Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please tell me all about your gorgeous boy babies!

newtolineofduty · 06/01/2022 18:30

Hoping not to get flamed as this is mainly lighthearted!

So we found out yesterday we're having a baby boy! We already have two girls and a boy (joint DD and two lovely DSC).

I remember once reading that boy babies are often harder to settle than girl babies due to increased testosterone and reduced seretonin levels compared to girl babies. I wouldn't usually buy in to this kind of stereotyping and I know every baby is different but on reflection in considering our own personal experiences, as well as those of friends and family, it seems that boy babies are often a little more whiny and fussy than the girls.

I'm abit anxious as I loved the baby phase with DD and coped well in spite of various health problems, but I'm thinking would I have enjoyed/coped as well with a very difficult to settle baby like some of my friends have experience, and as DP experienced with DSS!

I'm so excited and we have already been looking at clothes, nursery ideas, and names, so as the icing on the cake I'd love to hear some reassuring experiences from mummies of lovely chilled happy non colicky boy babies to add to my excitement and shush some of my anxieties! ❤️🥰😂😍 xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Arewenearly · 06/01/2022 18:36

I have never heard any of that about boy babies. My own boy baby will be 15 this year and was the most chilled out baby ever. Slept through the night at 10 weeks, before that fed once during the night then back to sleep. Made me very confident in my excellent parenting abilities. Then I had his sister...

Congratulations on your baby, it's really down to personality more than sex.

Please
or

Nomicron · 06/01/2022 18:38

My boy was a complete dream. He settled himself off to sleep in his Moses basket or pram or just being carried or held.
Very rarely cried, fed well and looked on in wonder at the world around him.
Crawled early and has been active but adorable ever since. He’s 10 now and the most loving and caring person I know

Please
or

Rrrob · 06/01/2022 18:39

I have b/g twins. Boy twins is SO chilled. Sleeps like a dream, self settles and is generally less demanding. Today he’s starting hugging his sister which is very sweet, and whenever he sees DH and I hugging he blows kisses. So all in all, he is lovely. Congratulations!

Please
or

brokenkettle · 06/01/2022 18:40

Congratulations!

Not all baby boys are highly strung, you'll be reassured to know! Mine was but I know plenty of others who were placid. A friend of mine had a boy who would fall asleep as soon as she laid him down, whereas mine seemingly would stay awake forever if I didn't intervene with feeding or rocking.

I am not a fan of stereotypes either, but I have definitely noticed that amongst the children we know, the boys are more likely to be running amok and seem to need physical play more. That's just an observation of 20 or so kids though!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a brilliant boy, matter his temperament!

Please
or

Porthia · 06/01/2022 18:41

I have 2 DD and a DS. He was a pretty chilled baby. Not quite as chilled as DD2 but pretty relaxed. Definitely just his own little personality and not noticeably more fussy or anything compared to the girls! Enjoy, boys are just lovely!

Please
or

DustyMaiden · 06/01/2022 18:41

My boy was and is a dream. Always happy, slept well. Went through school with fantastic reports and never given me a days trouble. He’s now 21.
DDs we’re lovely babies, not so lovely teenagers.

Please
or

PamelaDoov · 06/01/2022 18:41

I have a baby boy who has always loved his sleep. Was never much of a crier as a small baby either. Would just make little fussy sounds when he needed something.
Everyone has always commented on what a happy, contented baby he is.
Every baby is different regardless of their sex.

Please
or

Echobelly · 06/01/2022 18:42

DD was dream baby really, great sleeper, very interactive lovely toddler. We were sure second would be a nightmare to 'make up' for that fact, but DS came along and was also a lovely baby. Nothing we did, to be clear, we were just very very lucky.

My mum also said my brother was the easiest baby ever, then my sister, her second, came along and was the baby that never sleeps and the demanding tantruming toddler!

Please
or

Ossoduro · 06/01/2022 18:43

I have had four boy babies and they have all been totally different as babies and now they are bigger they are totally different in character as well. As babies, sleep wise one was very difficult, two were very easy, and two were somewhere in between. What I would say is that they are all absolutely lovely kids. I think when parents have two different kids of different genders they are quick to put those differences down to the gender of the child. When you have four of the same gender you quickly realise that their differences are nothing to do with gender at all.

Please
or

RoyKentsChestHair · 06/01/2022 18:44

I have two boys and a girl. Boy 1 was hard work for the first 17 years or so, but is delightful now! Boy 2 was the loveliest baby, never cried, just made cute little baby noises and was very chilled out. Still is. Never been any trouble at all and is now 17! DD is fantastic mix of the two of them, slightly more demanding than DS2 as a baby, walking by 10 months, talking in full sentences by 18 months, so clearly being very demanding for her paid off! But she’s also very loving and kind, and again no trouble at all.

In his defence DS1 is most likely on the spectrum like his dad, but never wanted a formal diagnosis. Once I accepted that it became a lot easier to deal with him.

Please
or

wingingmywaythroughlife · 06/01/2022 18:44

My two year old boy absolutely loves his night sleep! Can't get him to nap during the day though, always been the same 🙈

Please
or

GorgeousGeorgiana · 06/01/2022 18:45

Never heard that about baby boys and my experience was the total opposite. Dd was a velcro baby and impossible to get to sleep on her own. Ds was very relaxed and just...went to sleep when he was tired. No jiggling, no rocking, no getting overtired and screaming, nothing. Now he's 4, he just announces that he wants to go to bed and up we go. Quick story, lights off and sleep.

Please
or

onedayoranother · 06/01/2022 18:47

Nope my boy was a good sleeper and easy to put down while awake and off he went. He was a fairly content baby. My little girl was much harder , though she had reflux, and it would takes ages. But she got there and once the reflux settled down at three months she was much easier too.
As toddlers he was easy in one sense - cheerful and affectionate, but I swear to god he was determined to do the absolute opposite to what I said. My daughter was moody but much more happy to do as asked.
I still lock heads with my now 18 year old son, whereas my 16 year old daughter is hard working, polite and is self contained.

Please
or

Imabitbusyatthemoment · 06/01/2022 18:49

DS always slept better than DD. And at 7 he still drops off almost as soon as the car pulls out of the driveway!

He is also the most loving, cuddliest thing you could imagine. Boys are lovely,

Please
or

Foreverbaffled · 06/01/2022 18:51

Two boy babies here! Couldn't be more opposite in terms of ease of settling etc. I would ignore this alleged issue Smile

Please
or

CaMePlaitPas · 06/01/2022 18:55

Not my baby but my Mum used to say out of all of us my brother was the easiest. He was a cute little chonk who loved eating, sleeping and cuddles!

Please
or

newtolineofduty · 06/01/2022 19:05

Thank you SO much everyone for taking the time to tell me about your varied and wonderful experiences! And I agree that girls are most definitely not easy/easier! Our two girls are proof of that especially as they've got older! Whereas DSS is just always happy-not a strop in sight! 🥰 x

Can't wait to meet my little baby boy and join the mum of boys club! Xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsTophamHat · 06/01/2022 19:16

My boy was a very easy baby. He slept everywhere we went and was the envy of the baby groups due to his placid nature. Would spend ages kicking on his baby gym thingy. Settled at nursery at 7months with nary a backwards glance. As a toddler he was never used to be one for cuddles; was more of a rough and tumble kid but now at 4 he is very affectionate and cuddly.

Please
or

Bergamotte · 06/01/2022 19:28

We have a new baby boy in the family who is so sweet! Not whingey at all; he was even pretty good when he started teething.

Others we've had in the family- another baby boy was the easiest baby ever to get to sleep. Just wanted to be left in his cot to drop off and slept really well.
His sister was a nightmare to get to sleep- needed loads of attention, tricks like being trundled around in the buggy or driven around in the car, then would wake up crying frequently through the night.

(Relatives have had male babies who were very clingy and fussy too. It really is down to the individual baby not their sex, but your little boy will be lovely in his own way!)

Please
or

Panicmode1 · 06/01/2022 19:33

Congratulations! I have 3 boys and one daughter - every child is an individual with their own needs, wants and foibles. And that was as true when they were babies as it is now they are all teens!

Please
or

newtolineofduty · 06/01/2022 19:34

Hehe this thread is making me relieved I'm not having another girl! 🤣🤣🤣 xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rainbowdrops2021 · 06/01/2022 19:35

Congratulations! My dd was the easiest baby in the world but she was a sassy toddler and is a hyperactive 7 yo, independent and full of personality (which I wouldn’t change). My ds on the other hand wasn’t as easy to settle and always wanted me, it took 3 years for him to sleep through the night and at time is was exhausted but my goodness me that boy is so loving and kind it’s unreal. I wouldn’t take back a single one of those late night cuddles. No matter boy or girl or what your baby will be like as cheesy as it sounds it just such a blessing.

Please
or

bonetiredwithtwins · 06/01/2022 19:42

I also have boy/girl twins - my boy is the best sleeper hands down compared to the girls. Only one that hasn't needed to co sleep at some point. He is very whingey and needy though compared to his twin but it's lovely to be someone's favourite as my girls are very much daddy's girls!

Please
or

firstimemamma · 06/01/2022 19:44

My boy (now 3) was SO relaxed as a baby. He didn't even cry when he was born, just came out and was so happy and content. The midwives said it does happen but is unusual as they almost always cry when first born. All the health visitors always commented on how 'placid' he was. Always smiling, a real joy. He was a brilliant toddler and at 3 now he's still such a softie. Loves animals, babies, cuddles and playing tea parties. He's incredibly gentle and I honestly absolutely adore being his mummy.

Please
or

ChristmasAdam · 06/01/2022 19:45

Aww I have two little boys and a girl (she's the big sister). DS1 is now nearly 3, he was a sweet and chubby baby who settled well and he loved his milk and cuddles! Now he's a bit more boisterous I'd say. Very curious and constantly wants to be doing things. He still loves his cuddles though and when he climbs onto my lap it's the best feeling in the world. DS2 is 10 months and he is also a very chilled baby. He's quite clingy though at times. He's sweet natured boy who is fascinated with his older siblings which is lovely to see. He crawls around after them but is constantly checking in to see where I am too.

DD1 who is 4 was also pretty chilled as far as babies go I think. We were more stressed though as she was our first! Me and her clash a bit now as we are both strong willed but she is also very loving and sweet Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?