Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cost of all Includive gone right up!

53 replies

Remmy123 · 27/04/2022 11:25

I am looking for a holiday for a family of five, all inclusive preferably Turkey.

i cannot believe how much the prices have gone up!

im wondering whether to get a last minute deal instead to get a bargain otherwise we aren't going anywhere!

OP posts:
Please
or

ListenLinda · 27/04/2022 11:37

How much have they gone up?
Who are you looking at?

we looked over the weekend at our holiday to Turkey to see how much jet2 had increased the prices and it wasn’t by too much.

whats your budget and dates?

Please
or

Remmy123 · 27/04/2022 14:27

Summer holidays so July or August and budget is usually around 4,600 but coming up as over 5k 😢

OP posts:
Please
or

DenholmElliot · 27/04/2022 14:36

That amounts to an increase of roughly 10% which sounds about right to be honest, assuming that the last time you looked at prices was in 2019, before the lockdown.

I wouldn't bank on waiting for a last minute cheaper break either. A lot of people have got money saved up by not having holidays in the pandemic and are happy to pay over and above just to finally get away for a break in the sun.

Please
or

Norush4 · 28/04/2022 21:18

Who have you looked at booking with OP? Prices do drop keep watching.

Please
or

Baggal1983 · 28/04/2022 21:22

Yes - I have noticed the same (last December). I think companies want to recover as much as they can and people have saved up as we all could not go away for such a long time. I was looking at Portugal for 2 weeks half board (two adults - one child) and it was over £8K. Haven't booked it as that's way too much for that destination, despite the hotel looking nice.

Please
or

Hophop26 · 29/04/2022 09:15

I was shocked at how much all inclusive prices where changing whilst I was looking - we’ve ended up with all inclusive in Mexico for far better price than Europe and has the plus if feels better value as long haul

Please
or

ProseccoStorm · 29/04/2022 09:22

Our 2021 £5k holiday was £6.5k in 2022

Our £5.5k 2019 holiday was quoted at £8.5k in 2022 (exact same holiday) We didn't book.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 29/04/2022 13:38

Why not go self catering? That keeps costs down. Plus airfares in holiday times are sky high!

Please
or

Remmy123 · 29/04/2022 18:27

I'm looking at Love Holidays .. one has gone down by £600 they keep changing!!

self catering is a no from me as I am the only cook in My house

OP posts:
Please
or

TizerorFizz · 30/04/2022 00:00

Well you need to start getting others to help. I quite like shopping for food on holiday. Trying new things.

Please
or

Doodar · 30/04/2022 00:14

must be the cost of flights, the Turkish lira has tanked, its the lowest its been for ages.

Please
or

Notsure94 · 30/04/2022 00:16

I'm another self catering convert. You get a few bits in but then just eat out at the local tavernas and cafes instead. I'm never stood whipping up a spag bol in my bikini! All inclusive is a false economy and standing in massive queues, having to haul out of bed for brekkie at designated time and wearing scratchy wristbands isnt much fun and not worth the money in my opinion. I've just booked peak August Greece SC with not completely insane flight times, transfers and luggage for 550 per person via jet2. There were plenty of deals when I looked.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 30/04/2022 00:17

Remmy123 · 27/04/2022 14:27

Summer holidays so July or August and budget is usually around 4,600 but coming up as over 5k 😢

That's not a massive increase considering how inflation is hitting around the world. I was expecting you to say your holiday cost had doubled

Please
or

Puplover · 30/04/2022 00:17

"Self catering is a no from me as I am the only cook in my house."

We always go self catering. We don't cook. We just like to try different restaurants and don't want to have to come back to the hotel to eat.

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 30/04/2022 00:24

The entire travel industry has been on its knees for 2 years, hundreds of businesses (including big players) haven't survived and thousands more have only just come through by the skin of their teeth and with significant debts.

There's never been higher demand for holidays than right now. Of course they're making hay while the sun shines!!

When demand tails off in the next couple of years and things settle down they'll level off again as they get back to having to attract custom rather than being overwhelmed by it.

Please
or

WhatTheWhoTheWhatThe · 30/04/2022 00:32

We always go self catering but never actually cook. Just find local restaurants and cafes.

Please
or

WhatsitWiggle · 30/04/2022 00:44

Costs of food and drink has increased massively, hotels are having to pass this on. Most held prices in 2020 and 2021 but just can't absorb the rises so base rates are at least 5% if not 10% higher on food supplements. Add the increase in aviation fuel for flights. And demand for overseas holidays is high whilst companies are struggling to recruit staff to operate at 100% (cabin crew, pilots, engineers, baggage handlers) so supply is reduced, no need to offer discounts.

Please
or

Imsittinginthekitchensink · 30/04/2022 00:45

When DD was younger I did AI to save paying for the "I want a... drink/ice-cream/snack". Now she's older I prefer bed and breakfast over self catering. Breakfast is the meal I find most difficult on holiday to do myself, so I pay for that then go where we fancy for dinner.

Please
or

Badlifeday · 30/04/2022 17:41

my Preference for AI/half board is having the dc wander around a buffet - they can always pick something up - which is a bit harder in restaurants. Mind you they are super fussy.

Please
or

hamdden12 · 30/04/2022 17:51

Most airlines use a dynamic pricing model so the more you keep looking, the more you will alter the price.

Please
or

breakdown19 · 30/04/2022 17:55

Notsure94 · 30/04/2022 00:16

I'm another self catering convert. You get a few bits in but then just eat out at the local tavernas and cafes instead. I'm never stood whipping up a spag bol in my bikini! All inclusive is a false economy and standing in massive queues, having to haul out of bed for brekkie at designated time and wearing scratchy wristbands isnt much fun and not worth the money in my opinion. I've just booked peak August Greece SC with not completely insane flight times, transfers and luggage for 550 per person via jet2. There were plenty of deals when I looked.

Who did you book with please?

Please
or

Workyticket · 30/04/2022 17:55

We booked back in November. 3 weeks in Turkey AI in July.

Just checked and it's gone up by £1005

Please
or

Workyticket · 30/04/2022 17:58

I always book via Jet2 as then there's no baggage etc to add in.

Please
or

BunsyGirl · 30/04/2022 18:36

We always go bed and breakfast. My DCs are not early risers so we have a late breakfast that fills us up for the day, a snack by the pool during the day and then go out for an evening meal. I don’t find all inclusive good value for us as we don’t eat three full meals a day and DH and I don’t drink that much.

Please
or

Figgygal · 30/04/2022 18:39

Ive seen our turkey AI £1900 more than what weve paid its crazy

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?