My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Low-carb diets

Hey BIWI, i'm joining in...

57 replies

BeyondPreparedForHell · 26/10/2014 15:44

Also starting that swimming soon that i was told to do about six months ago... Blush

Not weighing and writing everything down religiously yet, but seeing if a small effort make a difference to start :) been lowcarbing for a few days but gonna start keeping a food diary here. Today I've had...

Breakfast - raspberries and grapes with yoghurt, coffee with no sugar for the first time ever (been weaning myself last few days)

Lunch - cucumber with pate and chorizo. Four pieces dark choc

Dinner - leftover korma with cauliflower bhaji. Have half a naan left too but prob wont eat all of it (couldnt manage it yesterday, already!)

OP posts:
Jo4694 · 02/11/2014 12:33

Hi

For first two weeks what are good breakfasts as yogurt, cottage cheese have carbs over 5g/100g. Fruit not allowed. Oats not allowed. Nuts not allowed.

Need something quick.

Can I have a low carb protein shake?

ChesterDrawers · 02/11/2014 20:24

Don't be scared by high fat, you need it as once you run out of carbs your body uses it as it's main source of energy. Trust me, that is A Good Thing. The more fat you eat, the easier you will find it, you'll feel fuller too.

I've never done Atkins but think its a similar plan. Bootcamp has just 10 rules though, so is nice and simple.

With regard to breakfast, full fat Greek yogurt is ok - lowest carb ones are Total and Lidl. I add a sploosh of double cream to up the fat. Also eggs are great, cooked anyway. Always try to add fat (butter is good mashed in) if you can.

Not sure on protein shakes, but I personally wouldn't.

MrsHerculePoirot · 03/11/2014 13:36

jo scrambled eggs are super quick, or poached eggs I find, or go continental with meats and cheeses. The other thing is to prepare some boiled eggs the night before, or make breakfast muffins and just warm them up in microwave or just eat them! The other thing is to make the break from thinking of traditional breakfast foods and just eat the same as at other meals- leftovers from the night before is always good!

Atkins if I recall required counting carbs and allowed/encouraged artificial low carb foods. Bootcampis about breaking the sweet tooth addiction too so artificial sweetener etc are discouraged. I also seem to rememeber eating more protein on Atkins, where my meals on bootcamp are more based around vegetables, although both higher fat. Feel free to jump into the bootcamp threads and ask questions there - you'll find lots of support if you want it.

BeyondPreparedForHell · 03/11/2014 18:14

B- coconut porridge
L- two slices of ham and a piece of cheese
D- kedgeree-ish thing. Kippers, eggs, mushrooms, cream and butter. One of my fave foods :) with some cucumber to up the veg count

Its about ten years since i tried it, but i think i remember a lot more checking carbs on atkins, and a lot more 'banned' veg (I vividly remember picking grated carrot out of a bolognese once), whereas so far i'm finding my bootcamp-lite-ish WOE a doddle.

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 03/11/2014 21:17

Snack - melted my couple of bits of dark chocolate with some hazelnut butter and some extra butter. Yum.

OP posts:
Jo4694 · 04/11/2014 12:41

Hi,

So sorry my questions will stop soon. Few quick ones:

1. What is a breakfast muffin?
  2. Am I allowed ground almonds? and is that in first 2 weeks?
  3. Am I allowed dark chocolate 70%+ or cocoa powder, I saw a hot choc recipe - and if yes, can I have this in the first 2 weeks?

Thanks for all your help!

Jo
SayraT · 04/11/2014 15:25

Hi Jo,

A breakfast muffin as far as I know is like a mini crustless quiche made in a muffin tin. So eggs mixed with whatever you want (bacon, mushroom, sausage etc) and into a muffin tin. In oven until cooked then can be eaten cold or warmed up for a quick breakfast.

Nuts are allowed once past the initial two weeks, but only in moderation. For example, a few nuts or some ground almonds in a recipe.

Same for dark choc and cocoa, ok in moderation after the first two weeks. I made the hot chocolate and thought it was disgusting, you may not Grin

BeyondPreparedForHell · 04/11/2014 17:01

Not much choice today, shopping coming in the morning so on a bit of a use up...

B- bacon, fried eggs, mushrooms
L- yoghurt and berries. Some olives
D- pork and leek sausages, cauli and broccoli cheese, garlic butter spinach

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 05/11/2014 09:58

B- muffin in a minute (in a mug) with cream cheese

Shopping here, chicken in the oven ready for dinner as i'll be out this afternoon. Think i'll be having omelette for lunch as have fresh courgettes...?

OP posts:
Greengrow · 05/11/2014 10:21

Good luck with it. The first post though sounds like a carb diet! (Sugar for breakfast ie. fruit - chocolate a lunch and bread for dinner).

Jo4694 · 05/11/2014 15:30

Sorry another question!

I am eating quite a bit of cheese. Some places it says watch dairy, but then most recipes and people's menus have cheese. Cheese make it so much more bearable. But should I be limiting this in the first two weeks?

BeyondPreparedForHell · 05/11/2014 17:55

I'm eating it unlimited and seeing how it goes. Always have the option to cut back then :)

L- 2 egg omelette with cream and cheese, courgette, mushrooms, half a tomato and a slice of ham. With rocket salad

D- just under half of a roast chicken with brocolli and cauli cheese (bloody typical that the fresh veg i ordered is what i ate frozen last night!)

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 05/11/2014 22:06

S- dark chocolate and almonds

OP posts:
MrsHerculePoirot · 05/11/2014 22:28

jo eat it for now and see how it goes, if you think it is stalling you then you can cut back later.

Well done beyond!

BeyondPreparedForHell · 06/11/2014 08:34

:)

B- mim with added marmite, with mexicana cheese, olives and rocket. Coffee with cream

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 06/11/2014 22:47

D- cottage pie with leek, courgette and mushroom. Mashed swede and cheese on top. Served with rocket, cucumber and half a tomato

OP posts:
ReturnofSaturn · 07/11/2014 03:35

Hey
I'm joining in but not gonna be super duper strict with itSmile postings will be at odd times as I'am in Canada.
Today:
B- two egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms fried in butter. With sarachi sauce
L- three fried chicken strips dipped in mango sauce
D- two pieces of steak, fried mushrooms and onion with lettuce and half a tomato

BeyondPreparedForHell · 07/11/2014 10:55

Hi return :)

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 07/11/2014 11:28

B- bacon and fried eggs

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 08/11/2014 15:46

Yesterday

L- berries and yoghurt
D- chicken kebab and salad

Today

B- berries and yoghurt
L- celery with pate and cream cheese
D- steak, mushrooms and dont know what else yet

Just been swimming too :)

OP posts:
BeyondPreparedForHell · 09/11/2014 11:06

B- berries and yoghurt

OP posts:
Jo4694 · 09/11/2014 15:50

Hi

Me again. I was worried I feel I have gained weight since starting, too scared to weigh myself. So I tried logging yesterday on my fitness and was shocked at the calories I was eating. Prob over 2000.

That cannot be right. So how am I meant to eat high fat but not eat a ridiculous intake of calories?

BeyondPreparedForHell · 09/11/2014 20:56

No idea, i'm afraid, i've not input anything to know whether that is normal - I'd go and ask on the bootcamp thread, they are experts there.

No lunch for me, dinner was weird - chicken wings, sausage, few pieces sweet potato, cucumber and mayo

Little bit of dark chocolate and one g&t as I'm in pain and meds not helping. Going to my head quite nicely :)

OP posts:
MrsHerculePoirot · 10/11/2014 09:21

Jo if you are eating low carb high fat, your body will go into ketosis which means that it is burning fat for energy. You will need to be careful though as if you eat high fat and not low enough carbs then this is a recipe for weight gain. If you are high fat and low carb, then you will be absolutely fine - I lost nothing eating 1200 calories for four weeks, swapped to low carb/high fat and generally eat 1800 - 2000 calories and have lost loads of weight! So what I am trying to say is if you are careful enough with what you are eating carb wise, then you can ignore the calories, and maybe only reduce them or cut out some diary if you are reaching your goal weight and have a stall..

In all honesty I am not the best person to explain, but if you want to pop onto the bootcamp thread and ask that question, there are a lot of very helpful people who can explain it better than me there!

BeyondPreparedForHell · 10/11/2014 13:58

B- coconut porridge
L- celery with pate

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.