Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Why the Tories are bastards

113 replies

breadandbutterfly · 02/10/2011 13:06

Came across this today whilst researching something else - may explain a lot why George Osborne just doesn't 'get' the problems with his ideas - may also explain some of the attitudes of some of our fellow posters. :)

www.economist.com/node/16690659

OP posts:
MrPants · 04/10/2011 11:58

adamschic I didn't generalise about young people. What I did say was "if they are successful keep them, and if unsuccessful... sack them". It sounds like you have a successful one. If they are important to your business you will do everything to keep them in your employment. The most obvious way of doing this is to pay them what they are worth - which is what it sounds like you are already doing.

DoNotPressTheRedButton · 04/10/2011 12:09

I'll be honest MrPants- one of the massive issues I have with citizen's income is ideological. I am employable, well qualified (post grad), willing to work but a Carer and I don't want to be lumped in with the unwilling under one system; it's very important to my self respect that I see myself as separate- perhaps one of the negative sides of the work ethic. I doubt the Government wants to change that either, as they are quite happy to tax carer's allowance.

Also £75 is not going to cover rent, food, council tax etc all of whcih fall into the benefit system. It simply is not. And research shows that poverty of that level costs the state additional money in health, education, long term earning outcomes.

Bluenerties someone said 1 in twenty are not claiming benefits? Sorry I missed that; who exactly? Dh working around me so scanning seemingly ineffective today. Completely against Government estimates, I wonder what source they are using?

adamschic · 04/10/2011 12:14

Oh I'm not the employer. It's my DD who has a part time job.

aliceliddell · 04/10/2011 15:32

MrPants by your argument re paying below nmw due to regional variation, I suppose you would be equally happy to increase it for the same reason? Living wage is a more useful idea.

aquashiv · 04/10/2011 19:38

@Claig they are connected are they not?
Did you see the Newsnight programme recently where Mandelson admitted that they had made a mistake in neglecting Britain's manufacturing industry? Yes I agree the pushed on other more profitable markets. Thatcher pressed the button the consequences of which we are paying for now.

breadandbutterfly · 04/10/2011 20:57

Bluberties - this was not posted on AIBU!

OP posts:
aerol · 04/10/2011 21:52

The Tories and presumably the Liberals also are bastards because they want to stop the current plan where the Government borrows around £150 billion a year to fund Government spending Hmm

breadandbutterfly · 04/10/2011 23:13

areol - try reading the link in the OP and commenting on that.

As stated above, the title was tongue-in-cheek - the research quoted, howeverm is not in the least. It is a serious piece of (US) research, which - as as I stated, I think rises interesting questions about whether the very rich (of any party) really are suitable people to represent ordinary citizens in a parliamentary democracy. I think the same criticisms could now be levelled at Blair or Mandelson, for what it's worth - but as they are no longer in power, that doesn't seem an argument it's still worth having.

OP posts:
breadandbutterfly · 04/10/2011 23:13

Forgive typos Blush .

OP posts:
Blueberties · 05/10/2011 10:32

Butterfly : I realised that after I posted!

But I just wanted to say the Tories aren't bastards, I think that's a very rude generalisation and mustn't be tolerated.

ttosca · 07/10/2011 01:01

The Tories would cut public and privitise public services whether there was a deficit or not. Don't be fooled by the 'tough love' act. They've wanted to get their grimy hands on public services for decades. Now they're trying to privatise the NHS.

malakadoush · 07/10/2011 11:30

Absolutely ttosca this idealogy wrapped up in a big shiney 'austerity' packet to fool the electorate.

malakadoush · 07/10/2011 11:30

This is idealogy. Sorry...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.