My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Labour leadership - anyone getting excited?

42 replies

MarionCole · 24/09/2010 13:08

Because I am Blush

OP posts:
EightiesChick · 24/09/2010 23:41

Marion You don't have a link for where you can register to get the result by text, do you? I can only find one to get it by email.

MarionCole · 25/09/2010 08:24
OP posts:
SpringBlossom · 25/09/2010 10:35

I am a little bit excited - more intrigued than excited... I voted Tory this time round - first time after twenty years of Labour. I think it will be Ed and that will probably mean longer out of power for the party. IMO the 'sensible' choice for a quick re-entry to power would be Mili-Major but I think the party wants to move left for a while and sees Mili-Minor as the opportunity to do this. I see it as an important vote for all of us as I think you need to have a strong voice in opposition - whoever is in opposition.

I thoroighly enjoyed one of the debates I saw between the five of them on C4 news a few weeks ago - particularly enjoyed DM rolling his eyes when his brother talked over him. He may have to lose the age 12 facial reactions to obtain true political credibility...

pinkteddy · 25/09/2010 15:49

Only about half an hour to go ...

MarionCole · 25/09/2010 16:52

DM was trying too hard to look happy, EM was shitting himself. Called it right Smile

OP posts:
sarah293 · 25/09/2010 16:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

sarah293 · 25/09/2010 16:58

Message withdrawn

ArcticRoll · 25/09/2010 16:58

Brilliant news

girlafraid · 25/09/2010 17:01

Hmm, a bit disappointed and I think it's a shame this was won on the union votes.

However, our enemy is not within and we now need to focus on winning the next election

ShadeofViolet · 25/09/2010 17:02

I like Ed's views on the Minimum living wage, he just seems to lack the ersonality of his brother, he isnt as polished when he talks either.

I read that he was going to give DM the Chancellor job - I hope thats true.

I dont think DM knew the results beforehand, he got less and less smily and more disappointed as the results were read out.

MarionCole · 25/09/2010 17:28

They did all know beforehand Violet, hence my comment that I thought DM was looking too happy, like he was trying to mask his feelings.

The shadow cabinet positions go to a vote.

OP posts:
BeenBeta · 25/09/2010 17:39

The vote is split nearly 50:50 between the Millibands. This represents the underlying split beween old and new Labour.

I have thought for a long time that Labour will split with some drifting to merge with LibDems to form a new centre Left party and a hard core rump of Old Labour on the far left.

I do not think Ed will win an election though. He will be a Hague/IDS/Howard figure and another person will have to come forward to unite the party again if it ever stands a chance of winning again. I think that Lib Dems are now in a good chance now of representing the majority of the left popular vote.

I think there is every chance we will end up with a two party system (Liberal:Tory) with minority parties and especially if we have a PR system of voting.

Prolesworth · 25/09/2010 17:44

Message withdrawn

TheCrackFox · 25/09/2010 17:47

Ed Milliband will never be prime minister. Never. He has no appeal to the wider electorate.

pinkteddy · 26/09/2010 13:53

How can you say that? He hasn't spoken to the wider electorate as leader yet!

ArcticRoll · 26/09/2010 14:07

Red Ed tag is just lazy journalism from Tory press.

TheCrackFox · 26/09/2010 14:08

With the best will in the world he comes across as a bit of a pratt. Like Neil Kinnock but with a posh voice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.