My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

for £140 a week for a full-time place at a nursery,..what is fair to expect to be included?

42 replies

americantrish · 19/03/2007 15:59

just wondering.... thanks

OP posts:
hana · 19/03/2007 15:59

usually nappies, snacks, drinks and food are all provided

Mumpbump · 19/03/2007 16:01

Usually food. Most of the nurseries around our way ask parents to provide nappies and formula. There is one that asks parents to provide food until after one year.

Ours provides everything other than formula/breast milk, but costs £210 per week full-time...

HappyDaddy · 19/03/2007 16:01

I provide nappies and snacks but hot lunches and drinks are provided.

americantrish · 19/03/2007 16:06

the nursery we are considering doesnt provide nappies or wipes, only snacks are included (we have to provide lunch or a hot lunch can be purchased for £2).

OP posts:
HappyDaddy · 19/03/2007 16:07

Where is your nursery, AT? Ours is in Kent, it's about £150 a week and is one of the best in the area.

Mumpbump · 19/03/2007 16:08

I guess they are keeping the costs down for those who can be bothered to make their children's lunch. If nursery including a hot lunch only costs £150 a week, I think that's still a pretty good deal, but whereabouts are you?

americantrish · 19/03/2007 16:21

happydaddy> the one we are considering is in maidstone...

OP posts:
HappyDaddy · 19/03/2007 16:24

Ahh, ours is in Rochester. A few parents from Maidstone and Ashford travel all the way to it.

americantrish · 19/03/2007 16:27

without a car, i wouldnt be able to do it as i'll be the one dropping ds off and picking him up...

OP posts:
Twinkie1 · 19/03/2007 16:28

Mine is £35 a day we provide nappies and wipes and they provide all meals - cold breakfast and supper and a hot lunch.

We are in SE London

Thelittlesoldiersmummy · 19/03/2007 16:31

Ours is £200 per week (our DS only goes two days though) and they include everything except Nappies

americantrish · 19/03/2007 16:31

ideally we'd like a nursery that would include hot meals (as i think ds would learn to eat different things if he saw other kids doing so, plus if they're all eating basically the same thing.....)
but we are struggling to find one around here, that we like, or is within ease of me being able to drop him off/pick him up...

OP posts:
Mumpbump · 19/03/2007 16:37

But from what you said, it sounds as though you can pay £10 extra a week for them to provide a hot lunch - is that not correct?

Eleusis · 19/03/2007 16:38

Happy Daddy, is this the (in)famous fuppy shipple nursery?

americantrish · 19/03/2007 16:41

:nods: £10 a week isnt that bad... i am going to ask when we visit them for a 2nd visit how many other children opt for that option...

OP posts:
HappyDaddy · 19/03/2007 16:42

Eleusis, yes, that;s the one. Courtesy of dd, all of the helpers think I wear make up and know fuppy shipple off by heart!

Eleusis · 19/03/2007 16:46

Americantrish, I personally wouldn't want my kids to go to a nursery that didn;t serve the food. The reason is that if johnny has one thing, Susie has another, and emma yet another, they tend to fight over each other's lunch. And Emma might have complete junk food but your kid will want it and refuse to eat her carrotes, etc. I much prefer all kids sit at the table at the same time and are served the same food. Better chance of every learning to eat what they are served that way.

However, I have a very finicky eater, so this might not be a big deal to other people.

daisy26 · 19/03/2007 17:02

iv'e worked in nurseries and most of them, parents provided nappies and wipes, but also hot or cold meals, like breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, tea, or just lunch and snacks, surely it's easier for the nursery to supply meals, also children who often see their friends eatan something they dnt like, may try it cuz their friends are, and yeh most of the children will have the same meals, as this is fair, unless they got special dietry requirements

MrsBadger · 19/03/2007 17:04

the £140/wk ones round here provide everything - all food, wipes, nappies and formula - but there is stiff competition so I think they need to make people feel they're getting their money's worth.

americantrish · 19/03/2007 17:05

Eleusis> that is PRECISELY that point i tried to make to dh about this nursery. no matter how lovely the rest of it is.. :I the other nursery by us has quite a small toddler room, it would not suit ds.. and the other one isnt really easy for me to get to (and especially not once i have a job..)

OP posts:
Mumpbump · 19/03/2007 17:07

Why don't you ask them how many of the children take up the hot lunch option? If it is most or all of them (as I have a sneaky suspicion it might be), then that's okay, isn't it?

ellieandhattie · 19/03/2007 17:07

americantrish (sorry never got back to posting on the other thread i'm the one that lives very close to you ) is the one you are considering next to a drs as my friends little boy went there and they paid for his hot lunch and he loved it there and friends were really pleased with the staff etc he went full time from 18 months till he started school last sept

americantrish · 19/03/2007 17:13

mumpbump> we are going to ask when we visit again... if it is most of them, we will probably compromise and send ds there..

ellie> hiya! no worries about not posting back there. no.. its not that one, we saw that one, but there toddler space was quite small (and when we visited the toddlers in the room seemed quite cramped...) and the staff werent overly friendly :I) its a shame because that one would be easiest for me to take and pick ds up from!
hope you've been well..

OP posts:
HappyDaddy · 19/03/2007 17:14

AmericanTrish, what times do the ones your looking at open? Ours is 8.15, which makes it easy for me to get to work in Sittingbourne or Dartford by 9.

americantrish · 19/03/2007 17:17

i think it opens at 7.30 or 8. the one we are thinking about is only a 15 minute walk from home :I

heh, my dh works in dartford.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.