Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Just ugh- who else?

30 replies

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 19:55

Really struggling being a SAHM mum today. My partner works away and isn't here 3 days out of 7. We have a 2.5 and 1.5 year old. When he isn't here I find it so hard to cook for myself on an evening and usually end up ordering- we can't afford this and then I'm riddled with guilt. I know all the things I should be doing- batch cooking etc. But im so EXHAUSTED.
I thought moaning here might help- I don't think my partner can take anymore moaning!
Put 'Me🙋🏼‍♀️' if you're in a similar boat and mooooan away

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 24/01/2023 20:01

There is hope Op. I can remember struggling when mine were little. I knew what I should be doing but was exhausted. DC1 just never bloody slept.

When DH was away I used to buy a microwave meal because that was all I could cope with in a couple of hours sleep.

Now they're teens and they both can cook and they sleep so I get lie-ins and sometimes get my tea cooked for me.

You'll get through this Flowers

Please
or

Wifflywafflywoo · 24/01/2023 20:18

I've eaten a greggs pasty and cupcake dropped off by my mum, two hobnobs and a creme egg. Cba either

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 24/01/2023 20:28

Well if you can't afford the takeaways then that really does need to change.

I know it is so exhausting though.

Even pasta pesto with some broccoli through it would be quick and cheap!

Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 20:32

@PritiPatelsMaker I needed to hear that rn. Thank you so much. Mine are actually fairly good sleepers yet here I am still knackered, anxious and all the rest of it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Readyforspringtime · 24/01/2023 20:34

I'm the same. I had dinner delivered tonight despite trying really hard not to, I only managed 7 days but wasn't well enough to cook. You're not alone with this, life can be really difficult and exhausting. Easier times will come.

Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 20:36

Wifflywafflywoo · 24/01/2023 20:18

I've eaten a greggs pasty and cupcake dropped off by my mum, two hobnobs and a creme egg. Cba either

Sounds yummy- I had Taco Bell 🙄 it had tomatoes- my only fruit/vegetable today🙄 oops

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 20:37

I'm glad I'm not the only one @Readyforspringtime . Totally on board with your username as well

OP posts:
Please
or

Itgoesalittlesomethinglikethis · 24/01/2023 20:44

It's knackering and unrelenting. It gets easier. The DH working away days were the hardest. 💐

Please
or

slowquickstep · 24/01/2023 21:03

They day before your DH leaves why not cook a curry or chilli, portion it up and eat that whilst he is away ?

Please
or

pharmacoco · 24/01/2023 21:12

Me ! Husband on a 4 Month deployment , we have a 2yo. Some evenings it's cereal for tea for me 🙄
When we FaceTime he's all tanned, there's a pool at his section, evenings to himself ... sigh

Please
or

BertieBotts · 24/01/2023 21:14

God who has the energy to batch cook??

Buy some ready meals, much cheaper than ordering but low effort. Totally get this. There are about four meals I can cook and the rest of the time we are living out of the freezer. It's not forever, give yourself a break.

Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:17

pharmacoco · 24/01/2023 21:12

Me ! Husband on a 4 Month deployment , we have a 2yo. Some evenings it's cereal for tea for me 🙄
When we FaceTime he's all tanned, there's a pool at his section, evenings to himself ... sigh

I can relate to that- mine is often getting a massage in work time! It leaves me seething 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:19

@BertieBotts yes I'm the same- terrible at cooking anything other than the basics. If I had the brain power to commit to a new recipe it would be nice. I always have big intentions when I do the food shop and think if I don't buy the ready meals it might encourage me to cook- alas it doesn't happen! I need to be more of a realist

OP posts:
Please
or

pharmacoco · 24/01/2023 21:20

Oh me too!
Tonight we FaceTimed and the little one tells me he's got a dirty nappy. Cue husband 'right I'll let you go love, you seem preoccupied and enjoy' then winked.

Please
or

pharmacoco · 24/01/2023 21:21

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:19

@BertieBotts yes I'm the same- terrible at cooking anything other than the basics. If I had the brain power to commit to a new recipe it would be nice. I always have big intentions when I do the food shop and think if I don't buy the ready meals it might encourage me to cook- alas it doesn't happen! I need to be more of a realist

I did a Gousto subscription whilst it was 25% off for I think 6/8weeks. Selected recipes that were between 10-30mins to cook and it was quite good!!

Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:22

slowquickstep · 24/01/2023 21:03

They day before your DH leaves why not cook a curry or chilli, portion it up and eat that whilst he is away ?

This is a good idea- need to do a huge dinner on a Sunday and keep it. Again it's knowing what to do but not having the brain energy to just bloody get on with it

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:25

@pharmacoco charming! 🙄😂 I'll have a look thank you- in the house we have a nut, milk and a soya allergy so that complicated things greatly

OP posts:
Please
or

thatshowirolllandchips · 24/01/2023 21:27

If it helps I have a small age gap pair too, not quite so small - 18m. But they're now 3y3m and 1y9m and they're getting easier by the day. They can play without one walloping the other every 2 secs and can communicate relatively well with each other too. Those first 18m were hard going. Solidarity! Especially doing it solo 💪🏼

Please
or

heartbeatacrossthegrass · 24/01/2023 21:31

Sympathy! I had beans on toast for dinner 5 nights last week. I buy the snap pots that take 60 seconds in the microwave. Literally CBA to make anything else by the time I've done solo bedtime for two kids.

Please
or

Joytotheworld88 · 24/01/2023 21:36

Me! I'm eating chocolate 24/7 just to get my sugar levels high enough to keep me awake. I'm going to end up with diabetes and no teeth at this rate!

Please
or

Lalala0 · 24/01/2023 21:46

Slow cooker meals! Bung it all in whilst the children are having breakfast, buy the pre chopped meat and veg to save on time! Casseroles, stews, curry, all easy to make in the slow cooker and you can even make a big batch easily to put the leftovers in the freezer for annother day!

Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:46

thatshowirolllandchips · 24/01/2023 21:27

If it helps I have a small age gap pair too, not quite so small - 18m. But they're now 3y3m and 1y9m and they're getting easier by the day. They can play without one walloping the other every 2 secs and can communicate relatively well with each other too. Those first 18m were hard going. Solidarity! Especially doing it solo 💪🏼

Thank you! I think those doing it solo full time must be absolute superheroes, even if they're only just scraping by. That's real strength!

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:47

Lalala0 · 24/01/2023 21:46

Slow cooker meals! Bung it all in whilst the children are having breakfast, buy the pre chopped meat and veg to save on time! Casseroles, stews, curry, all easy to make in the slow cooker and you can even make a big batch easily to put the leftovers in the freezer for annother day!

It's funny you say that- the veg is chopped and ready to bung in tomorrow morning with a beef joint so at least I have managed that and the next couple of days are sorted. Only just bought the slow cooker- hope it's as easy as everyone says

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:48

Joytotheworld88 · 24/01/2023 21:36

Me! I'm eating chocolate 24/7 just to get my sugar levels high enough to keep me awake. I'm going to end up with diabetes and no teeth at this rate!

Same- the late night binging keeps me awake and makes me more tired 🙃

OP posts:
Please
or

worstusernameeverx2 · 24/01/2023 21:49

heartbeatacrossthegrass · 24/01/2023 21:31

Sympathy! I had beans on toast for dinner 5 nights last week. I buy the snap pots that take 60 seconds in the microwave. Literally CBA to make anything else by the time I've done solo bedtime for two kids.

If only I could stand beans 😂🤮 getting kind of sick of spaghetti hoops now!

OP posts:
Please
or