My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

How do you dry washing …

93 replies

FawnFrenchieMum · 05/07/2021 07:55

When it’s raining?!

Towels, jeans, underwear etc all get chucked in the dryer but things like T-shirt’s, joggers etc that shrink, how do you keep on top of drying them? Got half a load that was on the line that got soaked and half of the next load waiting to dry.

Obviously radiators arn’t on at this time of the year and too wet to hang out?!

OP posts:
SushiGo · 05/07/2021 07:59

Stick an airer wherever you can! Ideally next to a open window to reduce condensation

Even without the radiators on, it should be warm enough to dry things.

TheGallopingGourmet · 05/07/2021 08:02

Bought a house November 2019 complete with a Sheila maid in the lounge above a coal fire. Its brilliant for drying all my washing but sadly doesn't fit with my renovation plan so will have to go.

PurpleDaisies · 05/07/2021 08:02

Everything on an airer/ hangers in small bathroom. Dehumidifier on. Dry in a few hours.

ChiefInspectorParker · 05/07/2021 08:02

This reply has been withdrawn

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

Woeismethischristmas · 05/07/2021 08:03

I have an airer in the greenhouse. If it’s breezy I open both doors and let the wind blow through. Quite good on a rainy day with sunny spells as it bakes everything dry. Lots of cheap plastic coat hangers from IKEA for the kids clothes so I hang stuff on them onto the airer and straight in the wardrobe.

SBAM · 05/07/2021 08:05

Airer on the landing/spare room, with a little plug in dehumidifier or the window open. And an airer in the bathroom too if I’m running out of room.

christdoinghisunspecifiedhobby · 05/07/2021 08:07

Ours just goes on an airer in the dining room, as much as it annoys me. We don't have room in any of the bedrooms. In rainy weather we seem to have the airer out all the time and I hate the sight of it!

I bought my mum a Lakeland heated airer, she loved it but she was living in a small flat with poor ventilation and had problems with mildew and I wondered if drying the clothes indoors was the root of the problem.

ShagMeRiggins · 05/07/2021 08:09

We have a teensy “laundry/utility” room and have installed a pot hanger on the ceiling. I put the clothes on hangers and hang them on the inside rails and outside rails. Can fit more clothes that way.

Even without a room to do this it’s possible. I’d find the place of greatest sunshine or heat, as it helps.

DwangelaForever · 05/07/2021 08:10

The heated dryers are great but they do contribute to some condensation mold. I used mine in my downstairs loo with the window open and still got some black mold on the walls 🙄.

ShagMeRiggins · 05/07/2021 08:11

Something like this. Can be found on eBay for far less than new in shops.

How do you dry washing …
Mumdiva99 · 05/07/2021 08:11

Airers wherever there is space. In old house that was in the living room or a bedroom. Now it's dining room and bedroom.

Bagelsandbrie · 05/07/2021 08:12

Get the biggest indoor airer you can so you can spread things out properly and just wait days for it to dry! There’s no short cut unfortunately. I also find shaking things really well and hanging them on hangers over doorways also works.

Wanttocry · 05/07/2021 08:12

Airer either inside, or outside under our covered carport thing if it’s not too cold/windy.

dementedpixie · 05/07/2021 08:13

Clothes horse/airer
I don't have a tumble dryer and live in Scotland so our washing mostly dries indoors

didireallysaythat · 05/07/2021 08:14

Covered whirly wig washing line. Use it all year round (although not very useful when it's damp outside)

Bagelsandbrie · 05/07/2021 08:14

I have this and love it -

www.argos.co.uk/product/8500368?clickSR=slp:term:minky:4:40:1

You can put the shelves up or down for longer or shorter things and I just bring it in and outdoors depending on the weather. Best one I’ve ever had.

Mpsister · 05/07/2021 08:15

I use an airer or put things on coat hangers and hang them on the doors!

dementedpixie · 05/07/2021 08:16

I also have that Minky tower airer plus a different one that I use for jeans and towels

Comedycook · 05/07/2021 08:17

I have a heated airer from Lakeland...love it

BreakfastOfWaffles · 05/07/2021 08:18

This is really a more long-term solution, but I find joggers from M&S and H&M are fine in the tumble drier, as are t shirts from there, as well as Uniqlo. Being able to put these in the drier too definitely reduces the amount hanging around on rainy days.

ChiefInspectorParker · 05/07/2021 08:19

ChiefInspectorParker · 05/07/2021 08:21

FawnFrenchieMum · 05/07/2021 08:24

@SushiGo

Stick an airer wherever you can! Ideally next to a open window to reduce condensation

Even without the radiators on, it should be warm enough to dry things.

I’ve had a T-shirt on each downstairs radiator all night and it’s still damp!
OP posts:
ItWasntMyFault · 05/07/2021 08:28

On hangers and an airer with a dehumidifier on

HasaDigaEebowai · 05/07/2021 08:31

I’ve reached the age of 48 without ever having had a problem putting t shirts or jogging bottoms in the tumble dryer Confused.
But I also have a pulley maid airer in the laundry

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.