My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

Goverment announce £10million package for primary schools music (and what songs should go in the song book?)

57 replies

MrsJohnCusack · 17/01/2007 07:09

here

missing the coverage for this as...er, don't live in the UK anymore! BUt am still interested. What do people think about this, is it going to work? Is it a good idea to promote singing (I say YES) but do the LibDems have a point when they say only 13% of primary pupils learn an instrument.

And, more fun this, what songs would you put in the song book?

OP posts:
maisym · 17/01/2007 07:17

how many choir school are there if they are to work wwith local schools??

MrsJohnCusack · 17/01/2007 07:23

yes I don't understand the choir school thing properly...there really can't be that many. I suppose the idea is they share their expertise with local schools - no idea how though.
I could read the full Music manifesto & the government thingy I suppose... but am kind of hoping someone who HAS would summarise for me

OP posts:
maisym · 17/01/2007 07:27

music & art are so important to development - just letting kids have a go on instruments. Free music lessons, being able to rent a violin etc or use on at school, recorder groups, a school orchestra. Could parents help out?

MrsJohnCusack · 17/01/2007 07:32

I do think singing is great and has the advantage of being easy to do in groups and doesn't need as much equipment. Also group singing can make you feel great and release endorphins etc. And shyer people can hide more in a group of singers.
but I do think there needs to be the opportunity to try out instruments as well, as you say. if I could open the blardy government website I could see if there's any mention of that.
mind you, anything that attepmts to address the parlous state of music in schools is a Good Thing.

bet they put a load of old cobblers in the song book though.

OP posts:
SueW · 17/01/2007 07:42

Song to go in book: okki tokki unga

Fondly remembered from my primary school days

SueW · 17/01/2007 07:45

When DD & I went for an afternoon at school in Switzerland the teacher there did a session on group singing, you know the sort of 'London's Burning' round singing but in German.

She also taught them Incy Wincy Spider - in English - but she wasn't aware there were actions so I ended up leading the class. My first ever solo singing performance (8yos are so easy to please and so non-judgemental )

paulaplumpbottom · 17/01/2007 11:00

Music programs are indespensible. They give children confidence and discipline if they are learning an instrument. I benefited greatly from learning an instrument and was always able to rent from the schools I attended. Instruments are expensive you can't expect all parents to be able to afford them.Even if it was a rent to own scheme.

julienetmum · 17/01/2007 11:41

Well I am obviously biased as dh is a singing teacher who goes into schools to do this sort of thing but I think it is fantastic.

Singing is such an important skill and from it can develop lots of things.

You can start children off singing from very young, nursery and reception age. Learning a musical instrument is important too but is really only for juniors upwards.

Walk before you run, start with the basics (good singing) and you lay a foundation for the future.

julienetmum · 17/01/2007 11:44

Songs to go in the book

Warm Ups (often forgotten) Chicken tikka and me-ah smile

Mr Wiggly and Mr Waggly (teaches sirening in a fun way)

The Penguin Song

LOADS of others

snorkle · 17/01/2007 14:14

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula · 17/01/2007 14:15

£10 mill is a drop in the ocean though

100PerCentCod · 17/01/2007 14:17

all of joseph

um who buyilt hte ark - no ah no ah

cock robin( god that made me cry)
ilkely oor bahtat fro inclusion purposes

100PerCentCod · 17/01/2007 14:17

giev me JOY in mny hear

and that autumn dayas one

and the one " we will go out wiht joy"

Enid · 17/01/2007 14:19

it sounds very middle class

would prefer art boost - all kids can make stuff, not all kids are musical

southeastastra · 17/01/2007 14:19

when i was at school music lessons were the norm. children need to learn to read music any instrument will do, recorders, guitars. i feel learning to read music more important than singing.

snorkle · 17/01/2007 14:19

Message withdrawn

Marina · 17/01/2007 14:23

I think it's fantastic too julie and Howard Goodall is so passionate about music, he's a great choice.
Agree that plenty of Joseph should go in there! Jacob and Sons is my favourite.

100PerCentCod · 17/01/2007 14:25

my tow hate making crap

paulaplumpbottom · 17/01/2007 16:01

My daughter would rather sing than make stuff as well.

EmmyLou · 17/01/2007 16:42

John Langstaff - Sons for Singing Children has some great songs. My mum has this CD and played it while my older two DDs were drawing etc one day when we were visiting and they loved it. Pitched right for children's voices apparently.

SueW · 17/01/2007 17:17

It shouldn't be a question or either art or music, fgs

SueW · 17/01/2007 17:19

DD will soon have grown out of her 3/4 violin and I would love to donate it to a worthy cause (subject to DH agreeing since I don't suppose I should just give it away without asking him too!) but it's very difficult to find a worthy cause of this kind. Although I suppose DD's teacher might know of one.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

tortoiseSHELL · 17/01/2007 17:20

I think they're making too much of it - it's not that hard to get kids to sing tbh, ds1's school does LOADs of singing, given any encouragement primary school children will sing!

Not sure about having '1 book' - with the internet that would be a better resource - kids never learn singing with books anyway - a website with downloadable songs would be more effective imo!

Agree about Joseph though!

Califrau · 17/01/2007 17:26

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau · 17/01/2007 17:26

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.