My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Did you know that our Government is now lifting children out of poverty by making other children homeless

162 replies

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:13

I just want people to know about this as it is so so shocking.

For the past few months the Government has been ordering the CSA to take out court orders against absent parents who are complying with existing agreements. This occurs where arrears cannot be paid back in two years. There is no mention in the enforcement guidance of ensuring that any other children do not lose their home or suffer other severe hardship as a result. The Government will try to recover arrears through the courts even when they are outside the legal time limit and has powers to force an absent parent to sell their home.

Even the CSA does not agree with this!

OP posts:
Desiderata · 08/08/2007 21:47

Twinkle, the CSA is a dead duck. It no longer exists, except on very thin paper.

My dh has been paying his ex-w for years for his four kids. They've been writing to us for years saying that his owes the CSA £64,000. We don't, they know it, we ignore, they ignore.

This is scaremongering. Anyone with the worst solicitor on the planet would get away with this in two minutes.

There is no legality attached.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:47

Beansprout - I don't know how to be clearer.

OK try this then. You have paid all your tax when asked. The tax man then decides you haven't paid enough after all and decides to take you to court to recover the entire amount immediately. Your DC loses the roof over their head. There is nothing you could have done to prevent it because you were obeying the law.

OP posts:
margoandjerry · 08/08/2007 21:48

Yes that sounds bad. Sympathies.

And your apology is accepted...

Dinosaur · 08/08/2007 21:48

Twinklemegan, is there any sort of appeals procedure? I am wondering whether, if he has evidence of the payments he's been making to his ex all these years, maybe he would be successful in appealing it?

How are relations with his ex - would she be supportive?

Please don't be angry with me, these are genuine questions.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:48

This is not scaremongering. This is happening. DH's case has come to their attention because he made the mistake of telling them we had DS. They are working their way through all the cases.

OP posts:
gomez · 08/08/2007 21:49

But is the case that they are not in fact compying with existing agreements - for whatever reason (and they may of course be very understanable reasons) arears have been run up, agreements reached and then the agreements has been broken.

With all other debts if you come an arrangement to pay back arrears and then break that arrangment further enforcement action may be on the cards. Why shoud CSA debts be any different?

beansprout · 08/08/2007 21:49

TM - I'm not really interested. Don't talk to us like that and then expect us to sympathise with your plight.

If you want to apologise, then I'll listen, but don't assume you can talk to me like that.

Desiderata · 08/08/2007 21:49

Twinkle! Get a grip and ignore the fuckers. Don't lose sleep over it. They've no rights over your or yours whatsoever.

Honestly.

That's why the CSA has been/soon to be, disbanded.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:49

Dinosaur - thanks for the concern. Things are in hand here we think. I just want people to know about this, as I am utterly shocked. But it seems some people just don't want to know.

OP posts:
Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:50

Desiderata - sadly they have. This is the problem.

OP posts:
margoandjerry · 08/08/2007 21:50

well, when people call me an utter bitch, I tend to stop caring about them. Funny that.

gomez · 08/08/2007 21:51

PLease excuse my spelling, grammar etc. am typing (badly) with one hand and can't be bothered to backspace and correct

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:52

BS - I don't want sympathy. I want to be believed when I post a thread to give information in good faith.

I'm sorry for flying off the handle. But I am extremely upset at the thought that nobody cares about the plight of second families at the hands of the Government.

OP posts:
Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:52

M&J - yes I said that. I am sorry. But I posted this thread to alert people to the plight of thousands of other families. They didn't call you an utter bitch. Don't you care about them?

OP posts:
Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:53

Gomez - honestly these are people who are definitely already complying.

OP posts:
beansprout · 08/08/2007 21:54

Sorry followed by "but" and a justification isn't sorry.

I'm off.

jangly · 08/08/2007 21:54

I think, if the ex agrees that she has been given a reasonable amount of maintenance for the children right from the start of the father leaving, then this is unfair and it does seem wrong.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:55

BS - I truly hope it doesn't happen to you.

OP posts:
beansprout · 08/08/2007 21:55

You touch me TM. We have had a really bad time with the CSA, you aren't alone you know.

Desiderata · 08/08/2007 21:56

Twinkle. I will say it again. They have no legality.

Stop getting het up and start listening. I didn't even know that the CSA even existing any more. They've been chasing us for years, despite an amicable divorce settlement.

They are an illegal organization by point of law, and you can hire a wanker to get you out of this. Even I could get you out of this.

You're being hysterical .

A government exists by will of the people. It ain't the other way round. Do not pay them. Ignore them.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:57

I know that BS, but honestly don't you think this is a worrying development? I'm just trying to raise awareness. I really am sorry for flying off the handle. I was nearly in tears when I posted that. I have calmed down now.

OP posts:
gomez · 08/08/2007 21:57

Okay TM fair enough. My understanding was different. Hope you can work it out.

beansprout · 08/08/2007 21:58

But, but, but. Alright then.

Twinklemegan · 08/08/2007 21:58

Desi - if it goes to court people have no choice do they? And even if it doesn't get that far, they can ensure that they ruin a person's credit record.

OP posts:
jangly · 08/08/2007 21:59

If I was in your position I would be lashing out at people too. Can't blame you for it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.