Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Safest Caribbean island for baby and toddler

26 replies

DisneyBaby · 08/06/2022 13:12

Looking to book a holiday to the Caribbean in October/November for 10-14 nights. Our daughters will be 2.5 years old and 6 months old.

I'm wondering which island would be best to book considering safety and also healthcare quality should either of them be poorly whilst we're there...

Our travel options seem to be Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Antigua, St Lucia and Cuba, possibly Aruba. Travelling from London.

We would stay in the resort mostly, venturing out on 3/4 excursions perhaps.

Anyone been to multiple islands or have a knowledge of the Caribbean?
Also any hotel recommendations would be much appreciated, we like evening entertainment and lots to do in the day around the hotel but not into kids club (we don't want to leave our daughters without us at any point).

OP posts:
Please
or

discoohno · 08/06/2022 14:10

Barbados an option?

Please
or

discoohno · 08/06/2022 14:12

Safe and good healthcare as far as I know. No point going to Cuba and staying in resort I don’t think. Food is limited too.

What time of year?

Please
or

discoohno · 08/06/2022 14:13

Sorry I missed the first paragraph! Barbados would be my choice. Safe, short flight. Good healthcare. Gorgeous beaches. Lots to do outwith resorts too.

Please
or

Rosiestraws · 08/06/2022 14:14

Agree that Barbados is a better option than those listed - you can easily communicate as they all speak English and they private clinics you pay for etc if needed/better standard of medical care. (Partner needed to visit one on a trip there before). It is also the sort of place where you can travel safely outside your resort, eat out at restaurants etc which is not the case (or at least much less so) with Dom Rep, Jamaica, Antigua, St Lucia.

Cuba, food isn't great - although I last visited in 2016 and may have improved. They often run out of food on the menu so lots is missing and not great quality outside of the 5 star hotels in Cuba. Varadero all inc resorts are not the same standards as other caribbean islands also.

I have not been to Aruba so cannot comment, except I am aware it is expensive. Perhaps a bit more Americanised so the best of your list I expect if Barbados not an option

Please
or

HappyHappyHermit · 08/06/2022 14:26

The Cayman Islands are lovely! You can go basically direct, the plane lands for a bit in Nassau, but you don't have to get off or get your luggage etc. It's actually a nice break from the flying and you tend to have plenty of space to yourself for the last leg of the journey. When we went I used that time to get us all changed into our Summer clothes. If you go, Luca does the most amazing brunch!

Please
or

Reallyreallyborednow · 08/06/2022 14:28

Bermuda? Very british if you want familiarity with healthcare etc. same for British virgin Islands and US VI.

Please
or

TottersBlankly · 08/06/2022 14:41

I do wonder if you’ve thought at all about how your question reads, OP. The residents of Caribbean countries have children too, you know?

And some of those residents might be on MN.

Please
or

Sailingovertheedge · 08/06/2022 14:47

Totters- so what? All countries of the world have children in them. Doesn’t make them all equally as safe. OP has the right to ask which is the safest. Let’s not offend anyone eh?!?…

Please
or

BIWI · 08/06/2022 16:40

Definitely Barbados.

Specifically I'd recommend Turtle Beach hotel, on the South Coast. It's an AI hotel, with a great kids' club, and not too big.

Please
or

PronounssheRa · 08/06/2022 16:46

October is still hurricane season, so islands which are not central in the hurricane belt would be my starter.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 08/06/2022 16:46

Barbados by far has the best healthcare. Cuba's isn't bad, but the hotels are a bit meh as is the food.

Please
or

Hollipolly · 08/06/2022 16:47

Vote for Jamaica if its your time abroad I think it may bethe most popular I have done 3 family holidays in JA.

I did Punta Cana in DR stayed next door to the Royalton at Grand memories. It was paradise!! I travelled sole for 2 weeks with DS
And we did a boat trip and a buggy trip too.

Barbados and other islands are on my bucket list also they are pricey though.

Please
or

Staynow · 08/06/2022 16:49

I took my son to the Cayman Islands (he was a bit older though), very safe, we stayed in an Airbnb and wandered around, caught the minibuses up and down the coast road, did some excursions, it was fantastic and so easy.

Please
or

Simonjt · 08/06/2022 16:51

Reallyreallyborednow · 08/06/2022 14:28

Bermuda? Very british if you want familiarity with healthcare etc. same for British virgin Islands and US VI.

Although not in the caribbean, very very expensive when you’re there as well.

Please
or

Ilikewinter · 08/06/2022 16:53

Barbados or Aruba, i loved Aruba and its outside of the hurricane belt, but its more Americanised.

Please
or

Twizbe · 08/06/2022 16:54

I was going to say Grand Cayman as well. We went to a wedding there a few years ago (have friends who live there)

Very safe place and I can tell you from experience the health care is good. The ambulance crews are friendly (even if they do detour to show you their house) the nurses all seemed to be Scottish and the hospital was very clean and efficient.

Please
or

asparalite · 08/06/2022 16:57

Barbados doesn't have many big all inclusive resorts if that's what you're looking for, October not the best time of year to go as still hurricane season,November better.

Please
or

Strokethefurrywall · 08/06/2022 17:10

I live in Grand Cayman - yes the island is beautiful, fabulous beaches, great restaurants. But eye wateringly expensive, and if you're staying at The Ritz/Kimpton it will be very expensive if you don't plan to leave that often.

Healthcare in Jamaica is good and there are all inclusive resorts (there aren't any here in Cayman), the same in Dom Rep.

I wouldn't go back to Cuba because the food was shite frankly.

Please
or

Strokethefurrywall · 08/06/2022 17:12

Also Oct/Nov are prime hurricane months. The western Caribbean (where Cayman/Jamaica are), tend to have fewer threats than the Grenadines, Barbados, BVI as they're further west.

Please
or

BIWI · 08/06/2022 17:23

Hurricanes tend to pass over to the North of Barbados, so generally they're less often affected/affected as much.

We used to go in October half term, and usually would only ever have a short rain fall and then the sun would come out again.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 08/06/2022 17:24

Barbados is the most developed of the islands I’ve visited but the AI was more formal when we visited. Have also done Antigua and St Lucia when kids were small. Avoid October, it’s the most likely month for hurricanes, November is more settled, particularly end of November. Or consider Indian Ocean for better weather in October and a similar type of holiday. Mauritius is great for families.

Please
or

DisneyBaby · 08/06/2022 18:19

discoohno · 08/06/2022 14:10

Barbados an option?

Yes! Forgot to add that one in there!

OP posts:
Please
or

DisneyBaby · 09/06/2022 07:50

Ok Barbados is looking quite a bit dearer...

What would be the second choice after Barbados???

OP posts:
Please
or

Bellesboy1218 · 10/06/2022 16:48

Antigua is beautiful. My family are from there. 365 beaches and plenty to do and see. Very safe.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?