45

Fuck yes.

I'd just style it out with any past indiscretions.

CredibilityProblem · 05/07/2022 20:49

It is, it's going to be on Channel 4 presented by Alastair Campbell and Baroness Warsi. Sadly, unlike the Lloyd Webber shows, the winner doesn't actually get the job.

Giveaschitt · 05/07/2022 20:50

I've always said I could never be famous, as I had far too much fun when I was younger...!

ReeseWitherfork · 05/07/2022 20:56

I did some pretty standard “wild” things in my youth but I’m not sure there are any trails or receipts. I feel confident I’ve never tweeted anything racist or homophobic etc though (I think I’ve sent all of a dozen tweets and usually to companies to complain about things) so I’m beating most people in the public eye there.

PlanetNormal · 05/07/2022 20:59

No.

I’m a former Labour activist and I did have political ambitions once, but when it got to the stage that I was being pressurised to stand for election in a safe council seat I backed out. I realised that I don’t have the personality for it. Politics is a people business, obviously, and you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time listening to idiots while asking for their support. It’s also a thankless task at local level, and the people who give up massive quantities of their time & energy to do it have my admiration.

I also realised that as an ordinary local person without strong union connections I would never get the chance to stand for Parliament in a winnable seat. There would always be some well-connected, Oxbridge educated type parachuted in over your head.

Whyareblokesonhere · 06/07/2022 00:51

Actually a very sensible reply, sorry that means you didn't get to live out your political aspirations

There is no way I'd be mentally tough enough to live with the scrutiny

Actually I posted a bit tongue in cheek but the reality saddens me as it just feels like we aren't likely to get the sort of leader/party that od actually like to see in power!!

OP posts:
greywinds · 06/07/2022 11:29

Twitter scrutiny of every aspect of a life - most people don't want to do it and mostly we'll only ever get career politicians with no life experience or personality for this very reason.

minipie · 06/07/2022 11:57

I don’t have any major skeletons but like a PP I just don’t have the right personality - cba sucking up to the “right” people to get ahead, wouldn’t be happy with short term attention grabbing over long term policies etc.

I feel like being in politics is more a sales job than actually running things, let alone improving things.

Crazykatie · 06/07/2022 12:07

PM, or any politician, definitely not, I’m far too honest.
Politicians, even local ones, start wanting to help he community, very quickly they find out the most important thing is following the party line.

RagzRebooted · 06/07/2022 18:48

I have plenty of past indescretions and like PPs am not the right personality. I would love to be in politics in an actual change/decision making capacity but most of it is a big soap opera interspersed with too much admin. Not for me.

Toryscum · 02/10/2022 15:26

Yes I would as a non corrupt anti Brexit anti austerity anti rich fat cat prime minister

I would be a better pm than Liz truss or keir Tory starmer .

OneCup · 02/10/2022 15:28

I would be completely incompetent, so I guess by today's standards, my answer would have to be yes ;)

Hbh17 · 02/10/2022 15:35

Who would want to be? It is an awful job, incredibly badly paid, no down time, constant criticism and always watching out for people who think they could do it better. As the famous saying has it, "all political careers end in failure"!

Incrediblebuttrue · 02/10/2022 16:13

Badly paid?

Eskarina1 · 02/10/2022 16:17

VeryQuaintIrene · 05/07/2022 20:44

I'd give it a go - can't be much worse at it than the present one!

Well this comment aged badly!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.