Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What aftercare should I expect with a natural miscarriage?

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 01:46

I was told last week that I was miscarrying at 12 weeks. I'd started bleeding but asked for surgical option, they couldn't fit me in until a week later and in the meantime it started in earnest. I called the EPU to let them know and all they said was - do a pregnancy test in 3 weeks.

Am I supposed to get some form of aftercare or check up from EPU or my midwife?

How will I know I've completed (passed it all) my miscarriage?

I've had some heavy bleeding and it doesn't seem enough. Only a few small clots and one soaked pad. (Sorry). I still have period pains /cramps and a heavy/pulling feeling in my pelvis. I'm bleeding very tiny amounts of brown blood after 1 week. This culmination of symptoms makes me think it's not all out yet.

I guess I expected a bit more of a follow up than just to take a pregnancy test in three weeks?

What has anyone else experienced with follow up care?

Thanks Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

n0rtherrn · 07/07/2017 02:28

I've never been in this position so I can't speak from experience but I can see why you're feeling unsure.

I think everything is considered ok as long as the bleeding eventually stops, you don't have a fever or any nasty discharge or lasting severe pain.

If you have any of the above or the bleeding remains heavy and doesn't slow down over time you should seek urgent medical attention.

FlowersCakeBrew

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 02:57

Thanks N0rtherrn - I thought that was the case.

I guess I expected a bit more aftercare from EPU or even my midwife physically and particularly emotionally (it's horrific in both cases) and all I got was a couple of scrappy photocopies of leaflets and to go away. No phone calls or check ups ☚ī¸

Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

BarchesterFlowers · 07/07/2017 03:10

I have had many m/c sadly and your experience is fairly standard.

If you feel like you would benefit from counselling you need to ask your GP.

If you don't think it is progressing properly you need to call the EPU straight away.

💐

Please
or

Helbelle75 · 07/07/2017 03:38

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a mmc last year at 10.5 weeks and muscattied nsturally. There was no aftercare. I was told the same as you about the pregnancy test.
I went to the doctor to be signed off work (ibwork with children ) and he gave me the number for cruse bereavement which really helped.

Please
or

beingsunny · 07/07/2017 03:47

I think the assumption will be that it has progressed normally, your body is doing a natural thing and unless you have a real reason to believe it hasn't occurred then they will leave you to recover.

Is there anything you believe which was wrong with the miscarriage interns of ongoing pain where you are still using strong painkillers more than two weeks after?

Everyone's experience will be different but I understand your worry.

Maybe call your GP and talk to them about your concerns.

Flowers

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 10:32

Hi all, thank you for your posts. I think I should call my GP and discuss getting a scan and counselling - beingsunny I haven't had much physical pain (only a couple of paracetamol) or much blood either which terrifys me. I think if I go out or into work will it start again? I'm a 1.5hr commute from work so I'd be in a mess.

helbelle75 I'm sorry for your loss. How awful, the aftercare for something so significant is dreadful. When I look online for guidance it's all talk around miscarriage of bereavement, PTSD, emotional pain, possible infection, heavy blood loss and significant physical pain. Surely one of the health professionals should at least call to check, and maybe offer further advice. It's the single most significant thing that's ever happened to me and there's just nothing. I haven't even been signed off work. I'm astounded to be honest. Shock

I guess I'll have to go find help myself. My heart rally does go out to all those ladies who have experienced this Flowers

Thank you for replying all x x

OP's posts:
Please
or

FrostyPopThePenguinLord · 07/07/2017 10:43

I went to hospital with mine because I was losing a reasonable amount of blood and in a lot of pIn. some tissue was stuck in my cervix which was pulled out and the pain was much better after than.
Other than that I was told 3 weeks and then pregnancy test, if it's not negative then come back...
I did and it was fine...felt funny a week later so did an early test (we have thousands I swear) and it had a line. I'm now 6 weeks with the next one without a break and I'm so scared it will happen again because my body had no rest and they can't do anything for me or suggest anything in the EPAC. My anxiety is so bad it's actually causing me pain and I'm not an anxious person usually.
I'm going to go to my Gp next week if I can get an appointment for help but given nhs waiting times I'll have had the baby before I see anyone....

Please
or

beingsunny · 07/07/2017 10:43

If you are worried, go see your GP for sure. It is a scary thing, I'm sure everything is fine and you have nothing to worry about and I hope you recover mentally from this too.

Best of luck and Flowers

Please
or

guiltynetter · 07/07/2017 10:49

i don't understand this at all, i have had 2 early miscarriages (7&8 weeks) both times been to the EPU, both times been told to come back in two weeks for another scan to check it's all gone and things are okay. it just doesn't seem right you've been told away and nothing else :( i can't believe that's standard? so sorry for your loss.

Please
or

BarchesterFlowers · 07/07/2017 11:23

I have had nine miscarriages, some early, some late. Some have been complicated, most have not.

Unless there is a reason for medical intervention an early miscarriage can be managed at home. My early ones were just like a heavy, painful period.

I had counselling after a very traumatic experience where the products became stuck in my cervix and I lost several pints of blood/was in hospital for a week, but that was one of the late ones.

The only time I have had repeated scans is for two missed miscarriages that didn't occur immediately. I was trying to allow my body to miscarry naturally without intervention and was monitored every week until it happened.

Counselling might be a good idea but physically the 'take a test in two/three weeks' is fairly standard advice.

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 11:25

frostypop I've read up online that your body is most fertile after a miscarriage so it's natures way of saying "bring it on we're ready for this" - and the stats for second miscarriage are low. if you're really concerned maybe look at a private scan or your GP may refer you earlier- best of luck x

OP's posts:
Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 11:31

Oh god barchesterflowers I didn't mean to be insensitive with my last post. Thank you for posting. I'm just a bit baffled by it all. I basically wait until I'm infected to get a check up! I'm just shocked.

I don't know how you manage after nine losses. Sending you virtual hugs Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

BarchesterFlowers · 07/07/2017 11:41

You don't wait until you get infected james. I have never had an infection, I think that you are scaring yourself by reading stuff.

Not wishing to sound harsh but it isn't an illness, it is a natural, albeit sad, bodily process.

Please
or

IloveDisney37 · 07/07/2017 11:46

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a mmc last week and the blood loss has begun to taper off a bit now. I was told the same as you, test in two to three weeks. I had some heavier bleeding and was loseing large clots for several hours. By the time I managed to get to the epu it had calmed but they scanned again to make sure. They found I had a bit of lineing left that needed to pass and again given the advice test in two to three weeks and sent away. I don't feel confident in this either, although I felt supported at the unit it feels like I just have to cope on my own now! I wish there was some sort of follow up.

Please
or

greentreeseverywhere · 07/07/2017 11:51

I received a letter from my doctor a week after my erpc saying if I need to talk to someone and a lost of numbers and that his door was also always open. it was very sweet and nice to know someone cared after. sorry you are experiencing this xxx

Please
or

greentreeseverywhere · 07/07/2017 11:51

I received a letter from my doctor a week after my erpc saying if I need to talk to someone and a lost of numbers and that his door was also always open. it was very sweet and nice to know someone cared after. sorry you are experiencing this xxx

Please
or

toriaplum · 07/07/2017 12:37

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a mmc at 11weeks, a week today. After light bleeding and cramping, for two days I miscarried as I got to the EPU. I lost what felt like a lot of blood and tissue very quickly. I was scanned while it was happening was told that I still had lining to pass. The midwife at the EPU said I could go home. My DH quite firmly asked that I was checked over. I was sent gynaecology and was examined by a doctor and was kept in over night for observation. The bleeding got lighter and I was sent home with exactly the same advice as you james. Flowers
There was no mention of a follow up or any other advice unless there was severe pain or bleeding.

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 15:45

Thank you- it appears that my experience is standard in some cases and in other cases other health authorities do a bit more to follow up.

Ive spoken to my GP and talked through my symptoms and she's referring me for a scan to check it's all gone. She'd not even been notified by EPU just been told I went to A&E with a suspected miscarriage (I didn't go to A&E at all). She's also signed me off work.

OP's posts:
Please
or

user1499278556 · 07/07/2017 19:46

Having recently just suffered a miscarriage at 5 weeks I was left in limbo. Went to EPU when I had been bleeding for a day and the pregnancy was still as it should be. Was told to go back in two weeks if it hadn't stopped or if it got very heavy or very painful! It got heavier, wasn't painful and carried on for over a week. I was convinced it was over but had absolutely no way of being sure so had to call the Gp back. Luckily they saw sense and got EPU to see me again which confirmed the miscarriage. The worse bit was the not knowing and the fact they seemed reluctant to see me again

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 23:57

user1499278556 it's such a dreadful time too, I really don't understand what's going on at all. Sending hugs Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 10/07/2017 02:01

Anyone got any advice?

Bearing in mind my miscarriage started last Friday (over a week ago now) and my GP has referred me for a scan, although I've not got a date yet.

Last few nights I've had horrific cramping, almost like contractions through the night. Tiny amount of blood.

No pains during the day.

Last night I was going to call EPU but was worried that I wouldn't be able to speak due to the pain.

Tonight is the same.

It might be my uterus retracting but the pain is 8 out of 10. Is that to be expected? I can hardly breathe here.

OP's posts:
Please
or

IloveDisney37 · 10/07/2017 07:29

I had one night like this with my mc. I phoned the epu and was called in the following morning. I think you should get checked to be on the safe side. Good luck. X

Please
or

dudemeister76 · 10/07/2017 09:31

James,
Call the EPU direct yourself! sounds like you still have more to pass to me. Maybe your cervix won't dilate enough to let it out i don't know, but i had a miscarriage last Sunday at 11 weeks baby measured 7 weeks 5 days and i lost LOADS then five days later i had more contractions at night and i passed the sac which was rather large too. I know everyones experience is different but i reckon you shouldn't have to wait for help when your in so much pain. Sending lots of hugs. Keep us posted xx

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 10/07/2017 15:32

Thank you posters. I'm only experiencing pain at night (nothing in the day) weirdly and have been having a lie down today to see if it's specific to lying down but nothing.
If it happens again tonight I'll give them a call. Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

TippyTinkleTrousers · 11/07/2017 15:19

At this stage you would pass the placenta and the baby.

Unless something of that nature hasn't occurred yet then it hasn't 'happened' so to speak.

I opted for the medical management at the hospital last week and saw the baby and the placenta (14 weeks).

Then on Sunday I had horrendous cramps and passed more placenta which was deeply unpleasant because I thought it had all passed.

My waters broke before all of this and some mucus plug.

OP if I were you I'd turn up at the EPU and ask for a scan. Or get your GP to refer you.

I'd actually paid for a private scan because I 'knew' something was wrong. And went straight to the EPU after that and they admitted me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.