Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Billund Denmark...how much to budget?

39 replies

2anddone · 23/05/2022 11:08

Hi
I have just booked a short (3 night) break in Billund staying at Lalandia for the end of August to celebrate DS GCSE results. Planning on visiting Legoland and the labour house and Billund itself.
I keep reading that Billund/Denmark is expensive for food. How much would you suggest o budget per day? Will be myself and ds 16 and dd 13. Planning on taking breakfast food with us and there is a kitchen in the place we are staying but don't necessarily want to cook every meal!

Also I know dc might be considered 'too old' for Legoland but ds has just based his whole photography gcse around lego and it's on his bucket list to go!!

OP posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 24/05/2022 15:00

I went (for work, long story) a few years ago and while it's expensive, it's not scary expensive like Norway or Switzerland.

There's some prices here:

www.lalandia.dk/en/billund/eat

Obviously you'll have to convert to £s but I think those prices are around £20-25 for a meal, unless the exchange rate has shifted massively.

I never think of '£ per day' because I just try to get the best value, eg one meal out a day, take food if you can, make your own sandwiches, buy drinks, snacks, basics like eggs in the supermarket, that sort of thing and pay for everything using a card that doesn't charge for exchange. I do remember that they charged extra for credit cards, so in case they still do, despite it being illegal under EU law, make sure you have a good debit card (look on MSE if you need help with this) and put a load of money on there.

Remember that there's 3 people going who are quite capable of preparing food and something like supermarket pizza is a good way of having dinner that most people enjoy, on a budget without having to make any effort to cook.

Or look into Smorgasboard and make those.

Please
or

2anddone · 24/05/2022 17:16

Thank you @BarbaraofSeville I really appreciate sure your reply.
That's very interesting about the charge to use credit cards, I usually use a fair fx card or Revolut abroad so hopefully they will be classed the same as a debit card.
Thank you for the link I had found that once I posted and we will definitely eat a couple of meals on site.
Dc are great in the kitchen and often cook for me so trying to give us all a bit of a break from cooking. Think I will take breakfast items, then use the onsite grocery store for fresh bread etc and that way will only need to buy one meal a day.
Looking forward to actually getting back on a plane!

OP posts:
Please
or

Favouritefruits · 16/08/2022 09:38

Hi, have you been yet? I’m looking at lalandia for next year, was it worth it?

Please
or

2anddone · 17/08/2022 20:03

Not yet @Favouritefruits go on 31st August but will report back Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

Favouritefruits · 18/08/2022 19:33

I’ll be waiting for your verdict! Have a fab time!

Please
or

newstart1234 · 18/08/2022 19:49

Candy floss/ice cream/coffee in legoland is around £5 each. crap hot dog - £3. Burger and chips type thing - £9 maybe. Not surprisingly people overwhelmingly take their own food. There are a lot of picnic areas and lunchboxes are the norm. Eating out is not the done thing, so in legoland or billund the choice is extremely limited. For food, I'd recommend doing as the locals do. Get a decent rye bread, pile it with butter and toppings (you can get prepared ones at the supermarket called Superbrugsen). This is the closest thing you could get to easy holiday food in denmark. It's also really tasty and energising.

Please
or

Squirrelonwheels · 26/08/2022 18:47

Hope you have a good trip - we’re just back so thought I’d offer some tips. As a pp says, there is a supermarket called SuperBugsen in billund which I’d recommend over the one in lalandia as it’s cheaper (though not cheap!) and with a decent selection of food including pre-prepared stuff which is nice. We didn’t eat out apart from at MiniChef in Lego House which I would hugely recommend if you can afford it (you have to book it in advance - we booked a week in advance and still only got 2pm). We took packed lunch into legoland which worked well - you can also fill up water bottles in there so don’t worry about buying their refillable drinks if you don’t want to.

Please
or

2anddone · 26/08/2022 20:54

Thank you so much @Squirrelonwheels we have booked mini chef and can't wait to visit it looks fab.
Is the supermarket you mentioned in walking distance to Lalandia? We won't have a car but happy to walk...so long as it's safe.
Have now told ds where we are going after his gcse results Thursday he is so excited bless him, can't wait to get there!

OP posts:
Please
or

Squirrelonwheels · 26/08/2022 21:02

We stayed outside of billund so did have a hire car so I’m not sure if you could walk to the supermarket - it would be safe as lots of paths everywhere but not sure of distance -
about a mile probably, maybe slightly further? There is also a bakery in billund centre (2 mins walk from Lego house) that does good pastries and also decent looking filled sandwiches.
i’m sure you’ll have a great time - we especially loved Lego House so glad you’ve booked there. It sounds like a great results treat 😃

Please
or

Havanananana · 28/08/2022 12:19

We've also been to Billund recently. Food prices are around 10% more than in England. As pp say, taking a packed lunch to Legoland and the Lego House is the norm and there are tables available everywhere - but don't miss the MiniChef in the Lego House!

I suspect that children aged 13 and 16 will find the Lego House far more interesting than Legoland. When we visited, it was the parents rather than the small children who had to be dragged out of the Lego House at closing time as they were so absorbed in the various activities. The "build-a-fish" aquarium is a hoot.

@2anddone You mention "taking breakfast stuff" to Billund. Remember that if arriving from the UK you cannot take butter, cooked meat, fruit or cheese into the EU. Everything that you need will be available in SuperBrugsen or Netto, but as these are about a 15 minutes walk away in the centre of the town, you might just as well use the on-site supermarket (unless you have a car).

Please
or

2anddone · 30/08/2022 16:31

Hi all
Arrived today, so far Lalandia seems amazing, prices at the supermarket there doesn't feel too crazy. Been to the water park today which was lovely...though dd (13) was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of nakedness in the changing room!
Here til Friday going to Legoland tomorrow and Lego house (including mini chef) Thursday any questions just ask

OP posts:
Please
or

Favouritefruits · 30/08/2022 20:07

very excited for your updates! I’m definitely going to book for 2023 so I’m excited to hear everything!

Please
or

Favouritefruits · 30/08/2022 20:08

One question, was the water park cold? Glad it’s not too expensive as I love eating out on holiday.

Please
or

2anddone · 30/08/2022 20:21

@Favouritefruits the water park was lovely and warm, some bits were colder than others but not uncomfortably so. The slides are fast!!! I can feel a bruise coming from the rapids. Lots of lifeguards though and felt really safe.
We got the bus from the airport it was 60 Krone for 2 adults 1 child, bus ride was only about 10 minutes to lalandia, the roads to cross are big but very quiet and have traffic controls to cross by.
Went to the all you can eat Mexican tonight in Lalandia, was very impressed as they charged me for 1 adult, 2 children even though ds is 16 it came to £52 once converted and that included 3 drinks.
We had a walk over to Legoland this evening to see where to go tomorrow and ended up exploring the Legoland hotel, I didn't like that we could walk round the whole thing including bedroom corridors without being questioned, it put me off staying there to be honest...we were only walking the bedroom corridors as was following the signs to the Lego castle hotel!

OP posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 30/08/2022 20:40

Glad you're enjoying it. Yes, the changing rooms in Lalandia are a bit of a culture shock aren't they?

When I went there, I struggled to open or lock my locker and a (presumably Danish) woman started to help me and we were both fiddling with my locker for a bit while we were both completely naked.

I think the Danes are generally a lot more trusting and less suspicious of strangers than in the UK, as evidenced by all the bikes abandoned here, there and everywhere, so they probably won't have seen the need for security in the bedroom corridors in the hotel. In the waterpark, another Danish woman asked me to take her primary age DD on one of the slides with me as she wanted to feed and change her baby. Shock

Please
or

2anddone · 30/08/2022 21:40

I must admit I was surprised at people being allowed to use their phones to take photos in the aquadrome. Also I totally agree people seem extremely trusting here and very friendly so far!

OP posts:
Please
or

Favouritefruits · 31/08/2022 08:55

That sounds great! I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself. I’m not really bothered about nakedness so I’ll probably be ok. I hope you enjoy Legoland today and the queues aren’t too long 😬 are the lodges at Lalandia nice, they look very small in the pictures and do you really need to buy your own bedding?

thank you so much for your updates, I’m really enjoying reading them.

Please
or

2anddone · 31/08/2022 18:03

Legoland today was amazing! EVERY ride a complete walk on. Food not really that much different to Alton Towers/uk theme park prices. 2 bottles of water for about £4.50 so thought that wasn't completely ridiculous!

We are staying in a Classic plus 4 and it's a really good size we had to buy bedding packs which include a pillow case, bottom sheet, duvet cover and 2 towels in each (they were 99 krone) each. However you could buy just the amount you needed and not how many were in the room (so we only bought 3). Slightly nervous about the 500krone deposit that was put on my card for electric/hot water/heating we have to pay as we leave and they will either charge more or we pay extra. There is a dishwasher, washing machine etc but we aren't using those....plus the tv is all in danish so no point putting that on either!
Here are some room photos

OP posts:
Please
or

Havanananana · 31/08/2022 18:31

My experience of the Danish Legoland is that as long as you avoid mid-July to mid-August then the park is nowhere near as busy as Windsor (or any typical UK attraction). Rides are just walk-up, or maybe wait for 5-10 minutes max.

Not that we've done it - we always go to Denmark for a long weekend or a fortnight's holiday - but it is actually possible to do the Danish Legoland in a day from the UK. Ryanair from Stansted lands at about 9.30, then a full day in Legoland before a return flight at about 22.00.

Please
or

2anddone · 31/08/2022 18:55

@Havanananana that's exactly what my son (16) said to me today that in theory we could come back for just the day of the flight prices were good enough!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Havanananana · 31/08/2022 19:00

Just wait until he sees the Lego House - then he'll definitely want a day trip another time. If he's done his photography project on Lego then he'll be keen to get into the Lego Animation Studio area where he can do his own animations and download them later. Be sure to keep the armband and code on the card from the "make your own blocks" machine as you'll need these to access the various downloads from your visit.

Please
or

2anddone · 31/08/2022 20:24

@Havanananana thanks for the tips we go there tomorrow...can't wait. He is currently googling Lego apprenticeships!!

OP posts:
Please
or

2anddone · 01/09/2022 17:07

Lego house was amazing as was the mini chef restaurant!! We were there from open to close and had a really lovely day. Also found a couple of supermarkets very close by and also a really lovely bakery across the road which was also very cheap compared to legoland and lalandia!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Favouritefruits · 01/09/2022 21:22

Wow! It looks so good, the mini chef restaurant looks fun, was the food nice or a bit gimmicky? The lodge looks great, like a smaller centre parks lodge. I don’t mind having to pay for bedding but the fuel is a bit odd.

Please
or

Favouritefruits · 01/09/2022 21:23

Thank you for the pictures! I love reading you posts everyday 😁

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?