My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

forget creationism in schools....abortion is about to be make illegal in mississippi

72 replies

Heathcliffscathy · 10/03/2006 20:15

\link{http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4743118.stm\in an attempt to overturn roe vs wade}

OP posts:
Heathcliffscathy · 10/03/2006 20:17

listened to radio 4 about this...there is one clinic in the whole state, and the dr running it is in fear of his life...

it's disgraceful.

OP posts:
morningpaper · 10/03/2006 20:18

there seem to be a lot of states with only one clinic

terrifying

Pruni · 10/03/2006 20:25

Insane.
Thin end of the wedge.
Handmaid's Tale and all that.
Women in Mississippi will soon find that their credit cards mysteriously don't work.

morningpaper · 10/03/2006 20:26

pruni Grin

or not

hunkermunker · 10/03/2006 20:26

Pruni, my first thought was Margaret Atwood related! America's leading the way in lunacy, once again Sad

WickedViperWitch · 10/03/2006 20:29

Oh god, this will be so so awful if it happens, tihs is the thin end of the wedge.

Pruni · 10/03/2006 20:29

MP very much not
Most horrifying book I've ever read, btw.

I suppose, though, that looking at it pragmatically - and given that not all American states are full of loons - if you wanted/needed a termination, you could technically go to a state where they're carried out?

WickedViperWitch · 10/03/2006 20:30

Pruni, I posted before I read your post, I wasn't copying, honest!

Pruni · 10/03/2006 20:44

Wink We're just both insightful and intelligent, WWW

Bugsy2 · 10/03/2006 21:18

Don't like this at all. Hate the intolerance that banning abortion suggests. Seems so repressive.
I'm not keen on abortion but I'm very pro women and I think that women have spent too many years scuttling around in back street slaughter houses, putting their lives at risk, for us to go back to that because of religious fanatics or male control freaks.

DominiConnor · 14/03/2006 21:55

I think it'sworth pointing out that the people gighting against abortion are at least as likely to be women as men.
That being said, this is just tokenist politics.
Not only do people who support women's rights expect higher courts to trash this directly, most of the paedophile organisers are actually quite upset that this has happened at this time because it will draw them into a fight they will lose expensively.

ruty · 15/03/2006 11:15

when you see the kind of banners held up in the protest against Brokeback Mountain at the Oscars, you know what kind of hateful people push for these repressive laws.

Blu · 15/03/2006 11:25

"If states can decree that life begins at conception, they might also be able to use state custody laws to curtail the movements of pregnant women," William Baude argued in a recent New York Times editorial.

"Once Roe has been overturned, a state may be able to place an unborn child into protective custody, forbidding their mothers to take them across state lines." "

Wasn't there a case, a long time ago, where court action forbade a young Irish woman to come to London for a termination?

lunarx · 15/03/2006 11:29

well, the fact that it's happened in South Dakota...does not surprise me it will happen elsewhere in the US.
different states have different abortion laws, so it may not be so easy for a minor say from south dakota to just go to another state :(

this worries me. greatly:(

Blu · 15/03/2006 11:32

Especially as it is likely to be neighbouring states that impose this ban - so women could end up having to travel thousands of (expensive) miles. Poor / young women won't stand a chance.

motherinferior · 15/03/2006 11:33

Yes, that option just won't be open to a lot of women.

Flamesparrow · 15/03/2006 11:36

Its getting more and more frightening over there :(

Did anyone see the thing about Teen America with Peaches Geldof - watching how convinced they were that sex would get them pregnant, and how they knew nothing about contraceptives... its just sooo scary and the future looks more and more insane...

wannaBe1974 · 15/03/2006 16:09

they interviewed a legal expert on fivelive about this and he said it's highly unlikely that this law will be passed. He also said that there are constantly challenges made to the courts in the states trying to have abortion banned, but they generally just don't make it into the media.

Uwila · 15/03/2006 16:35

I was going to say that it is unlikely for all states to make it illegal so there would still be some choice. Then I read:

"Once Roe has been overturned, a state may be able to place an unborn child into protective custody, forbidding their mothers to take them across state lines."

This is horrible. Don't make the mistake of thinking all Americans or even most will be for it.

I am a die hard Republican. And I am wholly and completly against this. I am also staunchly opposed to parental notification.

Uwila · 15/03/2006 16:38

Before Roe v Wade abortion was legal in California and New York and nowhere else. If you live in the middle, you've got a long way to go.

lunarx · 16/03/2006 11:29

and states banning abortion will bring about the return of backstreet/back alley abortions:(

expatinscotland · 16/03/2006 11:37

it already has been in south dakota.

DominiConnor · 16/03/2006 13:37

Wasn't there a case, a long time ago, where court action forbade a young Irish woman to come to London for a termination?
Not that long ago. Don't forget Ireland is still a Catholic country, so if a girl is raped as was the case here, that is seen as irrelevant.

The EU had to lean hard on Ireland to get them to stop locking up gays. Remember the fight over divorce ?
What is scary in all these things is that Ireland is a proper functional democracy. Irish people voted in referendums to support laws that aren't seen much outside Iran.

Uwila · 16/03/2006 13:40

See. It's not the Americans that are looney. It's the Irish! (just kidding of course)

chipmonkey · 16/03/2006 14:37

Actually, DominiConnor, we are not a Catholic country, we have no state religion. The majority of people here would describe themselves as Catholics BY CHOICE but whether they attend Mass every Sunday is another matter.
When did we last lock up gays? It was Britain that locked up Oscar Wilde, not us. Even before we officially legalised gay sex, I don't remember anyone being imprisoned for it. The Senator who finally legalised it had been openly gay for years and there was no talk of imprisoning him.
What "fight" over divorce? There have been VOTES on divorce, certainly and it took a long time before we got it but that is the thing about democracy, every country decides for itself. Every person in Ireland has the right to choose which way they vote and I choose to vote differently from my parents.
Getting a bit tired of your racism and sectarianism tbh.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.