My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

I saw this at DD's nursery...

35 replies

Cakehead · 29/09/2007 07:31

Yesterday I dropped DD off at her nursery. She's gone since she was six months although is now two. First she started in the baby room then has moved up to a family room, however, my LO will start the baby room in January.

I'd taken DD's coat upstairs to hang on her peg although the children all start off downstairs together. I was at the top of the stairs watching, so they baby room staff didn't see me. One girl was coming up the stairs with a baby under each arm and kicking open a fire door to get through. DH says that Health and Safety says you shouldn't carry more than one child at a time, particularly on stairs. But that wasn't the thing that bothered me.

One little boy, obviously learning to crawl, was being allowed to crawl up the stairs. He'd ground to a halt after a few steps, mainly because he was looking at me at the top. A careworker was nudging him on his bottom with her foot to try and get him to move. She kept saying 'Come on, come on', but not in a particularly encouraging way. Then she just picked him up by one arm and carried him up the rest of the flight of stairs, dangling.
I'd hate to see DD handled like that at that age, or any age. When the careworker saw me, she tried to make light of it, saying he that he was about to move up in to my daughter's room.

Am I being too sensitive? It's the stairs, so I appreciate they don't want to be balancing kids on their, but this seemed a bit out of order to me. He must have been nine months or so. Should I say something? I have a meeting with the manager in a week about something general. I've been seriously considering getting a nanny for DD and LO come the New Year anyway and this seems to have confirmed the choice for me...

OP posts:
meemar · 29/09/2007 07:44

You should say something. That is not the way to treat a baby. Those programmes you see where they go undercover to some nurseries and film how they treat the children make my blood run cold.

If you are at all uncomfortable about how your children are being looked after at the nursery you should reconsider your childcare.

It sounds like you've kind of come to that conclusion anyway, so good luck with finding a lovely nanny.

PrettyCandles · 29/09/2007 08:00

This does not sound right to me at all. I would mention it to the manager, even if I was taking the children out in any case.

I see nothing wrong with allowing a crawling baby to climb the stairs, as long as they are being properly looked after. Picking a baby or young child up by one arm is utterly out of the question. My dd had clicky joints and I was told never to lifte her by one leg when changing her nappy, nor to pick her up by one arm. The drs all also extended that one arm advice to all other children. They stressed that it was a very unsafe thing to do.

I don't feel comfortable about the fire door advice either, as those doors are heavy and can close hard - with a baby under each arm she wouldn't have been able to control the door, and a child could have been hurt if the door closed on her while she was going through.

This is definitely not good IMO.

PrettyCandles · 29/09/2007 08:01

Not 'fire door advice', I meant 'fire door issue'.

Meggymoose · 29/09/2007 08:07

You are not being too sensitive at all. I'm sure the parents of the children being manhandled or nudged up the stairs would be upset. The stairs and babies is clearly an issue but there needs to be a robust system in place that all baby staff are aware of for transferring the babies upstairs in a more appropriate way.

nappyaddict · 29/09/2007 08:19

so was she carrying 2 babies plus another baby was crawling up the stairs. its not the carrying of 2 babies or letting them crawl up the stairs that bothers me but the factif she is holding 2 babies then how how would she pick the other one up if he started to look unsafe on the stairs. i know i sometimes have to grab my ds cos he suddenly decides to look behind him on the stairs.

3Ddonut · 29/09/2007 08:40

I felt sick when I read the OP, how could anyone carry a child by one arm up the stairs???!!!! poor kid, I wonder what the parents would have to say about it?

Also, totally agree that it is unsafe to carry two children at once up the stairs, sounds like an unpleasant place, take your kids out. They are treating the kids like objects and giving them no respect.

Cakehead · 29/09/2007 09:00

That's my gut feeling too. I have to admit, the carer that I saw do it used to look after DD, and I always thought she was fine. Just goes to show, I guess.

I think you learn too. It was two years ago when DD first went there. Having been through it once, the idea of putting my new one in there makes my blood run cold and DH agress.

I'll talk to the manageress next week.

OP posts:
BandofMothers · 29/09/2007 09:20

You should def say something. You have to be really careful with babies/toddlers and should never carry them by the arms as their shoulders can dislocate really easily. One of my friends dislocated her DD's shoulder accidently while playing and swinging her around in circles by her arms.
It's also just horrible What if he had twisted around, OUCH!!!

What would you do if it HAD been your DD she was doing it to?????
I know what I would do..........

3Ddonut · 29/09/2007 09:37

Good for you Cakehead, lets hope that the manageress is suitably appalled and not tolerant of this behaviour.

edam · 29/09/2007 09:45

I'm with everyone else, this is not acceptable. For the medical reasons mentioned apart from anything else. Who on earth does this woman think she is, nudging a crawling baby with her foot?

Nurseries are full of underpaid, poorly trained and poorly motivated teenagers, IME. I'm sure there are good ones out there but it's so hard to be confident. Speaking as someone who sent ds to a nursery.

mumofhelen · 29/09/2007 13:15

It's for a similar reason my SIL took her 3 months old ds out of nursery to be cared for by a childminder/nanny in their home. The added benefit is the childminder cleans up breakfast (or even supervises breakfast if the family is running late), drops and picks up SIL dd from school too. The childminder stays at SIL home between 7:30am till 18:00 Monday to Friday.

car25 · 30/09/2007 20:11

I feel very strongly about health and safety issues with children. If I'd have seen this, I would report it to Ofsted. I would also remove my child from this setting.

Tamdin · 30/09/2007 20:25

hate to say it but i have worked in private nurseries and this kind of thing goes on all the time. It was for this reason i left the profession. There are alot of very caring professional nursery nurses around but there are equally as many who's conduct leaves alot to be desired.sorry know that doesn't really help you.

Jackfrostmanson · 02/10/2007 17:23

I would report the nursery to OFSTED.
It is digesting what happened to those children.
I think I would remove my DD from the nursery because of what happened to the other children.
www.ofsted.gov.uk/portal/site/Internet/menuitem.455968b0530071c4828a0d8308c08a0c/?vgnextoid=2c4c2086 2c69c010VgnVCM1000003507640aRCRD

NAB3 · 02/10/2007 17:24

Holy crpa. That needs reporting. She could have pulled his arm out of the socket. I am sure his mother would want to know this had happened and I would be tempted to tell her.

Weegle · 02/10/2007 17:30

That's appalling. I saw a physio recently, was about something completely different, but had DS there so we were chatting about kids etc and she said one of the most common reasons young children end up in A&E is because their shoulder has come out of it's socket and this is from that game where the child swings between two adults whilst waling along. I hate to think what damage lifting a child by one arm could do, their tendons and ligaments just aren't strong enough to support that wait. I don't think i would be waiting for my meeting with the manager but would call immediately.

Weegle · 02/10/2007 17:31

grrr, I meant weight, what is wrong with me today?!

hunkermunker · 02/10/2007 17:31

Your OP made me feel physically sick.

Please complain and also report this to Ofsted.

It is totally unacceptable to treat any child like this.

Please update the thread with what happens. I won't get the images of your OP out of my head in a hurry

hunkermunker · 02/10/2007 17:32

Weegle, that's one of the reasons I feel so sickened by it. She could have seriously injured the crawling baby

Aero · 02/10/2007 17:47

This is definitely worth reporting.

I have also worked in a day nursery in my time and have been involved in an accident where a child decided to jump down the last stairs whilst I was holding her hand. She dislocated her elbow! I was leading two of them walking, so didn't have the other arm free to stop her, but was holding her firmly so she didn't fall down the stairs. This was something she often did with her parents, so they weren't at all surprised that she'd wanted to jump and swing, but I was in shock and very upset at the time. This injury can happen so easily, so to actually lift a baby by one arm and carry them this way intentionally is totally unacceptable. the manager should be informed immediately and Ofsted should be notified also.

Cakehead · 03/10/2007 12:25

OK, I'm going to report it to Ofsted. Oddly enough, they had their Ofsted inspection at mid-September and passed with flying colours in most areas. And I'll talk to the manageress as well tomorrow.

But another thing is bothering me. The person in charge of the baby room (not the one who lifted the child by one arm, btw) has been sacked. I want to know why but when I asked, they wouldn't tell me. This is a woman who looked after DD for over a year, and I'm worried about what she's been caught doing. Also, my LO was due to start in the New Year and I sort of feel I have a right to know what's been going on. I probably don't have the right to know - there's bound to be some employee right it would be breaching - but it's very unsettling. I'm going to post it on another thread.

Have finished interviewing nannies and just found a really nice one to start next month, which is great.

OP posts:
3Ddonut · 14/10/2007 11:41

cakehead, I often find myself thinking of this, and was wondering how you got on at the nursery. Have you asked the other mothers about the sacked lady (I know it's gossipy, and possibly untrue but the staff won't tell you)

Cakehead · 22/10/2007 14:27

3DDonut, we've been on holiday for a week, during which time I've still stewed on it. I can't find anywhere to complain to at Ofsted - the links for the complaint form aren't working - and I'd can't find a number.
If anyone else can tell me how to lodge a complaint, please let me know.

Today I tried to call the woman who owns/runs the nursery. She was in meetings all day, apparently. I've not left a message and said I'd try her again this afternoon.

I've withdrawn my toddler from the nursery, although we're still paying for a final month in lieu. Don't care about that. And I did manage to talk to one of the nursery staff members who I saw at the weekend who told me the sacked member of staff was booted out for 'misconduct'. Some one else said 'breach of contract', which covers a multitude of sins. I guess I won't get to the bottom of that.

But even though my toddler is out of there, I'm not just going to drop it. Will fill you in with what happen.

OP posts:
PanicPants · 22/10/2007 14:31

This is awful. I think you're doing the right thing by reporting it. This woman should not be allowed to be around children at all.

It reminds me of that documentary a few yeats ago when the had a hidden camera in a nursery and caught staff treating the children badly.

Cakehead · 22/10/2007 14:33

In fact, have just checked Ofsted website and forms and guidance procedure now visible. However, they suggest complaints are raised firstly with the childcare provider, which is what I shall do. More shortly.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.