Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Greek islands vs Menorca/Majorca

30 replies

minipie · 16/06/2022 10:40

We’ve been to the Greek islands a lot and absolutely love them, but wondering about a change for next year.

Menorca and Majorca appeal, the beaches look beautiful and seems like we could do a similar holiday. We like to have a self catered place but be able to walk to the beach and restaurants for dinner, maybe a car to explore further.

Anyone familiar with both, how do they compare? Is there a similar relaxed feel in the Balearics? What are the differences (apart from obviously the food and language!!) are the beach areas more built up maybe?

If anyone has any specific Balearics recommendations with older primary kids (age 10 and 8) that would be fab.

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

CeeJay81 · 16/06/2022 14:52

I'm also a fan of the greek islands and def prefer Menorca to Majorca. Majorca is much more built up and busier, just wasn't my cup of tea. Menorca is lovely. Its quiet and relaxing with just a couple of larger towns. If you like gin and cheese, Menorca is for you😁.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 14:54

Thank you! Menorca sounds great. Any areas you would recommend? I love gin and cheese, possibly not together Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/06/2022 15:03

Interesting question - I've always gone for Greece, as I love it there, but this year we're off to Cala D'or in Mallorca. It looks and sounds lovely, and very similar to the Greek islands in vibe.

Unfortunately I can't report back till the end of August!

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 15:05

Ah ! Do report back Greebols !

OP posts:
Please
or

TheRoadToRuin · 16/06/2022 15:13

I've been to many Greek islands and both Menorca and Majorca.
The biggest difference is in the infrastructure.
I used to think it quaint that Greek islands didn't have pavements or street lights or much in the way of public amenities.
I first went to Menorca when DC were born as it was a shorter flight. I couldn't get over the beautiful promenades, parks, town squares etc. The Spanish invest in their tourist areas, both villages and towns and the Greeks don't.

Other than that you will get nice food and beaches at both.
Cala n Bosch in Menorca was perfect when my DC were 10 /8.

Please
or

tobee · 16/06/2022 15:16

Cala n Bosch is great - love the marina.
Cala en Porter also nice; near airport

Please
or

weebarra · 16/06/2022 15:33

We've gone to Northern Mallorca for years and love it. We normally do self catering in Pollensa and go to the beaches in Puerto Pollensa. Both towns are lovely and child friendly, my DCs will be 8, 11 and 14 this year.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 16:02

Thanks, interesting! Yes the DC might prefer somewhere with a promenade or a town square now they are a bit older - somewhere with more going on than the very sleepy Greek places we usually go to.

Do you tend to meet other families on the beach (or elsewhere) as that’s something they also would like and Greece hasn’t really given us?

OP posts:
Please
or

CeeJay81 · 16/06/2022 16:07

Cala galdana, cala n bosch, punta prima. To be honest whereever you stay if you rent a car you could see much of the island, including both citaduilla and Mahon. These are both lovely towns with pretty harbours.

Please
or

sorryiasked · 16/06/2022 16:07

The only thing that I would say is that it's a lot more sticky and humid in balearics unlike Greece which is a dry heat.
We've been to menorca and ibiza but reverted to Greece (and Croatia which was great)

Please
or

TomAllenWife · 16/06/2022 16:10

I can tell you Cala n Bosch has declined massively post pandemic
Used to go there when the dcs were younger
Now lots of it is boarded up, shops have closed and it seems very run down

I used to love Cala D'or, hope it's as I remember. Beautiful marina, great beach, lots of places to eat

I'm not a massive fan of Greek islands, I like to put my toilet roll in the bloody toilet!
It's 2022 fgs

Please
or

OddsandSods · 16/06/2022 16:16

Mallorca is very similar to Greece in parts. Try Valldemossa, Soller, Deia or if you prefer busier Pollenca.

Please
or

Hollyhead · 16/06/2022 16:20

Shamelessly placemarking as we’re in this dilemma too. In terms of making friends we’ve found resort hotels a good place to faciliate this, they wouldn’t be our first choice if travelling alone but it really helps when they see the same children in the pool each day.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 16:30

Ooh, where did you go in Croatia @sorryiasked ? That could be a
good alternative too

Humidity is a bit off putting I must say - does that mean lots of mozzies too? We generally don’t find we get too many in Greece due to the breeze. Maybe going in May half term would be a better bet re stickiness?

That’s sad about Cala n Bosch TomAllen, I hope it recovers.

I don’t mind the Greek loo roll thing and rusticness at all, but then I remember Greek islands in the 1980s when quite a lot of the loos were squatters! So it seems positively luxe these days Grin However I think the DC might prefer the more developed-ness of the Balearics as there is more going on.

OP posts:
Please
or

Grissini50 · 16/06/2022 16:33

We too are trying Menorca this year for the first time; normally prefer the Greek Islands (and where we stay have been able to flush loo paper!) We have found staying in a small hotel helps with DD making friends - as PP says, seeing the same children at the pool every day. I couldn't do a large AI place as that is just not me but this is the best compromise between what we would like/ used to do (self-catering) and what she enjoys.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 16:33

@Hollyhead yes we are in a hotel in Greece this year (not our usual) just so the DC can meet others. May I ask if there are any particular resort hotels you would recommend?

OP posts:
Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 16:35

Also to @Grissini50, any small hotel recommendations very welcome! I am not keen on the large AI places either so would love to find a happy medium.

OP posts:
Please
or

xalo · 16/06/2022 16:44

Menorca is absolutely fantastic for children. Easy to meet others and play on the beach and hotel pool. And better still the Spanish evenings where all the children hang out with parents in restaurants and miraculously manage to remain civilised!

Please
or

Grissini50 · 16/06/2022 16:46

@minipie We really like the Ammos Hotel in Crete

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 16:55

Oh I’ve seen the Ammos online, it does look nice! Thanks

Looks like need to see if I can find the equivalent in Menorca

OP posts:
Please
or

sorryiasked · 16/06/2022 16:58

@minipie we stayed quite near Pula which wasn't ideal for beaches but we had a great time. Amiptheatre in pula is amazing, water park north of pula was fab (pre book online to bypass queue!), and we did kayaking down a beautiful river.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 17:03

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hollipolly · 16/06/2022 17:03

Im in Greece now and I think it's hotter than Spain and its only June! There's a breeze here too.

Staying in Crete at Stella Villiage there's the Palace next door that is posher and they have Stella Island adults only.

I like the boat system a lot better in Spain and from what I've seen nicer beaches.

Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 17:12

Yes Crete isn’t the best island for beaches IME, the beaches are nice but not stunning. It’s got a lot of other stuff to see and do though, especially if you have a car.

Looking at weather right now the Balearics look a lot hotter than Crete! But I think there is an unusual heatwave there at the moment.

Hope you enjoy your stay Hollipolly

OP posts:
Please
or

minipie · 16/06/2022 17:13

What’s the boat system in Balearics… are there water taxis between the beaches?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?