Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I'm the horrible, kill joy mum ...

buttermug · 05/08/2022 21:31

Would you allow your child in a very large swimming pool unattended in a back garden of a person you know from
School but not overly well?

OP's posts:
Please
or

User135792468 · 05/08/2022 21:33

Absolutely not unless a teenager. How old is the dc?

Please
or

Greensleeves · 05/08/2022 21:33

How old is the child? And do you mean completely unsupervised?

Please
or

Dalaidramailama · 05/08/2022 21:33

its a no from me.

Please
or

User4670 · 05/08/2022 21:37

Definitely not. While both my children can swim, neither of them are currently confident enough in the water to be left unattended. Also, age is important, you need to be sure they are responsible and aware of the risks and consequences of certain activities. I think you need to judge by age and level of swimming competency.

Please
or

N4ish · 05/08/2022 21:37

No way!

Please
or

buttermug · 05/08/2022 21:39

Thanks you all!!!! My son is 6 and wanted to go to neighbours house in their pool with their kids (while mother was cleaning the house) I can't believe some people actually can be so careless.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BrianBettyGrable · 05/08/2022 21:46

I was going to say no and my kids are young teens and good swimmers! But unsupervised, no way.

But at 6?! That would be insane.

Please
or

Timeforabiscuit · 05/08/2022 21:48

NO! And by the way, your adult son will thank you, because now he will make it that far!

It hurts saying no, but honestly setting clear non negotiable hard lines is so much easier than if your constantly negotiating with a miniature terrorist.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 05/08/2022 21:49

A massive no from me. Not at 6. What are the parents thinking?

Please
or

BigYellowElephant · 05/08/2022 21:50

Even my nearly 14 year old I'd be iffy, esp if with a group of friends so likely to be silly. At 6 not in a million yrs

Please
or

MeltdownCentral1 · 05/08/2022 21:50

You're not a killjoy! It's a no from me too.

Please
or

buttermug · 05/08/2022 21:56

That's the thing even if my child was older it's the clowning about that terrifies me. I couldn't believe when he told me they were out by themselves. It unnerved me so much I brought him in and didn't allow him out incase he sneaked in

OP's posts:
Please
or

jammiewhammie65 · 05/08/2022 22:01

BrianBettyGrable · 05/08/2022 21:46

I was going to say no and my kids are young teens and good swimmers! But unsupervised, no way.

But at 6?! That would be insane.

You wouldn't let a 13 go swimming without you when they are a strong swimmer ?

Please
or

User4670 · 05/08/2022 22:03

I know these are American statistics but pretty scary when you think about kids having unsupervised access to swimming pools

www.cdc.gov/drowning/facts/index.html

Please
or

Chelsea26 · 05/08/2022 23:37

It depends on the age of the child and the depth of the pool. We have one and the majority of 6 year olds can stand in it (even if on tippy toes)

We do supervise, as in we’re in The kitchen looking out on the garden but they’re all just told to put their feet down

Please
or

Feetache · 05/08/2022 23:51

At 6? No way on Earth

Please
or

Sbena · 06/08/2022 10:59

6 and unsupervised in a pool??? No way, Jose!!!

Please
or

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 11:07

Chelsea26 · 05/08/2022 23:37

It depends on the age of the child and the depth of the pool. We have one and the majority of 6 year olds can stand in it (even if on tippy toes)

We do supervise, as in we’re in The kitchen looking out on the garden but they’re all just told to put their feet down

Sorry, but that's not good enough. People -adults & children - panic. Children, not just babies, die in the bath in very shallow water, kuds die in pool they can stand up in & only be knee/waist high.

it is NOT safe to leave them unsupervised, (occasional glance out the kitchen window is not supervised).

Please
or

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 11:09

@buttermug

if they invite him again I'd just ask if they mind me sitting in their garden as I don't think he is competent enough to be in without an adult in/next to the pool.

don't make it about their lack of supervision to avoid awkwardness, but make it clear he's not allowed in without you there.

Please
or

BeanieTeen · 06/08/2022 11:24

No. Not a kill joy at all, that’s just being a responsible parent.

Please
or

Krustykrabpizza · 06/08/2022 11:27

Could you not go and sit in the garden with them while he swims?

Please
or

Parpophone · 06/08/2022 11:28

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 11:09

@buttermug

if they invite him again I'd just ask if they mind me sitting in their garden as I don't think he is competent enough to be in without an adult in/next to the pool.

don't make it about their lack of supervision to avoid awkwardness, but make it clear he's not allowed in without you there.

So OP then gets lumbered with supervising their kids as well?

No. Just no.

@Chelsea26 That's bloody terrifying - made my blood run cold! Hope your comment was a wind up.

It takes a second for a child to slip/fall (especially if they have to "stand on tippy toes" to keep their head above water.) The occasional glance out of the window really isn't good enough.

Please
or

AegonT · 07/08/2022 06:26

No way. Under 8s should be supervised from in the water in a swimming pool. Over 8 I would insist the parent was on the side watching constantly (or much better a proper lifeguard attended public pool) and that the child was a strong swimmer.

Please
or

RedHelenB · 07/08/2022 06:27

buttermug · 05/08/2022 21:31

Would you allow your child in a very large swimming pool unattended in a back garden of a person you know from
School but not overly well?

8 + that can swim yes.

Please
or

AegonT · 07/08/2022 06:29

I wouldn't let him play at their house again.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.