My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

News

OP posts:
cambridgeferret · 09/01/2012 22:12

My favourite episode is the one where Daddy pig tries to put the picture up. Priceless.
They must have a hell of a piggy hoover to vacuum up that rubble though. Anyone know where I can buy one?

The worst example must be the Mr Men on Milkshake at 7.10. Mr rude usually crams in at least one fart.
Poor old Mr Quiet roped behind him nearly fell off the mountain.

Love Ben & Holly. And yes I'm convinced the wise old elf and Nanny plum are at it in the classroom after Elf School.
Can imagine her casting the spell now... Elf so wise, let it rise....:)

myTHINyear · 09/01/2012 22:39

Peppa always has the last word- irritating

Bumpage · 09/01/2012 23:27

I do think kids mimic what they see but also what they see in nursery or playground. My hubby has said on occasion no to peppa but then i find him watching thundercats with dd which at 3 i think is unexceptable would rather have a child saying no than fighting.
Also Ben & Holly, Peppa Pig humf etc are all made by the same people with most of same people doing the voices so one is no better than the other. The one i really disliked was Angelina ballerina what a horrid example. Horrid henry well it' in the title it's not going to be bring you mum flowers lol

Bumpage · 09/01/2012 23:29

But let's be honest we all think she would make a great bacon butty :)

JjandtheBean · 10/01/2012 00:32

Just choked laughing at ferrets erection spell Grin

SardineQueen · 10/01/2012 08:43

My fave peppa pig episode is the one with the lighthouse where brian blessed is in charge

When they arrive:
Brian (granpa dog I think): It gets so lonely out here on my own
Peppa: Oh how long have you been here?
Brian (booming merrily): Since Tuesday!

And at the end when they have to phone and ask him to put the foghorn on, and the foghorn is grandpa dog (?) ie Brian yelling "FOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGG" through a megaphone

Makes me Grin Grin Grin every time

Ben and holly is really funny too. The episode with the giant fish when Mr Elf gets to say "It's Mutiny! Mutiny on the Bunty" Grin Grin

Chrissy89 · 10/01/2012 11:50

This is sad, fair enough children can learn bad habits from tv programmes, but its not just cartoons they can get bad habits from, but it's our job as parents to actually teach them the way they should and shouldn't behave.

My daughter loves peppa pig and has Learnt loads from this. She knows she's not aloud to jump in puddles if she isn't wearing her wellies and this show helped her with her counting and also how to share toys. She's not a perfect child, but no child is.

If she started to act out, I would never put it down to a cartoon, I'll just sit her down and explain to her why she should act the way she just did. She knows she can only watch cartoons if she's being good and as soon as she starts messing around she'll get a warning and if she carries on they go off.

Most parents would say their kids would pick up bad behaviour from nursery and school, but you wouldn't take them out of it would you....

I think some people just like to complain about everything....all I say is stop complaining and actually spend more time with your children and then they will probably stop acting out.....

theliverpoolone · 10/01/2012 12:12

DD (4) has been watching Peppa for about 2 years now (not continuously, I hasten to add Grin). We love it - I think there's far more bratty behaviour modelled on The Little Princess (everyone has to do exactly what she wants all the time) and Angelina Ballerina, and don't get me started on that annoying little shite Noddy!

The only Peppa episode I didn't feel set a good example was the one about Mr Skinnylegs the spider - fair enough, in the end it showed George and Peppa fine with the spider, but at first Mummy, Daddy and Peppa were all really scared of it, and I'd been trying so hard to never react as if spiders were scary things for dd - this episode then put in her mind that actually spiders are something to be scared of.

Otherwise fab - love the episodes about hanging the picture, Monsieur Donkey and Delphine coming over from France, and the time capsule one where there was a video of Daddy Pig and all the other grown ups when they were children (still with Mdme Gazelle as their teacher!) Grin.

suzi2 · 10/01/2012 12:52

I love PP. My kids have watched it for years and neither has an urge to jump in muddy puddles. Peppa is a bit bossy and cheeky at times, but both my children seem to recognise that and will say "Peppa is being mean to George again". Mummy pig is a saint. Daddy pig is such a brilliant character. Miss Rabbit is wonder woman Grin. I like the one where Daddy puts up a picture.

Though I'm an even bigger fan of Ben & Holly! So is DH. Nanny Plum is one of the best characters on TV and I'm actually quite surprised that they can get away with her in a kids programme.

mandyj1977 · 10/01/2012 13:21

i love peppa pig, i don't think it sets a bad example. kids were playing up, not listening and eating chocolate cake long before peppa pig kept along!!!

Francagoestohollywood · 10/01/2012 13:58

I am really struggling to see where/when exactly is Peppa rude or brattish.
It is a program for small children, who btw can be rude and brattish, it is their job.
Nor can I say anything bad about poor Charlie and Lola. Yes, she can be a pita at times, but again, many children (and adults!) can be!

What a useless article.

Francagoestohollywood · 10/01/2012 14:00

And btw, good tv programs for children/good literature for children will always model some "bad behaviour" because this is how children reflect and act about it.
It is us the parents who have the responsibility to help our children make sense of what they see on tv, etc.

lisaflipflop · 10/01/2012 14:27

i was just so glad when my DD got into peppa and i didn't have to watch In the night garden any more - if I have to sit through any more of those i think i'll stick my head in the oven!!!

HipHopOpotomus · 10/01/2012 14:35

I agree Lisa - Peppa gave us some light relief from SHOUTY Dora!

prettyfly1 · 10/01/2012 14:37

Snort. I LOVE the idea that people could blame something as innocent and actually very real like Peppa Pig for their kids behaviour. For a start if your child is not behaving well after watching any show TURN IT OFF. Simples. Secondly - your childs behaviour is your problem. Manage it better. I can see the headlines now - "two year old child says yuck to veg" "four year old girl whines when she doesnt get her own way". Yip - shocker, got to be the non-violent, non-aggressive, educational, gentle cartoons fault! Never heard of such extreme behaviour in tiny adults......................

JeanBodel · 10/01/2012 14:50

I love Peppa Pig.

I am struggling with the next level up of children's TV, though. Made it through about 3 minutes of Ben 10 before insisting on the switch back to CBeebies. Thought Ben 10 was the most appalling load of tosh I had ever seen.

Then DS came back from school demanding to watch Spongebob Squarepants. Well, we watched one episode. Never again. Never, ever again, not until he is 18. And has bought his own TV. And a house to watch it in.

Francagoestohollywood · 10/01/2012 14:58

Oh Spongebob is not funny at all, I find.
For my dc next level up were old episodes of Scooby Doo (I am snobbish re new ones), and Charlie and Lola.
My eldest is now 9.5 and likes Phineas and Pherb.

dstevenson · 10/01/2012 16:41

Perhaps parents should stop blaming television every time their child 'misbehaves'. My niece is one of the world's biggest PP fans and she's extremely well behaved- sure like a little girl is supposed to be, she has her moments but the programmes I watched when I was younger (Rainbow or The Magic Roundabout but to name a few) had not only contained sexual innuendo but also drug references. I have neither turned out to be a sex pest or a drug addict, in fact far from it!

wahwahwah · 10/01/2012 16:50

I am sure Stalin never saw Peppa Pig.

prettyfly1 · 10/01/2012 18:42

even before then - most of the old nursery rhymes and fairy tales are gory in the extreme - I dont believe I have stolen any geese lately or attempted to kidnap and cook children and I was raised on a steady diet of those.

dementedma · 10/01/2012 20:29

my 76 year old mother loves Spongebob - well she likes Patrick best - and DS has introduced her to Phineas and Ferb! Grandma rocks.
Older DDs have got her into Glee and Women Who Kill. What a combination!
when DS was small, Grandma used to mind him quite a lot and was on occasions overheard referring to Bob the Builder as Bob the effing builder.

debivamp · 10/01/2012 20:42

here s a thought - get a life all those who get upset over a bloody kids programme - if you don't like it TURN IT OFF. you are making mumsnet a laughing stock.

isittooearlyforgin · 10/01/2012 22:04

cambridge ferret - mr men seem to have completely got away with making mr rude French, Mr Mean Scottish and Mr Lazy from Liverpool!!

ahhyesiseeyouvepooedonyourfoot · 10/01/2012 22:23

Has no one else noticed (sorry if they have and I'm blind..) that the article says under the photo of the toddler 'tantrumming' -
"Tantrum: Parents on the Mumsnet site said that many toddlers had started arguing over what foods they liked and saying 'yuck' and 'no'"

Did we?!?

Kellamity · 10/01/2012 22:27

I love Peppa and The Koala Brothers and Curious George!

The best tv programme has got to be Diddy Dick and Dom - is that wrong?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.