Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone bought a play kitchen and regretted it?

ColdShouldersWarmTummy · 14/11/2021 13:42

Thinking of getting one for DD's Christmas present (she'll be 18 months) as everyone seems to say they're great value and get played with for ages etc, but has anyone bought one and later realised it was a waste of money/space? We don't have a separate playroom so it would dominate one end of our (reasonably large) living room. I want to hear the good and the bad before committing. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ParkheadParadise · 14/11/2021 13:45

Dd loves her kitchen that's she's had for years. It was from Ikea.
When my great-nieces and nephews come over they all make a beeline for it.

Please
or

ABCeasyasdohrayme · 14/11/2021 13:45

My dc never played with any of the ones I got through the years and they were just really bulky and took up a tonne of space. I haven't bought one for my youngest due to this.

However I did get a mud kitchen for the garden and that has been used lots and lots.

Please
or

Dora26 · 14/11/2021 13:45

Ikea duktig - you’ll never regret it!

Please
or

TurnUpTurnip · 14/11/2021 13:46

Yes my dd doesn’t play with it much at all so maybe get a small one

Please
or

BelgianWaffles · 14/11/2021 14:06

My daughter got hers when she was 18 months. She is now 4.5 years old and still plays with it!

Please
or

Kanaloa · 14/11/2021 14:07

Mine all played with ours - it was a plastic fisher price type one. I got it for ds when he was about 4 (second hand) and it lasted through his three younger siblings.

I think they started really ‘playing’ with it aged about 3/4 though - they would make it into a cafe/shop/play mummies and daddies with the dolls and it was their house. At 18 months they didn’t get as much out of it.

Please
or

Kanaloa · 14/11/2021 14:08

I will say though I never thought it took up a ridiculous amount of space but my living room has only recently stopped looking like a playgroup space, so possibly I just never noticed.

Please
or

TheOpportuneMoment · 14/11/2021 14:17

DS plays with his loads. He's just turned three and got it last Christmas. We got a wooden one, it takes up very little room, fits quite nicely in our living room and actually goes with our colour scheme.

Please
or

Matilda1981 · 14/11/2021 14:25

Mine always play with mine but I’d maybe wait until next Christmas - my 18 month old doesn’t play with it yet but the 10,8 and 3 year old do!!!

Please
or

DontTellThemYourNamePike · 14/11/2021 14:26

DS1 played with his off and on (one of those IKEA wooden ones), but not enough to justify how much space it took up in my already cluttered living room! DS2 had zero interest in it, but then he wasn't the one who begged to have one in the first place. We gave it away to a friend a while back and her three children absolutely love it, so at least somebody's getting good use of it now. I'd say it really depends on the child.

Please
or

delilabell · 14/11/2021 14:28

We have a wooden asda one. We've moved it living room, dining room/playroom. Currently on jer bedroom and sjes 5. She does so much role-playing but never uses it....and won't get rid of it either ( not bitter at all)

Please
or

T0rt0ise · 14/11/2021 14:33

If you want a smaller alternative we have a kallax unit and out 'kitchen' stickers from thestickerhouse on one side of it and then a farm track sticker on the other side.

Please
or

20viona · 14/11/2021 14:34

Get the wooden aldi one it's £35 and absolutely brilliant.

Please
or

TheCanyon · 14/11/2021 14:34

We bought the dts the little tykes interactive (connect to a tablet) one, they had so much fun with it and was great for their counting etc. Now given it to a friends younger kids who love it too.

Please
or

PearlHart · 14/11/2021 14:37

Yes, we regretted buying one for DD. She played with one at playgroup with her friend but wasn't the slightest bit interested at home. Funnily enough, the friend always made a beeline for it when she came to our house! The rest of the time it just took up a lot of space in the living room and gathered dust - big mistake!

Please
or

knightsinwhitesatin · 14/11/2021 14:38

We live in a smallish flat, we got this one as didn’t have space for a big one. My toddler plays with it every so often and when she’s not playing with it, it’s packs up pretty tidily

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/wooden-table-top-play-kitchen-d9552.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-FOKJ-NVvzhxYL7DnBQQk38pKiZtv_AHv9-QI5ZPueQiJekk2MRCbEaAtXGEALw_wcB

Please
or

MrsLeclerc · 14/11/2021 14:39

Bought DS a wooden one for his 3rd birthday. So glad I bought a wooden indoor/outdoor one. He enjoys playing with it but gets a lot more use when we put it outside and he can fill the sink with water and splash about. Not so fussed with it indoors where he has to be mote tidy!

I bought a little BBQ cover for it and now store it outside to save space indoors.

Please
or

stripeymonster · 14/11/2021 14:40

We have had an Ikea one, the ELC one and my parents have the little Tykes one. But none have been played with as a kitchen for long. Endless fun pushing stuff through the sink hole and into cupboards. Now the ikea one is mostly used for playmobil storage. Think it was a case of they would play with it but only if an adult joined in !

Please
or

espressomartiniweeny · 14/11/2021 14:40

We bought a wooden mud kitchen for outside but put it in the playroom to get more use from it. Dc play with it every day. I wouldn't have one in my lounge though.

Please
or

Gumbo · 14/11/2021 14:40

We've got a kitchen/diner with an island in the middle which had stair gates around it to stop DS going into the kitchen part when he was a toddler. On the diner side of the island we had a play kitchen for DS and he used to 'cook' on it while we were cooking so that he felt part of it all - it was brilliant. He played with it for years, and we even made a profit on it when we eventually sold it on eBay!

Please
or

KnobJockey · 14/11/2021 14:48

My 2 year old uses hers much more now it's been moved to the kitchen. She comes and 'cooks' while I do

Please
or

Catawaul · 14/11/2021 14:51

My DC loved it in IKEA but haven't been bothered with the same one at home!

Please
or

MangoM · 14/11/2021 14:56

At 18 months, my DS didn't really understand what to do with it. Now, 9 months later and much more into role playing games it's one of his favourite toys. We have it in our kitchen and he loves serving up cups of tea and weird combinations of food whenever we have guests!

Please
or

MistyFrequencies · 14/11/2021 14:57

We got a little wooden one for my eldest when she was about 18 months and was best money ever spent. They're 3& 4 now and still play with it.

Please
or

DuneFan · 14/11/2021 14:58

We have one in our sitting room- the IKEA one bought second hand.

It actually has loads of storage space in it so we use it as a cupboard for other toys as well as for its core kitchen function, but it gets daily use as a kitchen. Bought it for ds 2nd birthday birthday he's now 3.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?