Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What aftercare should I expect with a natural miscarriage?

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 07/07/2017 01:46

I was told last week that I was miscarrying at 12 weeks. I'd started bleeding but asked for surgical option, they couldn't fit me in until a week later and in the meantime it started in earnest. I called the EPU to let them know and all they said was - do a pregnancy test in 3 weeks.

Am I supposed to get some form of aftercare or check up from EPU or my midwife?

How will I know I've completed (passed it all) my miscarriage?

I've had some heavy bleeding and it doesn't seem enough. Only a few small clots and one soaked pad. (Sorry). I still have period pains /cramps and a heavy/pulling feeling in my pelvis. I'm bleeding very tiny amounts of brown blood after 1 week. This culmination of symptoms makes me think it's not all out yet.

I guess I expected a bit more of a follow up than just to take a pregnancy test in three weeks?

What has anyone else experienced with follow up care?

Thanks Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 11/07/2017 18:10

Well I've had an eventful night. So last night the pain got worse and I called the EPU who wouldn't see me, they said I had to go to A&E- I thought that EPU were there to help if there was severe pain but apparently not. I called 111 and told the my symptoms and they said go to A&E. so turned up at A&E in excruciating pain and they saw me immediately and gave me morphine.

(In the meantime DH faints in the A&E cublicle as he watches my cannula being put in! - nurse hits the alarm, he hits the deck, I'm rolling around in pain and he's out cold. 4 nurses come running and tip me out of the bay to then put him in it! Grin) He will never live this down!!

After that drama the morphine kicks in and I'm transferred to EPU- where I've started bleeding again and I pass the sac, they examine me and find more pieces and remove them. A scan has confirmed that it's now a complete miscarriage.

I'm exhausted now. I knew that It wasn't complete and feel really let down by the EPU and my midwife. On Friday I'd called to tell them something wasn't right but no one would see me GP, midwife or EPU - explaining it away as uterus retracting pains. This is 10 days after it all first started. I had to be in such a state as to require morphine for anyone to take me seriously Angry and waste the time of A&E rather than get appropriate assistance from the health professionals that I'd been assigned.

Anyway I'm ok now, although a bit traumatised by it all. Thank you for your help mumsnetters Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

MouseLove · 11/07/2017 21:52

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a mmc at 10 weeks in February and I passed the sack naturally in A&E 3 days after I first started bleeding. 3 days in absolute agony on pain killers and hot water bottles. I was petrified of passing my baby at home. Turns out I actually finally did in the A&E waiting room toilets. I was able to give the remains to the doctor and they were amazingly compassionate.

At a time when I was completely vulnerable they took my stats, gave me a cup of tea and made sure I didn't leave until I felt ok. I had a scan at the EPU a day after and then again 2 weeks later.

It makes me really sad when I hear about bad experience stories. I was looked after so well that I really can't complain. I had an early scan at 7 weeks and we got to see the heartbeat. When I started bleeding A&E sent me for another scan the day after, and then again another few days after that. I'm so grateful. We were able to arrange a group cremation with the help of our EPU.

I know it probably feels very surreal right now but your language suggests you're in good spirits, please keep that. You are stronger than you can ever imagine!! X

Please
or

JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt · 11/07/2017 22:32

Thanks mouse - sorry for your loss too Flowers you're right, it's such a vulnerable time, not to mention worrying, emotionally and physically painful. I can only hope my experience with aftercare is a one off as I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I felt like I was begging for someone to take notice and help me. Eventually they did but I was made to feel like a time waster. There was a six hour wait time in A&E and they whisked me through straight away which just shows how serious the pain was.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?