My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

please someone go thru the schooling in order please as im confused again!

39 replies

Biglips · 10/01/2007 00:13

as people ask if i sorted nursery for my 2.3 yrs old yet which i said Yes but she is only there 1 morning a week as cannot afford it to stretch it more.

what next after that? pre-school? the primary, junior and high school?

is that correct?

OP posts:
nappyaddict · 10/01/2007 00:18

right at the moment she is in private nursery. i assume what people mean when they say have you got nursery sorted it is what you get free once they turn 3. they go for 2-3 hours every day either in the morning or afternoon. then it is infant school, junior school and secondary school. many infant and juniors are now together in one building - these are called primary schools.

VeniVidiVickiQV · 10/01/2007 00:18

pre-school places are offered as free or subsidised by the government for the first term after a childs third birthday.

They go to primary in the school year in which they turn 5. Junior is generally attached to/part of primary and not separate.

Then secondary.

misdee · 10/01/2007 00:20

here in herts, at 2.9yrs they go to pre-school, then at 3.9months they go the nursery, then they start school just before they turn five.

Biglips · 10/01/2007 00:27

ohh right...... yes my dd is in a private nursery as we pay for it

how do i find out a pre-school in my area? my dd is gonna be 3 on 1st october

thanks

OP posts:
nappyaddict · 10/01/2007 00:39

some are attached to the primary school. i would probably go for this option as it will mean lo will move up into reception with people they already know - much less daunting.

Biglips · 10/01/2007 08:47

well there is a primary school that Dp went and the school that we want our DD to attend too

ill go there today and speak to someone

thanks xx

OP posts:
Biglips · 10/01/2007 08:47

oh im meant to see if they got a pre-school as well

OP posts:
shosha · 10/01/2007 08:58

Message withdrawn

ledodgy · 10/01/2007 09:14

BL generally in Liverpool because your dd isn't 3 until the October unless she gets into a pre school the following January (which is rare) she won't go until the following September when she's almost 4. However from her third Birthday she will be allowed 5x2.5 hours of free nursery in a private nursery too I think.

ledodgy · 10/01/2007 09:17

Also she will start reception the September after so will be one of the oldest at nearly 5 I hope this helps!

Judy1234 · 10/01/2007 09:21

And all the private nursery schools take the Government vouchers for the 3/4 year olds as a discount off the private school fees so it suddenly gets cheaper when they get to the right age! I think the norm for a lot of parents is say 5 mornigs a week nursery school from age 3 (this is what we did) and then they apply to schools (in our case fee paying schools) which they start in the school year they will be turning 5. But some private schools have nursery parts and parents get them in that age to make it easier to pass or get a place at 4/5 (and same in the state system - priate nursery schoolls have lost places to parents wanting to get children into the state schools in the pre school years in case the child doesn't get into that state school at 4/5).

Biglips · 10/01/2007 09:25

ledodgy - yes thats right as i knew about DD be 5 by the time she starts reception.

so i can keep her where she is now at private nursery and once she turns 3 she will get 5x2.5 hours of free nursery?.....ill find out later as dd had gone to nursery this morning for 2 hours which is the most i can afford in a week

OP posts:
Biglips · 10/01/2007 09:26

So where can i get the Gov vouchers from?

OP posts:
Judy1234 · 10/01/2007 09:37

When my twins were at their private nursery school I think the school wrote to all the parents with a form to fill in and then they processed it and got the money and took it off the fees (I think it was £600 a year per child). They promised to give every 4 (and then I think 3) year old a part time school place and as there were not enough places in state nursery schools they allowed private ones to be in the system.

If you go on to the web site of your local council under Education they will probably have something about it.

usandnosleep · 10/01/2007 09:44

Nursery or pre-school (private or not) will give you a form.
If you google childrens information service' you will get a list of providers in your area.
Your dd can attend private nursery and local pre-school at the same time and split the funding . You get 5 free sessins so you could use 2 at one setting and 3 at another setting. This can be useful if she is settled at the nursery but you would like her to mix with children she will go to school with, obviously this doesn't suit all children.

usandnosleep · 10/01/2007 09:46

If your dd is 5 in Oct then in my area she wouldn't be entitled to funding until the term beginning in January.

LIZS · 10/01/2007 09:51

You won't get funded sessions until this time next year though. Assuming the current nusery meets the LEA criteria they will give you the paperwork to fill in at Christmas. Even then you may have to top up the fees if their sessions go longer than 2 1/2 hours or she stays for lunch. She could either stay put until Sept 2009 when she'd start Reception or you could look for a Preschool for 2008/9 - look here , ask HV or there is probably a list of local ones at the library. hth

Biglips · 10/01/2007 09:59

so is it correct that ive still gotta pay the fees atm out of my pocket till she gets to about 3/4? (Dp is in full time with minimum wage and im a SAHM)

OP posts:
BuffysMum · 10/01/2007 10:05

your private nursery may be "early years registered" and be part of the government scheme to give you the 5 free sessions it may not. You have to ask them.

Blu · 10/01/2007 10:09

Biglips:
If you keep her at your private nursery, yu will get subsidy, as others have said, for one session a day over 5 days, for the school terms. This will probably be for less than your private nursery charges, but will make a big difference. If she only goes one day a week, you will only get the pro rata amount of subsidy for that day. To get the full amount of subsidy, she has to actually attend 5 half day session in the week.

The alternative is to take her to a state nursery or pre-school, usually attached to a primary school. There she will be admitted for a half day session each day, you can usually ask for either morning or afternoon, and hope you get your choice. Then she will need to attend every day for half a day during term time- and you will not pay a penny.

You probably do need to look into applying for a place right now! (ask your local authority education department or the school you would like her to go to)

Biglips · 10/01/2007 10:11

buffy - when my dd first started there.. she had 3 free sessions and then i has to pay. im looking on their website now and it is supported from the Early years but mentioned there are no funded three and four years old children (in march 2005 they were in the process of funding for the 3/4 yrs old) DD started there in April 2006

ill have a look for 2006 now

OP posts:
BuffysMum · 10/01/2007 10:13

If the nursery where she is now is "early years registered" then the academic term after she has turned 3 - presumable Jan - will be entitled to free sessions. How much are you paying per session at the moment?

BuffysMum · 10/01/2007 10:13

If the nursery where she is now is "early years registered" then the academic term after she has turned 3 - presumable Jan - will be entitled to free sessions. How much are you paying per session at the moment?

nailpolish · 10/01/2007 10:13

biglips dh wont have time to build dd2's new bed til the weekend then ill get the blankets washed and post them asap to you

oh ive just remembered you want them measured

brb
Biglips · 10/01/2007 10:13

im gonna nip round to the primary school where i want her to go and ask if they got a preschool as it does mention about having a preschool there (im not orginally from here where i live now so i need to do my homework now! )

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.