Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

If there is ww3

39 replies

Sugarplumfairy22 · 06/03/2022 22:01

I know this sounds stupid- I’m very thick when it comes to this sort of thing but what will that mean?
Will the uk get involved?
Will the uk be attacked?
Will it be like ww2? Food rations? Children leaving cities?
All men called to fight?

This may sound ridiculous to you all but I suffer from my nerves terrible. I keep asking my husband and he says he’d rather not talk about it which is so unhelpful

I’m literally in tears about the poor people in Ukraine- I feel so guilty wondering how and if a ww3 would affect the rest of the world

OP posts:
5zeds · 06/03/2022 22:04

Well I guess we might be bombed and then invaded and then have to live governed by another country.

Workinghardeveryday · 06/03/2022 22:06

But wouldn’t it just be nuclear these days?...

ThatPosterIsSoRight · 06/03/2022 22:07

@5zeds

Well I guess we might be bombed and then invaded and then have to live governed by another country.

No that’s not what WW3 would be like.

But if you are suffering from anxiety OP then it’s not a good idea to hear from other people what it would mean. I’d step away from this thread you’ve started if I was you, it’s not going to help.
Sugarplumfairy22 · 06/03/2022 22:08

@Workinghardeveryday

When people say nuclear- is there like a red button and then the end of the world?

Sorry if I sound thick- it’s because I am!
Husband refuses to explain anything to me
OP posts:
Perfectlystill · 06/03/2022 22:09

@5zeds

This is so far from what might happen
HollowTalk · 06/03/2022 22:09

Putin can't just press any button to end the whole of the world! He would be shot dead before that happened. Sooner rather than later would be great.

Hugasauras · 06/03/2022 22:10

Don't rely on your husband to explain! There's plenty of info out there on BBC/the Guardian/Sky News from analysts that's written in very easy to understand language and for people with no prior knowledge.

Gladioli23 · 06/03/2022 22:13

I know you say your husband refuses to explain things, but maybe you could think about listening to some news programmes? I find Newscast on BBC sounds quite an accessible source of news, and you could listen to it while you do jobs or make breakfast or dinner. Then while it might not feel like there is context to start with over time you'd have an understanding of what's going on and it might make things easier.

RoseslnTheHospital · 06/03/2022 22:18

You don't need your husband to explain things to you. For starters, he might not have a decent grasp of what's going on. The BBC website has straightforward explanations of the basics of the Ukraine situation, you could start there.

But there will not be a WW3. Russia doesn't have many true allies, even China are not overly enthusiastic about the current situation in the Ukraine. Putin does have access to nuclear weapons, but the effects of those would be as damaging to Russia as to the rest of the world. It is vanishingly unlikely that he would attempt to use them, and even if he did, there's no guarantee he would be allowed to by his own military.

goingback · 06/03/2022 22:28

@Sugarplumfairy22

I know this sounds stupid- I’m very thick when it comes to this sort of thing but what will that mean?
Will the uk be attacked?
All men called to fight?

This may sound ridiculous to you all but I suffer from my nerves terrible. I keep asking my husband and he says he’d rather not talk about it which is so unhelpful

I’m literally in tears about the poor people in Ukraine- I feel so guilty wondering how and if a ww3 would affect the rest of the world

No
No
Food shortages due to arseholes stockpiling, and farming issues
Why only men called to fight??
Prescottdanni123 · 06/03/2022 22:37

If there is ww3, Russia will have attacked a Nato country by this point and UK will be obligated to get involved.

We won't get invaded. Nobody has been able to invade us successfully since 1066, due to UK geography and the fact that we have a very strong navy force.

If it gets to a certain point, men of a certain age may be expected to join up and fight, like in Ukraine. Albeit there will probably be lots of volunteers, both men and women.

There probably will be food rationing/evacuating people from one area of UK to another, but I don't know what that will look like. Times have changed a lot since ww2.

However, there are a million things that could happen before ww3 is announced. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

OppsUpsSide · 06/03/2022 22:40

*Why only men called to fight??

It’s hardly a far fetched question is it, just look at Ukraine if you think it is an antiquated idea.

Susu49 · 06/03/2022 22:43

You're not stupid, op.

It's OK to not know things. Stupid is when you don't know things because you refuse to listen or learn, both of which clearly don't apply to you.

GreenClock · 06/03/2022 22:50

@RoseslnTheHospital

You don't need your husband to explain things to you. For starters, he might not have a decent grasp of what's going on. The BBC website has straightforward explanations of the basics of the Ukraine situation, you could start there.

But there will not be a WW3. Russia doesn't have many true allies, even China are not overly enthusiastic about the current situation in the Ukraine. Putin does have access to nuclear weapons, but the effects of those would be as damaging to Russia as to the rest of the world. It is vanishingly unlikely that he would attempt to use them, and even if he did, there's no guarantee he would be allowed to by his own military.

Agree with this.

And I’m sure you’re not thick OP. Just worried, and navigating an unusual situation.
Partyatnumber10 · 06/03/2022 22:50

Please don't call yourself stupid OP, you want to learn and to understand which is far from "stupid"

Plus this is a very complex situation with a lot of information out there including a fair bit of false information.

I think we're a long way from WW3 because even Putin's allies seem to be backing slowly away from him and his military power is proving deeply flawed.

I think all our concern should currently be centred around what ordinary citizens in Ukraine (and Russia for that matter) are going through and how we can help them.

mpsw · 06/03/2022 22:52

There's no reason to rely on DH for explanations, when there is so much information readily available. But he might be right about not dwelling on things which feed your worries and which are entirely hypothetical

No-one can predict what a future conflict will be like. We know what's happened on other conflicts, and we can learn from that. We can guess what might happen politically, and military research analysts will plan accordingly .

Whether the politicians will make the right budgets available to MOD to have the right capabilities in the right place is a different matter. For example, thee withdrawal of the garrisons from Germany seemed like a good idea at the time.

The forces are at their smallest numbers. But augmentation will be by recruitment, not conscription. Conflict is (bizarrely) good for recruitment. But the defence budget wouid need to be increased, and do we have the money for that.

UK could in theory be attacked - it's within missile range of potential aggressors. But that's not likely. An attack on one NATO member is an attack on all, and don't see why even Putin would want NATO actively involved at this stage.

Conscription won't happen - the modern battlespace is higher tech and personnel need more training (even if you do also need numerous boots on the ground to actually take territory). But there may be a call for young men and women to join up - as the brute strength roles are no longer the be-all and end-all, there's far less reason to limit to just men. I doubt DC would be evacuated- the population isn't that compliant. I think however that people may indeed seek to leave cities if NATO went into an active war, or send their DC off to granny's - it'll be the same sort of impetus to do sonething 11th hour that drives things like panic buying.

More likely by far is cyber attack on critical national infrastructure

PatterPaws · 06/03/2022 22:56

He sounds as though he'd be a bit of a mansplainer, so you're better off getting your info from Sky News, BBC & the Guardian. These three are all available on your phone without charge.

movingon2022 · 06/03/2022 22:59

Please do not worry OP, I am no expert in politics and war but I am very confident that there will be no WW3.
HugsFlowers

Motherofcats007 · 06/03/2022 23:02

Truth is nobody really wants WW3 to happen. You’re more than welcome to read up on the subject but since you suffer from anxiety only you can decide whether being more informed will help your anxiety or not.

RusticCharminglyCrumbled · 06/03/2022 23:08

You are not stupid, most people don't really know what's going on, or why. I try and stay informed of world politics, because I'm interested, not because I think it's essential. But, I often don't know much about the big news stories most people seem to talk about. If I ever need an easy starting point, I look at BBC Newsround. I know it's for children but it's often less biased than other news outlets, it isn't complicated and if you want to know more, it often explains the explains the backstory too. There is a whole section on Ukraine. As for a world war, know one knows. What we do know are that there are lots of wars going on, including ones both UK and Russia are fighting in, like Syria. The world is involved but we've not been too worried about our safety, beyond the increased risk of terror attacks. It's ok to be worried, lots of people are.

mila5star · 06/03/2022 23:12

Its highly unlikely we are headed for WW3. We live in a completely different world now, including having WW1 and WW2 firmly in our consciousness. I feel so sad for the people of Ukraine it's utterly heartbreaking. We need to make it easier for the refugees to get here.

marvingale · 06/03/2022 23:13

@Sugarplumfairy22

Will the uk be attacked?
All men called to fight?

Nuclear weapons will be deployed. UK will be a target. Millions will die. Literally.
It would be very hard to come back from this for generations.
marvingale · 06/03/2022 23:14

@Workinghardeveryday

Not just. But unavoidable when fighting with psychopaths
marvingale · 06/03/2022 23:16

@HollowTalk

Putin can't just press any button to end the whole of the world! He would be shot dead before that happened. Sooner rather than later would be great.

Well, I guess if it was that easy, to shut Putin, that would have happened already. Of course he will, don't be naïve. He does the unthinkable, did you not follow him in the last 20 years?
MsAmerica · 06/03/2022 23:20

@Sugarplumfairy22

Will the uk be attacked?
All men called to fight?

Obviously no one can know the answers to anything specific. Except the first question: Of course the UK will be involved. That's what "World War" means.

I agree, that must be frustrating to be brushed off by your husband. If you don't have a few friends to talk it over with, maybe you'd like to try a website with more robust political discussion.
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.