Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to holiday to please everyone?

26 replies

HappyNeedyHuman · 28/01/2022 13:15

Suggestions for a summer holiday with the following difficult customers please…

My Partner would like sun and a pool/beach and to do very little all day for a week.
My children (11 and 13) are at that funny age of not little kids needing entertainment 24/7 but would want something more adventurous and I think need something to do at least some of the time or part of each day.
I don’t like being too hot, but love the outdoors and a bit of culture and adventure, sitting still on a sun bed ALL day would bore me.

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

2catsand2kids · 28/01/2022 14:23

It depends a bit on your budget. You could look at places like Mark Warner or Club Med where there’s lots of activities for you/kids to do but also pools to relax by.

Please
or

Toomuchnow · 28/01/2022 14:37

A cruise! We’re going on MSC soon.

It’s not for old people. Great for families as pleases everyone. Great value too.

Please
or

Toomuchnow · 28/01/2022 14:40

^ good things about cruise is that you get off every day, see culture etc - We travel independently on local buses / trains etc. Never take ships tours. Relax on sea days by pool and in evenings.

Kids fully catered for in clubs and they will probably make lots of friends.

Everyone is happy!

We’re a professional, MC family and I’d never thought cruises would suit, I was a bit of a snob about them. The only one I would avoid are P&O, sailing from Southampton as a bit too ‘Brits aboard’ for my liking!

Please
or

wineosaurus4 · 28/01/2022 14:50

Definitely a cruise! We love Royal Caribbean, amazing for youngsters and adults alike.

Please
or

HappyNeedyHuman · 28/01/2022 15:28

I would be keen to go on a cruise so would kids I think, but Partner a littke nervous of water and worried he would suffer from travel sickness the whole time, not willing to try it Hmm

OP posts:
Please
or

BlowDryRat · 28/01/2022 15:32

Riviera Maya in Mexico. I keep singing its praises on here but honestly, you couldn't ask for a better mix of sun, sand, activities, history and culture. Perfect for your kids' ages.

Please
or

wineosaurus4 · 28/01/2022 15:40

@HappyNeedyHuman Cruise ships are so big these days he won't feel sea sick, I can't even see the drink in my glass move whilst on board!

Check out Oasis, Allure, Harmony & Symphony of the Seas Smile They call them cities at sea!

Please
or

backinthebox · 28/01/2022 15:56

Absolutely anywhere could fit those criteria! ‘Not too hot, not too cold, not too much sitting around but not too much activity (but some activity) and culture but not boring culture’ seems to be the mainstay of most of our family holidays. Places in recent years that have been a success with my kids that fit those criteria include:
St Lucia. We stayed on a chocolate farm and went down to the beach each day (it was a very covid-restricted holiday, so our accommodation choices were limited.) We also climbed the pitons, did a full day chocolate tasting and making session, hiked up to waterfalls in the jungle, and snorkelled. There would have been the options to scuba dive, sail, sunset cruises, zipwiring, or just sitting around if needed.
Turkey. We’ve been here twice, and love it. We spent a week on a filet one time, and stayed in a glamping pod on a beach the other. There are Lycian cities and ruins to look at, including some under the sea. We sea kayaked over one of them. There is also gorge-scrambling, tubing, paragliding (if you are brave!) sailing, and of course just sitting around.
Mexico. You’ve got zipwiring over the jungle, swimming in cenotes and caves, sailing, scuba, swimming with turtles, dolphins, whale sharks, there’s Mayan ruins, lost cities in the jungle and on cliff tops, it’s fabulous. Just a slight concern about security atm.
Jordan. Petra, biblical sites, the Dead Sea, scuba in the Red Sea, dune bashing, hiking, camel trekking and camping in Wadi Rum, Roman cities, crusader castles, and of course, sitting around and doing nothing if you so wish. Amazing place, my current favourite. We spent 10 days there last year and it was not long enough!

Our wish list for the future includes Costa Rica, Japan, Greece, Florida, Thailand and Vietnam.

The weather, and whether is is too hot, depends entirely on what time of year you go, of course.

Please
or

MrsBomer · 28/01/2022 15:58

Another vote for a cruise. The big ships are more like islands than boats, you really don't feel the movement! & there's so much variety of activities both on board and off

Please
or

Ylvamoon · 28/01/2022 16:35

If you want a DIY holiday, try Lake Constance.
Lots to do, including hiking/ cycling, theme parks, nerby cities to visit or just chilling on the lake shore.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 28/01/2022 16:58

Neilsons beach club would meet the needs of the kids and DH but you might find it too lacking in culture?

Please
or

HappyNeedyHuman · 28/01/2022 19:50

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will be looking into as many of these as I can over the weekend.

OP posts:
Please
or

Toomuchnow · 28/01/2022 19:50

@HappyNeedyHuman your partner is misinformed . It’s a shame if he’s discounting for these reasons. I also hate being on boats, ferries etc. But a cruise liner is a completely different experience- not at all comparable. Find some videos on YouTube, book a ships tour at Southampton. It’s a shame to miss out for such a non-issue

Please
or

backinthebox · 28/01/2022 22:12

What is it with cruises?
OP - ‘looking for holiday ideas please.’
Random - ‘try a cruise!’
OP - ‘not in love with the idea of a cruise, any other ideas?’
Random - ‘but you MUST try a cruise!
OP - ‘no, really, I don’t want to shell out loads on a holiday that doesn’t appeal to me.’
Random - ‘but cruises are great! G’wan, g’wan, g’wan, g’wan…….’

Why are cruise fans so keen to get everyone on those floating norovirus petridishes? I can think of a hundred different holidays I’d rather go on! Some of which would not thrill everyone, but I wouldn’t keep banging on about how everyone else was missing out just because it’s not their cup of tea.

Please
or

Bells3032 · 28/01/2022 22:19

Whilst I also would reccomend a cruise (backinthebox people reccomend them cos they're easy to accomadates lots of different styles whilst being safe to split up etc). Also I've been on 15 cruises and never once got ill.

How about Barcelona? Lovely city with good weather and stuff to do as well.

Please
or

Roo45 · 28/01/2022 22:48

Another vote for mexico! Loads of activities, stunning scenery and ruins.
Abu Dhabi has loads of theme parks for the kids, beaches/relaxing, culture maybe not as much as other places but there are certainly some things to see, it will just be really hot outdoors in summer during the day!
I haven't been but florida might fit your criteria too?
Closer to home my partner loves theme parks lol and we were looking at costa dorada pre covid which seems to have a good mix of activities and nice beaches, and there is the option of day trips elsewhere for the cultural side of things!
I do agree depends a bit on the budget! x

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 28/01/2022 22:50

Majorca. Hotels and beach for your DP, lots to do for the DC, the gorgeous city of Palma for you.

Please
or

Toomuchnow · 29/01/2022 10:16

@backinthebox It’s because the OP explained her partner is holding a common misconception about getting seasick. Cruises don’t make you seasick. That’s all the replies were saying. Sounds like you’re a snob to me, calling it a floating petridish.

OP- I’d recommend Maiori on the Amalfi coast. It’s a place popular with Italians, so much cheaper than other towns along the coast but still very pretty. Lovely beach, places to eat and easy day trips nearby (Pompeii, Salerno, Vesuvius, Naples, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri).

Please
or

backinthebox · 29/01/2022 14:18

@Toomuchnow Absolutely not a snob, more just very averse to spending time with other people, I like solitude and cannot imagine how that could be achieved on a cruise ship beyond staying in your cabin on your own. If anyone gets any closer to me than this I feel they are too close! Not everyone would enjoy roughing it in a converted shed on a beach, but I’m not ramming it down peoples throats either.

Where to holiday to please everyone?
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 31/01/2022 04:52

Biggest hurdle I can see is that you have the DH who wants to lay around in the sun while the OP doesn't like being too hot.

Is there a sweet spot where it's hot enough for idle sunbathing, but not too hot for the OP to wander round cultural sites?

I'd agree about somewhere like Mallorca, Malaga or Barcelona, because you have cities and beaches, but they're all very hot in the summer.

Although you can cool off inside a shady museum or with a dip in the pool/sea or doing watersports with the DC - paddle boarding, snorkelling, or they are probably just old enough for junior entry level scuba diving lessons.

Please
or

WildFlowerBees · 31/01/2022 04:57

[quote Toomuchnow]@backinthebox It’s because the OP explained her partner is holding a common misconception about getting seasick. Cruises don’t make you seasick. That’s all the replies were saying. Sounds like you’re a snob to me, calling it a floating petridish.

OP- I’d recommend Maiori on the Amalfi coast. It’s a place popular with Italians, so much cheaper than other towns along the coast but still very pretty. Lovely beach, places to eat and easy day trips nearby (Pompeii, Salerno, Vesuvius, Naples, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri).[/quote]
Yes you can get seasick, if you're in rough seas you'll feel the ship move. I worked on several for 4 years. I personally don't get seasick and it sounds like you don't either but many people do.

Having worked on cruises I'd never be a passenger.

Please
or

CrimbleCrumble1 · 31/01/2022 10:03

I was also going to recommend a cruise, it really does fit the criteria. I get really bad motion sickness but have never got sea sick on a cruise. I’ve been on 11 with my DC and started when they were 10-12.

Please
or

Retrievemysanity · 31/01/2022 10:08

We went to Croatia pre pandemic. It was fab. Air b n b with a pool, fab weather, Dubrovnik was great (esp if you’re a game of thrones fan!) lots of culture- walking the walls, cable car to the top of the town and boat trips. We did parasailing and jet skiing with our girls (now the same age as your children so a little younger when we went but they would love it still) in Cavtat and a day trip to Montenegro. Thoroughly recommend it!

Please
or

Sinuhe · 31/01/2022 14:31

Cruise Ships are an environmental disaster and don't really add much to the economy of their destination country.
If we have to travel far and wide, we should at leas honour the host country by spending the bulk of our mone there!

Please
or

MissBPotter · 31/01/2022 14:46

Portugal, stay near cascais near Lisbon. There are lovely beaches with the opportunity for surfing etc (Atlantic coast), but there’s a breeze so it’s not too hot. Then you’re also close to Lisbon and Sintra for culture.

Please
or