Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Surgical management (D&C) and very scared. Help!!

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 19:52

Hello lovely ladies,

Just looking for some insight on a personal level rather than all the medical jargon I have been dealing with.

So this pregnancy was diagnosed as a blighted ovum and will be my 8th miscarriage. All others have passed naturally, but the doctors seem to think the sac may be stuck...

They have scanned me at 8 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks, there is definitely no baby there.
A D&C was never the original plan, natural was. But as nothing was progressing I went back last week (at 10 weeks) to have 4xMistropol tablets.

We ended up speaking to a surgeon, along with midwives and a consultant and a long 3 hours of discussion a D&C was booked for the 5th Sept.

Anyway, aside from taking in the medical information, I'm just really anxious about going under a general anaesthetic - I know its a quick op, but has anyone on here had one, what was your recovery time like? How did you feel after and am I being an absolute loon for being so anxious?

To this day I have had no bleeding or cramps.
Any one go on to conceive after a D&C?
We've been checked for causes of miscarriage but after 3 years of tests, nothing has given a conclusive answer. Just two more tests left so even more cautious of going back to TTC after this experience

Any advice, stories are very welcomed. Xxxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nowgimmeagin · 03/09/2019 19:56

Sorry for your loss. I had one and to be honest it was the easiest part of the whole experiance.
Going under was fine (despite being so so anxious) and recovery was very quick, some minor bleeding and very mild cramps - far less than my normal period pain.
Went on to conceive my son 3 weeks later!

Please
or

Bumbers · 03/09/2019 20:00

I had a D&C. It really was totally fine - I had no problems (apart from the heartbreak around the miscarriage). Speaking to those who had medicated / natural miscarriages, I would chose it again in a heartbeat. I have not yet conceived again, but a friend who had one at the same time had just given birth to a gorgeous little girl.

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 20:05

Thank you so much for replying! It's good to hear it was the easiest part. This whole process this time has just been heartbreaking. I know they need to be sure there is no baby so cannot fault them, it's just very unfortunate. And HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your son! Such amazing news!! Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 20:08

Thank you Bumbers! It's so reassuring to read you had a good experience in what is just an awful time. Natural has always been horrific, but I've always been so worried about a general / it's never got this far / I never had a choice. I am sure you will go on to conceive and another lovely story about your friend. Everything crossed for you xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nowgimmeagin · 03/09/2019 20:11

Thank you! I remember before having the D and C being beyond terrified, but was shocked at how easy the whole process was (physically, emotionally another matter!)
If its anything like mine the staff and well will be incredibly sympathetic and you will be in good hands.

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 20:20

The staff have been wonderful so far. I did ask to be awake but only select trusts do it, and Guildford isn't one. I keep telling myself all will be fine, but I guess it's just the unknown for this. Thank you again, definitely putting my mind at ease x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Maryann1975 · 03/09/2019 20:27

Physically, when I had my d and c, it was fine. The worst bit was waiting, as my hospital put you on a list which you got bumped down for every emergency that was bought in. I waited all day on ‘nil by mouth’ only to be bumped to the next days list. I was so emotionally drained. Once it was over and I woke up, I had no pain, very limited bleeding (if any) and no side effects from the anaesthetic. (Although I think I am emotionally scarred from the surgery- when I had minor surgery a couple of years ago, I had a panic attack in the ‘prep’ room, as the last time I had been there was for my miscarriage and it brought back all the emotions from that time).
After I’d come round, I was desperate to go home and the staff were really good. I think I was home by lunchtime.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend a d and c to anyone unfortunate enough to be in the same situation. 4 weeks to the day later I got my period and they were completely regular as they always had been (although we didn’t TTC for a few months as I wasn’t ready, I did fall pg the first month of trying later on).

Please
or

DaisyF1986 · 03/09/2019 20:41

Hi, I've had natural, medical and d&c and medical was definitely the worst. Very painful and I was out of action for a while. I felt that natural was more sad as I could see it and feel it, but probably the least traumatic if that makes sense. D&C was fine except the anxiety about the anaesthetic and how I'd feel after, but it was absolutely fine. The worst bit is the waiting. The op was 7 minutes and I was home 2 hours after coming round. No pain. It took a month to get a negative pregnancy test though which was stressful.

Good luck, and so sorry for your losses xx

Please
or

MrsMc2019 · 03/09/2019 20:53

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a blighted ovum discovered in February this year and had my surgery in March. The surgery was not as scary as I thought it would be, the affects of the anaesthesia wore off the next morning as I had a late afternoon op. x

Please
or

CrispMornings · 03/09/2019 21:01

Yep MMC at 12 week scan. Wanted it dealt with and over. Admitted and had op that night. Went home at 10.30pm. Was fine following day - looked after ds as dh had to go to work.

Lots of miscarriages here. Surgeries made no difference and last pg went to 41 weeks and birth was fab

Please
or

Nowgimmeagin · 03/09/2019 21:10

Is that the Royal Surrey? That's where I had mine done.
I didnt ask about being awake as i am too much of a wimp and just wanted to go to sleep and to wake up and it be done but it did feel literally like I was in surgery 30 seconds.
As a pp said upthread, the waiting is probably the worst part of the surgery

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:24

Thank you Maryann. I am only apprehensive over a general anesthesia as I had major surgery years ago that didn't go to plan, 6hrs turned to 8 and I woke up feeling awful and ended up staying in hospital. Two totally different surgeries, it's so very reassuring to read your story, so thank you! Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:26

Daisy, thank you! I was so worried about the pills and to be honest the surgeon and the consultant said the number of women who they saw end up needing and D&C due to failed tablet attempts really pushed me to agree with their decision. It's very good to know this was the best outcome for you and so quick in terms of op time and getting home x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:29

MrsMc, this is the first Blighted Ovum that has been confirmed. We're sure the rest were the same but my body took care of it before we even got to 8 weeks. Good to hear the effects of anesthesia wore off pretty quick xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:31

Crispmornings, so sorry to hear you suffered recurrent miscarriages. Did they ever find a cause? We're going insane with the amount of tests and nothing conclusive. MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS on a healthy pregnancy and birth.xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:33

Nowgimmieagin, yes Royal Surrey. They have been superb in this whole process. I'm due in tomorrow to have bloods drawn before the op on Thursday. As anxious as I am, I'm just looking forward to this all being over and a) getting more answers as they're doing a biopsy on the sac and b) having my body back with no pregnancy symptoms.

OP's posts:
Please
or

QforCucumber · 03/09/2019 21:34

I've had one medically managed and one surgically. I'd now opt for the surgery if it were to happen again. It was over in under an hour, I was home the same evening and bar some cramping it was so easily physically dealt with that you wouldn't have known I'd been in. Of course the mental scars take longer to heal.

Please
or

CrispMornings · 03/09/2019 21:40

Aimsluk it was a long long time ago now. That last baby is 21. However, no reasons at the time but there is far far more research now linking thyrpid disease to miscarriage and I was hypo having been hyper.

Awful when you are going through it but eventually peace comes back.

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:47

@QforCucumber I've been told it's like dealing with a period after. The surgeon said maybe a couple of clots of tissue they missed. Thank you for this, I'm all shocked with pads and hunted out my hot waterbottle

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nowgimmeagin · 03/09/2019 21:47

Best wishes for Thursday and sorry again for your loss x

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:48

@CrispMornings oh definitely a healthy happy baby then haha!

Yes, more available now for tests, and peace definitely returns once it's all over with

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 21:49

@Nowgimmeagin thank you lovely x

OP's posts:
Please
or

QforCucumber · 03/09/2019 22:01

@Aimsluk mine was barely even that - I was all stocked up on heavy pads etc. Needed them for 1 day and that was it. I actually phoned the hospital worried I wasnt bleeding enough. They lovely lady said the kindest thing and had me sobbing....'sweetheart you've been through enough, don't wish more suffering upon yourself and take this one positive from an awful situation' (my baby was diagnosed with an illness at 13 week scan, wouldn't have survived to birth so it was deemed a choice termination)
Hope all goes well, and take heed - look after you and dont punish yourself if you dont feel aches/pains/what you think you 'should' feel.

Please
or

Aimsluk · 03/09/2019 23:36

@QforCucumber that's great advice and something I hadn't even thought of! Oh I am so sorry that was the news you were dealt. Big hugs to you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

futuredreams · 05/09/2019 11:48

I just had mine on Tuesday. This was my third miscarriage so I opted for the surgery as baby was measuring 10 weeks. Honestly I was very nervous. I get anxious in hospitals. They ask you a lot of questions for surgery notes, put the tight socks on you to prevent blood clots, and in my case I was given two tablets to dissolve under my tongue. These are to soften your cervix. Once you take these you will experience some abdominal cramps - this is when I got into the bed after I undressed and gowned, was also given net pants and a very large pad.
Was wheeled into theatre and shifted onto the table. They put the cannula in and asked me how the traffic was on the way there and I was out. Straight after I came around I felt very dizzy but this faded within about an hour. They will make you eat something and prob go to the toilet before they will let you leave like in my case. Also they check vitals and if you are bleeding a lot every half hour.
I have been very tired the last two days and crampy but the whole experience has been ok tbh. I do have some bruising on my stomach which is strange but I'm guessing it was part of the procedure. Anyway I'm writing this in detail because it's all I wanted before I had mine and I wasn't able to find it anywhere. I don't want you to stress. X

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.