My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Moving to America

62 replies

nikkim · 20/02/2005 16:46

My dp and I have been looking to move from Lancashire for a while and have now decided that if we are going to move it may as well be a big one so have decided on America, but that is as far as we have got.

Mumsnetters who know America - or who live there - where would you recommend?

And a legal question, can my ex stop me leaving the country with our daugter if we are going to secure a better standard of life than we have presently and we can both forge successful careers out there?

OP posts:
Ameriscot2005 · 20/02/2005 20:37

Ten-a-penny, Nikkim!

nikkim · 20/02/2005 20:41

I have residency of dd as he has threatened to disapear with her before among other things I don't want to go into here. However he has calmed down and we get on quite well with a certain degree of frostiness. I would like to think he would not stop us going out of sheer stubborness and he could see the benefits for her moving away.

I also think a family court would see that as a family unit my dd and I have been through a lot and that a new start is what we need. I knoiw of other cases where the mother has been able to move away for similar reasons, I suppose it is down to the court if it gets that far.

OP posts:
nikkim · 20/02/2005 20:42

Am I ten-a-penny? But dd is so cute, surely that should make us desirables? Are we going to be stuck in Blackpool forever??

OP posts:
nikkim · 20/02/2005 20:43

Sad Sad Sad

OP posts:
SPARKLER1 · 20/02/2005 20:49

HI Nikkim. Dh and I have been trying to get the America for nearly 3 years now. It has been very difficult for us to get there. The visas run out so quickly. We were actually over there 12 months ago. Took the kids over as well so we could see if we liked it. Dh has worked over there before and he fell in love with it. Just as he finds a possible suitable job it's too late. We almost got there last year - someone was very interested in employing him but on 1/2 October the visas had gone. We are trying to get there this October now. He is going to contact the company he had interviews with last year in March and hopefully they will have a position to suit him. We can put the application in for visa on 1 April if it all goes according to plan. Where would you like to relocate to? We are looking to move to Denver Colorado.

SPARKLER1 · 20/02/2005 21:13

zebra · 20/02/2005 21:17

I'm from San Diego & I wouldn't go back to live there. But that's because I can't handle big cities any more... depends what you like.

nikkim · 20/02/2005 21:17

We were in the early stsges of brainstorming ideas, thinking North of washington, maybe Boston or even near the Canada border.

As i said long term we wanted to end up in Canada, but have discovered that it may be easier just to go to Canada from the beginning.

OP posts:
SPARKLER1 · 20/02/2005 21:19

I fancied Canada when we first started looking into moving away but we didn't have enough points to qualify. Gave up on that and decide to try the states.

jabberwocky · 20/02/2005 21:30

We live in the south (TN) so the weather is pretty decent most of the time. Culturally, though, it is quite conservative in general although there are pockets of liberals such as our group of friends sprinkled throughout. If we were to move I would seriously consider upstate NY where dh is from (about 2 hours from the city) or the Pacific NW.

nikkim · 20/02/2005 21:30

We got 71 points , and you need 67 and that was without a job offer which dp reckons he could get.

OP posts:
jabberwocky · 20/02/2005 21:31

PS
After the election we considered a move to Canada too

nikkim · 20/02/2005 21:32

Jaberwocky, I am a real leftie luvvie so don't quite think I could hack the conservative south, or them me for that matter.

OP posts:
nikkim · 20/02/2005 21:33

please someone with a positive easy emigration story come and talk to me!!!

OP posts:
SPARKLER1 · 20/02/2005 21:35

Hopefully in a month or two I can come back with a positive story for you. Fingers crossed........and everything else for that matter.

nikkim · 20/02/2005 21:35

we may meet on the border one day!

OP posts:
nikkim · 21/02/2005 10:14

On a postive note at last, spoken to ex and although he is not happy he will not stand in our way if we want to move.

OP posts:
SPARKLER1 · 21/02/2005 10:37

Excellent.

nikkim · 21/02/2005 10:42

we can go just need to find someone who wants us!!

OP posts:
joesy · 21/02/2005 19:34

Can your dp not do sub contracting. when we were in San Diego there was guys there that after a while went staff and so the company was getting them their green card. It might take a while but worth looking into. Has your dp not contacted any agencies in England about work in the States? Take up Nursing yourself.

nikkim · 21/02/2005 20:40

Been a day of developments, dp has been speaking to someone today who has just come back from working in Canada working for dp company. He has given dp a list of contacts which he is in the process of chasing up. Dp has been told that to get a contract over there should take about five months, quicker if we wanted and that if he does well which he would permanent work is a formality as there is a shortage of design engineers with excellent knowledge of CAD.

I have also been talking to a relocation company, as we are both crap with paperwork etc and feel happier handing it all over to someone who knows what they are doing. Anyway they have said we fulfill all the criteria to enter Canada, which I knew anyway.

OP posts:
nikkim · 21/02/2005 20:41

And they don't want us to get married!!!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

joesy · 22/02/2005 00:23

What is the name of the company my dh might be interested.

nikkim · 22/02/2005 00:31

The relocation company are called overseas emigration visas

Have to admit we haven't done that much research into them, will probably contact a few more companies to compare services and prices etc. They had a link to the channel four programme no going back - which sold it to dp. "If they are good enough for channel 4 they are good enough for us."

I know other people that have done all the paperwork themselves but would rather hand it over.

OP posts:
joesy · 22/02/2005 00:46

did you ever find out what dp designs?Who does he work for at present?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.