Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long haul trip with young teens next summer - help

27 replies

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 16:26

Looking for inspiration please! We want to go away for 2/3 weeks max, not to Europe. Two kids, 12 and 13. Somewhere warm but not hot. Mix of adventure/culture and relaxing. We’ve thought about Canadian Rockies and Vancouver Island or Bali and the Gili Islands - completely different I know but I’ve been to both pre kids and would love to take them. Up for travelling round but finishing off with a few days of chilling at least.

Any ideas? A lot of places are ruled out by the weather (e.g. South Africa).

OP posts:
Please
or

toots111 · 19/04/2022 16:28

Costa Rica is amazing, or else east Canada - Toronto and then the lakes. or Florida keys are gorgeous. Or California - redwoods, Yosemite, Wine country, San Francisco and then down to south California for the beach.

Please
or

Nix32 · 19/04/2022 16:33

The weather in South Africa during our summer is lovely - warm enough for the beach but not too hot. Been 3 times and the weather's never been a problem.

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 16:37

@toots111 I’ve been to all those places pre kids apart from Florida and they are all great ideas! Oh god, actually adding to the list now! I don’t know anything about the Florida Keys - any recommendations where to start? Can you stay in one place as a base or is the area too big?

OP posts:
Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 16:37

@Nix32 oh really? I’ve been misinformed then! Any recommendations for where to go?

OP posts:
Please
or

JurasicPerks · 19/04/2022 16:38

I'd time a holiday to fit with the weather you want to:
Southern Africa (not necessarily South Africa)
Costa Rica
Mexico (inland, not the resorts)
Sri Lanka
S.E Asia tour (but maybe not until covid has calmed down).

Weve also had brilliant holidays in Australia (but lived closer in those days, so it was "only" onex14 hr flight), Oman and Japan.

Please
or

JurasicPerks · 19/04/2022 16:38

Oops, sorry, just read your full title, and seen you mention next summer. Some of my ideas are out!

Please
or

Rainbowqueeen · 19/04/2022 16:41

Japan
Vietnam

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 16:50

Love South East Asia but the weather in July is putting me off a bit.
For some reason Japan has never appealed.
Oman is definitely on the list but I think July is a bad month weather wise (can’t remember why but I’m sure I read it!).

Off to research all your suggestions. This thread is making me excited!

OP posts:
Please
or

JurasicPerks · 19/04/2022 16:58

Yeah, Oman is blistering in July. Easter (or Christmas) holidays for that one.
Ditto SE Asia, and Japan. July isnt the time.
Does it have to be the sumner holidays?

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 17:01

@JurasicPerks Yes I think so. We both work in schools so it’s a good time to have a big trip away.

OP posts:
Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 17:03

That’s my ‘dilemma’. If it wasn’t in July I would have so many options that wouldn’t cost the earth - I’m really keen on western Canada but it’s so expensive.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mia85 · 19/04/2022 17:07

How about a self-drive in Namibia if you are interested in Southern Africa?

Please
or

Nix32 · 19/04/2022 17:38

Safari, no question! I've done Kenya and South African safaris without kids - hoping to take them next year.

Please
or

Mia85 · 19/04/2022 17:44

What is the rough budget?

Please
or

Mia85 · 19/04/2022 18:00

Please
or

Sortingfinances2 · 19/04/2022 18:26

Another teacher here - Sri Lanka, Borneo and Kenya have all been fab in UK summer hols.
Did 1st two independently with kids aged 8-15.
Kenya was with friends living there - I think harder to sort independently, probably better with a tour.

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 19/04/2022 18:34

@Mia85 that’s really helpful!
Will look at Borneo. I have about 50 tabs open right now. 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

Fedupofballs · 19/04/2022 22:59

We’re heading to Bali and Lombok with our 14 and 10 year old this summer (assuming we don’t test positive for covid, which has just stopped our Easter break!) The accommodation options are amazing for families and prices so cheap compared to Europe. Our plan is Ubud, Amed, Gili Trawangan, Rinjani Lodge, Selong Belanak, Uluwatu. We’ve got a mix of villas with private pools and hotels. Assuming we get there happy to report back!

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 20/04/2022 05:54

@Fedupofballs Did you organise it yourself or use an agent? Sounds incredible! Are you hiring a car?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fedupofballs · 20/04/2022 08:23

We’ve done it ourselves, using booking.com and Airbnb for accommodation (booking.com is absolutely great). Drivers are around £35 per day in Bali. I’m Lombok we’ve organised all the transfers to include sightseeing, the boat from Gili Air and a snorkelling trip in the secret Gilis for the day. Total cost is £140. the places we’re staying are - chapung sebali, villa Disana, Ponte villas, Rinjani lodge, mango lodge and Radisson Blu Uluwatu if you want to have a nosey! I’ve spent the last 2 years planning so happy to share the research!

Please
or

Undeuxtroisquatre · 20/04/2022 08:47

Oh thank you so much! @Fedupofballs I can’t wait to hear about it! I’ve been to Bali before and regretted not going to the Gilis. Have an amazing time!

OP posts:
Please
or

CarmenThePanda · 20/04/2022 08:59

Central Vietnam (wet season N &S). Hoi An and Hue . Culture (Hoi An old town, My Son Cham city, Hue citadel and tombs) boat and fishing ‘eco tours’, hiking in Bach Ma (day trip by taxi), cycle tours, Hai Van pass, lovely beaches. Such good food.

Please
or

Flatandhappy · 20/04/2022 13:45

DH and I are in Bali at the moment, it is very slowly opening up after COVID (but desperate for tourists). When our kids were younger they loved the Gilli Islands and Ubud, Fedupofballs’ itinerary sounds good. Avoid Kuta like the plague. Vietnam is a real favourite with well travelled Australian families, most people I know who have brought kids raved about the place.

Please
or

WalkingOnSonshine · 20/04/2022 13:52

I used to live in South Africa - with the exception of Cape Town, winter is really mild. I didn’t own a coat.

Head for Kruger rather than the Garden Route.

Please
or

Fedupofballs · 20/04/2022 14:56

@Flatandhappy Please share any recommendations of where to go/where to avoid. My husband loves waterfalls so would be interested to know whether you’ve been to any and how busy they are.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?