Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Guaranteed sun in August but not roasting hot

29 replies

MegBusset · 08/06/2022 21:40

Where in Europe is good for (almost) guaranteed sun in July / August - ie good enough to lounge by the pool weather - but not likely to get horrible heatwave?

Daily temps of 22-25 would be just perfect!

OP posts:
Please
or

MakingNBaking · 08/06/2022 21:53

Madeira?

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 09/06/2022 04:17

Provence

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 09/06/2022 07:42

French Atlantic coast
Spanish Atlantic coast, we went to Cadiz one year and while it was high twenties the breeze made it feel nice.
German or Austrian Lakes (not 100% sun guaranteed though)
Italian Lakes
Friends went to Tenerife one Summer and said it was also quite nice as you have the winds cooling the heat down. Not sure if that's always the case.

I doubt you get 100% sun and not higher than mid-twenties anywhere in high Summer.

Southern France (Provence, med) is hot as hell.

Please
or

MegBusset · 09/06/2022 08:29

Yeah I was wondering about Vendee.

Friend went to Italian Lakes a few years ago and got caught in 40+ heatwave, I mean NOPE

Harder to avoid crazy weather anywhere these days, I guess 😞

OP posts:
Please
or

MakingNBaking · 09/06/2022 09:10

Channel Islands might be nice, minimum fuss, especially the way things are at the mo
Madeira is pretty steady although there was a heatwave about 5 years ago resulting in forest fires. And once I was there in February and there was a snow storm up in the mountains. Everyone was amazed!

Please
or

myrtilles · 11/06/2022 23:15

Not Provence..that is very hot in August.
The French Alps/lakes or western France.
The Algarve would probably be more late 20s but with a breeze and cool sea.

Please
or

MargotMoon · 11/06/2022 23:40

The Algarve was 30 degrees plus the week I went there three years ago in August

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 12/06/2022 07:18

The coast of Provence doesn’t usually go above 30. This is what’s it’s like in Nice at the moment.
The Vendee/Atlantic coast, on the other hand, can certainly see temperatures above 30. In fact, they’re experiencing that now in St Gilles.

Please
or

MegBusset · 12/06/2022 13:44

Thanks all. Anything 28+ is going to be pretty unpleasant for us (I know you can get these temps pretty much anywhere in Europe these days!)

I wonder about Brittany, I believe they have similar weather to southern England so higher risk of rain but less likely to be scorchio.

OP posts:
Please
or

CurlyhairedAssassin · 12/06/2022 14:39

Fivemoreminutes1 · 09/06/2022 04:17

Provence

God, no! Not in August, you will melt.

Please
or

TheLadyDIdGood · 12/06/2022 14:41

Northern Europe, Denmark, Sweden, Poland and Holland etc.

Please
or

CurlyhairedAssassin · 12/06/2022 14:43

Fivemoreminutes1 · 12/06/2022 07:18

The coast of Provence doesn’t usually go above 30. This is what’s it’s like in Nice at the moment.
The Vendee/Atlantic coast, on the other hand, can certainly see temperatures above 30. In fact, they’re experiencing that now in St Gilles.

"At the moment" is June. In August it will be a few degrees hotter. OP doesn't want above 25. Near the coast in Provence can be fairly humid. You might be better somewhere with a drier heat, or with a good breeze, OP.

Please
or

MissBPotter · 12/06/2022 14:49

unlikely to get above 28 in the canaries in august. i think that’s your best bet as Northern Europe is quite unpredictable. Having said that Norway was beautiful in July/august when I went, never too hot but sunny and warm. Colder in the mountainous resorts.

I’ve been to Brittany in august and it was in the 30s at the beginning of the week and raining and around 17 by the end! It’s similar to our weather. Maybe the Sicily isles, they apparently have a microclimate ….

Please
or

HydraWater · 12/06/2022 14:53

Galicia in Northern Spain. Ab Fab and much much cooler than the rest of Spain especially along the coast, also further East, Santander, Donostia (San Sebastian), Bilbao. Great beaches, amazing food, and wonderful GREEN scenery.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 12/06/2022 14:56

We went to the Western end if the French Med/ Northern Spain a few years ago and I was cold so that might work. No rain. The sea was so cold at one point that there were warning signs!

Alps and lovely but if it rains, it's torrential.

Britanny is definitely not normally lounge by pool holiday.

The Vendee might work.

Please
or

Peaceatdawn · 12/06/2022 15:04

Fuerteventura was that sort of temperature in July when I went, needed a cardi in the evening. Everywhere else in Europe I've always got a heatwave with temperatures around 35-40 in August, including Poland! . Am playing it safe and going away in September this year.

Please
or

CurlyhairedAssassin · 12/06/2022 15:06

I'd probably say Canaries. I like it quite hot but not so that you're constantly sweating and having to retreat inside. And I HAVE to be able to sleep at night comfortably. Tenerife suited me.

Please
or

CurlyhairedAssassin · 12/06/2022 15:14

The hottest I've ever been was in the Dordogne in August, in an upstairs bedroom in a gite. It's quite a dry heat there, lower humidity levels means the heat feels nice. But it was so much hotter than normal at night I thought I would melt. Day time temps got to 35 degrees and it didn't cool down that much overnight. There was no air conditioning in the gite, as mostly it doesn't need it. I remember lying awake for hours in front of a fan wondering how the people in caravans in the campsites nearby were managing. But then the next week it cooled right down and there was rain the day we left.

You have to be careful as lots of places can have heatwaves. Somewhere with a steady temp is much better.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 12/06/2022 17:29

@MegBusset
Most people don’t seem to have heard of global warming. Everywhere is bloody hot! In Southern Europe anyway.

You can look at Scandinavian countries and Iceland! We are off to Alaska but even Anchorage was 23 degrees recently. I would look at Nova Scotia or north of Boston. Seattle and Pacific west coast. Brazil would be ok!

Please
or

WhatsInAMolatovMocktail · 12/06/2022 18:10

Tenerife would be perfect. Some parts are breezy and if you hire a car, the scenery is amazing.

Please
or

CottonSock · 12/06/2022 18:11

We found in in bilbao and San Sebastian. Tiny bit of rain, mostly perfect.

Please
or

CottonSock · 12/06/2022 18:14

BTW I've been to Berlin and Kracow in June (and turkey) and all hit almost 40 degrees C! Maybe it cools down by August, but def avoid Central Europe.

Please
or

Crikeyalmighty · 12/06/2022 18:17

We've just come back from living in Denmark and it was around 23 to 26 degrees and sunny last year when it was nice - however it's not guaranteed and like the Uk does get some rain and thunder in August- on the whole though it seemed sunnier and rain tended to be for a few hours, not all day. I don't think anywhere totally fits your criteria- canaries or Madeira possibly the closest

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 12/06/2022 19:50

Sea breezes might keep temps down a bit. None available in Central Europe. The Canary Islands average around 28 Degrees in August.

Beittany can be excellent. Sea breeze and little rain. It’s not guaranteed but northern France can be sunny too. If it’s hot here, it’s usually hot there though.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 12/06/2022 19:51

44 degrees in Spain already!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?