Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Writing to my MP to get Boris to resign

113 replies

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 10:39

I am thinking about writing to my MP asking him to get Boris to resign. I've had enough of his lies, his people partying, everything. Has anyone else done this? Will it do any good?

OP posts:
BIWI · 15/01/2022 10:40

I wrote to my MP this morning.

I have no idea if it will do anything (he is a very true blue Tory!), but the more people write to express their views, the more an MP has to consider the constituents he is representing.

So yes, write!

BIWI · 15/01/2022 10:41

'he or she is representing' I should have said, obviously!

Opal8 · 15/01/2022 10:43

Wrote to mine and he's sent a letter to Graham Brady

twilightcafe · 15/01/2022 10:45

Same. I have written to ours to register my view on Johnson.

Our MP has her eye on a Ministerial post, so will back whoever is Prime Minister.
But she should be representing her constituency whether they voted for her or not.

Sheabutterisdelish · 15/01/2022 10:45

Yes I've written to mine and in a very strong Tory seat. He wrote back immediately to agree his patience is wearing very thin so pleased enough with that response.

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 10:46

@Opal8

Wrote to mine and he's sent a letter to Graham Brady

I don't think mine can do that as he's a Cabinet minister.
OP posts:
PurpleDaisies · 15/01/2022 10:47

I have. I think an inbox full of emails like that tells them their constituents actually care about this.

CorrBlimeyGG · 15/01/2022 10:48

I don't think mine can do that as he's a Cabinet minister.

He can, if he values his constituents more than his boss.

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 10:49

@twighlightcafe - surely she should have her eye on the next local elections. Is she in a safe Tory seat?

I've drafted something that said that I feel that the Tory MPs don't take some action then they are sanctioning that behaviour and aren't for to govern, so whilst he is PM I couldn't consider voting Tory. Not that I was going to anyway, but what does he know.

OP posts:
PurpleDaisies · 15/01/2022 10:49

MPs can privately submit letters to Graham Brady without announcing it.

AlexaShutUp · 15/01/2022 10:50

I have written to mine. Haven't heard back yet. She is usually pretty loyal to the government and hasn't spoken out on recent revelations. It will be interesting to get her response back.

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 10:50

@CorrBlimeyGG I thought frontbenchers can attend 1922 Committee meetings but have no voting rights.

OP posts:
LeQuern · 15/01/2022 10:51

Yep. I have also written to mine (a seat that could easily swing orange). Laid out my disgust and my desire that Johnson resigns.

eagerlywaitingfor · 15/01/2022 10:52

It would be a waste of time writing to mine. She's already in the cabinet, and has been on telly this week, nailing her colours (bright pink) to the mast. It is quite clear where her loyalties are.

Opal8 · 15/01/2022 10:52

Mine is a full on erg loon and still wrote the letter

Bottom line: he wants to keep his job

PurpleDaisies · 15/01/2022 10:53

If nothing else, it’s quite cathartic to send an email laying out everything that is wrong with politics at the moment.

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 10:56

@eagerlywaitingfor - well, that's what I thought too. But I figured that if I basically said that there's no way I'd vote for him locally if he didn't take action then maybe he'd think twice about it. I think the more people who write, the more it might make him think and maybe say / do something. I've never written to any MP about anything before and I can't be the only one who hasn't either so i'm hoping he gets a feel for the mood of the people.

OP posts:
whiteworldgettingwhiter · 15/01/2022 10:57

Yes, I did yesterday.

My mp supported Cummings resigning after breaking the rules so he should support Johnson resigning too, but will he?! 🙄

AlexaShutUp · 15/01/2022 10:58

Yes, volume is key. If they get enough emails in their inbox, it will help to focus their minds.

rrhuth · 15/01/2022 11:00

MPs are usually very alert to letters, for every letter written many more are thinking the same thing.

Send a letter. It can't hurt and could be part of nudging them in the right direction.

TrufflesAndToast · 15/01/2022 11:00

@eagerlywaitingfor

It would be a waste of time writing to mine. She's already in the cabinet, and has been on telly this week, nailing her colours (bright pink) to the mast. It is quite clear where her loyalties are.

I disagree. She will care about keeping her own job more than she cares about supporting Boris. If enough of them realise people will never vote for them again while he is at the helm, they will feel a lot less loyal to their dear leader. Please do write. I live in a labour area otherwise absolutely would be doing this and I’m so glad to hear so many of you are.
Frazzled2207 · 15/01/2022 11:01

Well the more of us do it the more likely they are to do sthg so yeah worth doing

My mp has already done so.

MPs need to understand the strength of feeling among their constituents. Especially from those who would normally vote for them.

CurlyhairedAssassin · 15/01/2022 11:02

Never mind this, I can't understand why people aren't planning a march in London near Downing St. If thousands of people shouting "Get Boris out" doesn't make him ashamed enough to step down I don't know what will....

DestroyerOfHouseplants · 15/01/2022 11:07

@CurlyhairedAssassin I think for Boris, the pen is mightier than the sword. He's the type of snobbish, arrogant, intellectual who thinks that people who march are just mobs, the hoi polloi, the great unwashed.

OP posts:
CurlyhairedAssassin · 15/01/2022 11:15

Nah, I reckon he thinks that on a superficial level, Destroyer, but deep down if downright hatred and disgust was displayed physically in front of him, en masse, he's the lily-livered run crying home to mummy type.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.