My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Have I miscarried?

70 replies

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 14:29

I was 7 weeks on Tuesday. I had a missed miscarriage last October at 10 weeks, and baby had died at 7 weeks, so as you can imagine, this was the week I was most worried about.

Last night I got some really horrible, shocking news about a friend's newborn baby :( and ten minutes later felt like I'd lost a bit of bladder control so rushed upstairs to find I'd gushed red blood down my legs. Devastated. The bleeding carried on for about half an hour, constant dripping, still fresh red, with a couple of medium sized clots but as far as I could see, no sac (like I had with the medically managed miscarriage in October). I saw the out of hours GP last night and am waiting for a referral to EPU.

The bleeding has stopped, with just a couple of (TMI) red wipes since last night. There was no pain or cramping last night. Nothing today. Waiting for a scan, eith a weekend in the way too, could be a bit of a seemingly endless nightmare of not knowing and dreading the worst.

I've googled way too much and know that some people bleed like this and go on fine with their pregnancies but also it could just be a classic miscarriage and I just don't know it.

What does it sound like to you? Thanks :)

OP posts:
Blx2thelotofem · 24/02/2012 14:31

It could be a Sub Chorionic Hematoma.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 14:34

Thanks for the reply. Sounds scary! Off to google...

OP posts:
Blx2thelotofem · 24/02/2012 14:37

I have had two in this pregnancy, one at 6 weeks and one at 7 weeks. Both times I lost a significant amount of blood, including big clots. I had a scan both times and the baby seems fine. I am on total bed rest for the foreseeable future.

I hope you're OK. I don't want to get your hopes up. Can you go and get a scan?

Blx2thelotofem · 24/02/2012 14:38

... also, if you can get some medical help and you haven't miscarried, they can give you a Progesterone shot to support the pregnancy.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 15:05

Thanks for the support :) It sounds like a possibility at least. Obviously only the scan will tell (I just wish it didn't take so long to get one...am getting more and more tempted by the hour to book a private one with that £100 we don't have!).

Were your bleeds sudden too? Was there pain?

OP posts:
welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 15:11

How are you finding total bed rest? It'd drive me mad Grin

OP posts:
Blx2thelotofem · 24/02/2012 16:42

I had a bit of cramping both times, not much, but lots and lots of blood.

As for the bed rest, this baby is the result of our third (and final) round of IVF. I will do anything to ensure that the pregnancy goes smoothly.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 17:11

Ah, well, then in that case, absolutely definitely positively stay in bed :) Wishing you all the best with it :)

I remember having a brief moment of period type cramping lunchtime yesterday but it didn't last more than 5 minutes. Nothing like the cramping during the last MC.

I've got a scan appointment now, for Tuesday morning. Sooner than I thought but still feels like a lifetime away.

OP posts:
welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 18:17

Something I forgot to add in the OP and directed at anyone who knows or has an opinion - do you think a big emotional shock can bring on a miscarriage or bleed? DH is convinced it is no coincidence that I bled within ten minutes of getting very upset at some news.

OP posts:
neolara · 24/02/2012 18:22

No, I don't think a miscarriage can be brought on by a big emotional shock. (I've had 4 and have read lots and lots about it.). I think the most common cause of miscarriage is chromosomal abnormality which is not affected by emotions.

Good luck. Really hope it all works out for you.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 18:28

Thanks for the reply neolara. I tend to agree, I'm sure that it was just a very sad coincidence. Thanks for the kind wishes.

OP posts:
calypso2008 · 24/02/2012 18:33

Hi wellies

I had exactly this at exactly 7 weeks, and as Blx2 says, it was a heamatoma. I was advised COMPLETE bedrest as a heamatoma is basically a big bruise/bleeding in the womb. It threatens to carry away the embryo and so you need to let it get rid of itself (reabsirb the blood and not get bigger) by not doing anything at all.

Eventually they told me it was getting bigger and that I may lose the baby, but I stayed in bed and three weeks later it had shrunk and 3 more weeks later gone and now I have a 3 year old. So, I would take Blx2's advice and really, really rest this weekend... then at the scan you will see, but it does not sound like a miscarriage, necessarily to me, it sounds like what I had, exactly. I was just folding up the ironing board and had what you describe to a tee.

Good luck to both you , OP and Blx2, the bedrest is awful and the wait awful, but you will get through.
Sending love and positive thoughts.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 18:45

Thanks for the kind message calypso. It's great to hear someone else's experiences. I'm not trying to be in denial or grasp at straws, I just feel that it's too short and painless to have been a proper or at least full miscarriage. Will take everyone's advice and take it very easy until the scan.

OP posts:
RobinSparkles · 24/02/2012 19:02

What you describe sounds similar to what happened to my friend in her last pregnancy. She went to the toilet and felt a gush and realised that it was bright red blood. She had no pain and no other bleeding.

She was 12 weeks ish though, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Her little boy is now nearly two, so everything was fine!

I have everything crossed for you! Get plenty of rest Smile

OracleInaCoracle · 24/02/2012 19:08

fuck.

Im sorry honey, bleeding is so scary. fwiw, I bled constantly from 5w-21w with ds, sometimes very heavily.

rest, and stop googling.

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 19:19

Thanks, robin. Once again, it's that gush+red blood+sudden stop+no pain... Hmmmmm. Tried getting dh to look it up with me but he's still so scared, poor dab, and just wants to let the scan tell us the truth, not try guessing. I understand but...

Lissie (nice to bump in to you, how the hell are you? X) thanks for posting. You're so kind, after all the pain you have been through with this kind of thing over the years. Didn't know you'd bled with ds too though. Stop googling is good advice though - might be easier if the active convos got a bit less boring more friday night-ish! Or something good came on tv!

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 24/02/2012 19:25

Fwiw, my bleeds were a lot like that. Once I soaked a pair of jeans just be standing up. Have you had sex? It could be a touch of cervial erosion. No pain is good though. But you know the drill, shouldertip or onesided pain A&E. Ditto if you start flooding etc. What is your epu like?

welliesandpyjamas · 24/02/2012 19:37

No, it'd been a couple of days since sex so don't think it was that. Pregnancy fatigue is such a passionkiller Wink The EPU is good once you get your foot in the door but they are busy enough to be very protective about access without a letter from a GP (which takes a while, or at least feels like it when you're thinking the worst). They were nice last time and the doctor was clearly very experienced in this area.

Gotcha re the shouldertip, one sided pain, and flooding. Thank you again :)

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 25/02/2012 19:38

How are you today, lovey?

welliesandpyjamas · 25/02/2012 20:04

Thanks for thinking of me, sweets. Ok thanks - been through anger and resignation and back again... No change down below though, just a little bit of brown blood, which I think means that I must have MCed :( Maybe that bleed was a lot heavier than I thought, making it a very quick MC. Dunno. It's so shit, isn't it.

OP posts:
OracleInaCoracle · 25/02/2012 20:17

Its utterly shit and unfair. There is still hope though, esp since you've had no pain, I would expect some. Any clots?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip · 25/02/2012 20:17

There are many reasons for bleeding in pregnancy I bled for weeks very heavily at times and on several occasions I assumed the worse but miraculously baby stayed put and is now a happy healthy 15 month old. Just take it easy rest and please don't give up hope . Until you have the scan there's no way of knowing. I know it's scary and I really hope the scan brings good news!!! Thinking of you .

welliesandpyjamas · 25/02/2012 20:22

Lissie - yes, one medium sized clot (looked like a bit of liver iykwim) and a smaller one on Thursday night during the bleed. Might have been a bit more but I couldn't see it properly.

Wheremy - thanks so much for the positive, kind thoughts :) I keep thinking I'm feeling fluttery feelings down there, expecting it to be a bit more loss, but then nothing happens. I really hope I'll be lucky but I think I'm kind of resigned now that it must have been a MC. My stomach feels a bit flatter too.

OP posts:
Sadielady29 · 25/02/2012 20:23

I bled like that til I was 25 weeks with dd1 and she's now a big 5 year old. It may still be ok. I've everything crossed for you

RobinSparkles · 25/02/2012 20:52

Still keeping everything crossed for you wellies!

It's a crap waiting game isn't it? Tuesday seems like such a long time away Sad.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.