Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

Woman released 1 yr after killing her newborn due to PND

52 replies

beegee · 24/10/2006 11:10

Really tragic story. The woman burnt her flat down with the LO inside. She had been suffering from severe PND and hadn't received any support or been properly diagnosed.

Did anyone see the section on GMTV this morning on the subject?

OP posts:
FioFio · 24/10/2006 11:12

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

beegee · 24/10/2006 11:14

It really wants to make me weep..

OP posts:
expatinscotland · 24/10/2006 11:14

She sent texts to her ex-partner, about her mental anguish.

He never answered them.

beegee · 24/10/2006 11:16

How awful. If only she'd had some help...who knows..

I speak from experience when I know how desperate and isolated PND can make you feel.

OP posts:
ginmummy · 24/10/2006 11:17

Very sad story. Feel desperately sorry for everyone involved, especially the poor baby.

SPACEdoutzombieCADET · 24/10/2006 11:20

oh no, how awful..and uneccessary if shed received the correct support

beegee · 24/10/2006 11:22

Indeed, space.

OP posts:
Callisto · 24/10/2006 11:56

I will probably get shot down for this but it all seemed a bit strange to me. Not your 'normal' PND mothers behaviour - the elaborate lies, the planning involved etc. I thought most PND sufferers don't care if they are caught and most seem to want to die with their children?

expatinscotland · 24/10/2006 12:01

I wanted to die. Most definitely.

But definitely can't say what was going round in her head.

VeniVidiVickiQV · 24/10/2006 12:02

No, its probably the "Puerpurral Psychosis" variety of PND, which is in fact extremely serious - for reasons that this very case illustrates.

Terribly terribly sad.

lulumama · 24/10/2006 12:03

definition of puerperal psychosis

it could have been puerperal psychosis....which can result in mothers believing the baby is 'evil'
but don't underestimate the severity of untreated PND...

VeniVidiVickiQV · 24/10/2006 12:03

I didnt want to die. I wanted my DS to stop crying for more than just 20 minutes. That gave me some rather horrendous thoughts that I'd rather not elaborate on.

beegee · 24/10/2006 12:48

I clearly remember wanting to escape from it all to the point that I would have gladly thrown myself out of the window. It seemed like a brilliantly rational idea at the time...

What stopped me? I was able to call my dp and my mum who came home immediately...

I just remember not being in ownership of my mind like I am now and like I'd been before. Bloody awful time.

OP posts:
Pitchounette · 24/10/2006 13:28

Message withdrawn

Zippetydoodahzippetyday · 24/10/2006 13:33

Its similar to that case in America where that woman killed all FIVE of her children as a result of puerpal psychosis. Each pregnancy had made it worse and they didn't believe in contraception as they were quite religious, she tried to kill herself a few times but still received no help with the care of her children.

So sad cannot imagine how it feels.

Callisto · 24/10/2006 14:00

Thanks for explaining everyone. Can't understand how this wasn't spotted earlier. Just unlucky that she had a useless HV probably. So sad.

VeniVidiVickiQV · 24/10/2006 16:45

Same old same old. If she doesnt attend baby clinic for weigh ins, and they dont do home visits other than the initial one - it wont get spotted. My HVs had no clue at all that I was low - i had no contact with them unless I made it myself after the first 12 weeks. The only reason I had so much contact with my HV's was because of the struggle with b/feeding for the first 8 weeks.

Lets face it - how many of us when asked if we are okay (and bearing in mind with mental illness things are skewed somewhat anyway as to what is "normal") have simply said "Yeah, fine"? Even though in reality, we feel like crap or have had no sleep or have no clue if we are doing the right thing for our baby or whatever.

beegee · 24/10/2006 19:04

VVVQV - I'm so with you on this.

My PND was picked up by 'accident'. I had been feeling awful and hadn't taken my dd to any weigh-ins. My health visitor phoned up coincidently to organise a visit for my ds - completely unrelated - and found me in uncontrollable tears.

I only picked up the phone at that moment because I was expecting a call from ds.

My HV came round straight away and was great after that...BUT...

How long would it have taken me to get help if she hadn't spoken to me that day? When she told me I had classic syptoms for PND I didn't believe her straight away as I hadn't a clue what it was. I just thought I was going mad and nothing was going to stop it.

Mothers are just simply unable to diagnose it for themselves and need regular contact from a HV espcially around the time symptoms most commonly surface.

Grrr..

OP posts:
beegee · 24/10/2006 19:05

Sorry - expecting call from DP!

OP posts:
lulumama · 24/10/2006 19:07

MY old HV ( LUCKILY now at a new practice)

came round to do edinburgh test..asked me how i was feeling,, when i said that i wasn't doing well...she said, 'lets do the test another day then'!!

it was 18 months before i was diagnosed

&

often wonder what would have happened if she had just listened

beegee · 24/10/2006 19:11

lulu - I'm so sorry for you. It beggars belief.

(are you fully recovered now? I'm in recovery but much better than I was)

OP posts:
HRHQueenOfQuotes · 24/10/2006 19:13

my PND with DS1 was never picked up - I always said "I'm fine" when asked - but looking back (after having been on AD's for PND after having DS2) I know I was really bad with it......just wouldn't admit it and no-one else picked up on it.

lulumama · 24/10/2006 19:14

glad to say i am Beegee..2 yrs 3 months since came off ADs..but took a long time, a lot of effort and a lot of AD, ,CBT, therapy to get there....

in a way..i am almost glad i had the experience..terrible as it was at the time...because all the therapy & soul searching made me who am i am today..

stronger, happier, more confident and more alive!

hope that makes sense...

also, made me appreciate the wonderful time i am having with DD, being able to enjoy her babyhood without the spectre of PND hanging over us all..

Pitchounette · 24/10/2006 19:16

Message withdrawn

lulumama · 24/10/2006 19:18

do you think this might make the HVs & Docs think twice before dismissing a woman as 'tired' or 'hypochondriac' or as 'its normal to feel like that when you've had a baby'

or make people understand that it is a real illness with real and sometimes devastating consequences...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.