to access all these features

News

'Women Only Jihad'

29 replies

worldgonewild · 28/10/2006 15:04

A programme that may interest some of you;

DISPATCHES: Women Only Jihad
Channel 4, Monday 30th October 9pm.

It looks as though it will concentrate on UK muslim women's struggle with their men folk to gain their rights to pray at their local mosques (among other issues).

OP posts:
skanger · 28/10/2006 15:32

sounds interesting-thanks

expatinscotland · 28/10/2006 15:34

The trailer looks interesting.

worldgonewild · 28/10/2006 18:06

Yes it does. I put the programme info on here because there has been so much discussion about the nijab on this forum. I hazard a guess that there will be a few individuals on Ch 4's programme wearing nijabs who will mention why and how they choose to do so. As well covering other issues important to them of course. I also hazard a guess that some of them will be younger women who have CHOSEN their path(s). (That's quite a few 'hazards' ).

May enlighten those of us on here who would like to know more. And some of those on here who think they know more!

OP posts:
Blandmum · 28/10/2006 18:30

It looks as if it will be very interesting.

Flamesparrow · 28/10/2006 18:32

Have we always had a "current affairs" section???

Can you all please remind me about this on Monday? I forget

Blandmum · 28/10/2006 18:33

I could do with a prompt as well, or I will also forget.

worldgonewild · 28/10/2006 20:50

If you live near a mosque, maybe the call to pray will remind you.

OP posts:
Flamebat · 30/10/2006 08:09

Bump

worldgonewild · 30/10/2006 09:46

Prompt.

DISPATCHES: Women Only Jihad
Channel 4, Monday 30th October 9pm.

OP posts:
worldgonewild · 31/10/2006 07:35

Oops. It was actually 8pm but still hope some of you got to see it, as the programme was very informative. It showed some views of young modern British muslim women, centred around their struggle to have their right to pray and meet up in their local mosques. Of course there were men who had other ideas. I think some of them had only just rolled out of their cave yesterday.

OP posts:
Flamebat · 31/10/2006 08:32

Missed it

Was it on Ch4? It might be on on demand...

worldgonewild · 31/10/2006 10:38

Yes, Ch4. Maybe avail with 4oD, but bound to be repeated on More4, More4+1, E4, E4+1, Jihad4U. It's worth a view!

OP posts:
saintAugustine · 31/10/2006 10:42

i didn't see the end but i watched most of it. thought it was great - i had no idea women wrn't allowed to pray in mosques - but not all mosques - if i am correct - however its a large trend in the uk.

its rubbish that a womans faith and sense of community isn't held as highly as a mans. she says argumentitivley.

JoolsToo · 31/10/2006 13:26

it just showed how entrenched some muslim mens views are - heads and brick walls come to mind.

Interesting that in the intro they said this kind of protest is only tolerated in the west.

worldgonewild · 31/10/2006 13:31

stA. Yes I agree. Seems to be all about control & power to the muslim (in this case) man over his wife. Ironically, nearer to the end of the prog., they showed the Finsbury Park mosque (not far from me btw) has accepted women since the mosque reopened. It was put in the prog. that if women can be allowed to gather in mosques to pray & socialize then eventually these places may become less radicalized. Good point I thought.

OP posts:
KathyDCLXVI · 31/10/2006 13:35

That was such an interesting programme.
How cool were those women?

It was really nice to see a programme showing Muslim women as assertive and intelligent, not downtrodden etc, while at the same time not making light of the problems they face in their communities.

I hope Saadia and Fuzzy see this - I would love to know what they think.

worldgonewild · 31/10/2006 13:56

Very cool.

I really didn't like the agression that came at them outside one of the mosques they were asking to enter. It was out on the road too, a public space! Made me want to be there to help them out (and punch those guys on the nose.....oops!). Maybe not. But they are very brave, very determined and obviously very intelligent, savy individuals.

OP posts:
divamummy · 31/10/2006 21:13

yepp, i also think where is mumsnet muslim mums? why dont they tell us what the think?
i watched the programme, and i think those women so brave and they have rights to fight for.

fuzzywuzzy · 31/10/2006 21:26

I don't have a teeeveee [weeping hysterically emoticon]

But Actually it's far too common for women to have to fight for access to a mosque. One of the few mosques local to me which does allow women, pissed off a lot of the men, as some women spent a lot of the time yakking, so it was pretty difficult to hear the prayers..... But it's unfair to penalise every woman for the behaviour of a few, ototh why didn't those who didn't want to pray go to a cafe or something to chat????

Otoh, the newer mosques have really nice spacious areas for women, my friend who lives near central london mosque (not a new mosque obviously), says it's really lovely to be able to attend the congregational prayers.

Sheraz · 31/10/2006 21:53

I found this programme really interesting, what struck me, and I may be wrong is that a christian church is open to anyone, there is no one at the door to stop you coming in. I am not sure if I would be free to enter a mosque and just sit in and observe... i don't know. I have never been in a mosque and I would like to see inside, it is just something that i would not feel comfortable doing.

fuzzywuzzy · 31/10/2006 21:56

no one's going to stop you. If there's no womens section you may be told this after wondering around for a bit.
When I was little and used to attend the mosque, people would often wonder in ask stuff and then meander out again. It's not terribly interesting if your not participating I would think.

Sheraz · 31/10/2006 22:00

Oh, thanks, there are a few near me and i have been tempted to put my head in. Would not want to intrude if it was special times or dates though.

fuzzywuzzy · 31/10/2006 22:10

no special anything tbh. Although you may get incredibly lost if you enter during prayer times. If you do, and see a lot of people down on the ground forheads and noses pressed against the floor, moving in unison to a single mans voice. Do not be alarmed. And if they ignore you for the duration fo this strange ceremony do not be offended. We aren't allowed to speak or look around whilst praying once it's over we can natter away.
If you want to go in go ahead, but seriously most mosques are nowhere near as prettily ornamented as RC (I've only been inside one RC church so sorry cannot compare to any others), churches. A lot of mosques are just converted houses, with carpetted prayer mats in the prayer area.

worldgonewild · 01/11/2006 07:23

My dd loved visiting her local mosque with her primary school, as she did the local Greek church. Me, I've been to that famous one in Cairo and to the 'Dome on the rock' in the old city. I liked the simplicity of their design, the big open spaces and of course, like churches, they're very peaceful.

OP posts:
KatherinewheelMCMLXXII · 01/11/2006 12:47

DH and I were wondering who actually owns mosques - do they belong to a charitable trust, for instance? We were wondering whether the women in the programme could go to the trustees or the charity commissioners, or if they're just run as private organisations.

I have never been in one either - my school used to run a trip to Regents Park Mosque but for some reason this was stopped.

There are several within a few streets of my house in Leicester (as well as a big synagogue that everyone assumes is a mosque because it has a dome) but most of them are converted houses, as Fuzzy describes. I really can't imagine visiting one of these!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.