Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

6 month validity on covid vaccine passport- Italy

64 replies

Keladrythesaviour · 21/01/2022 09:25

Sorry to bring covid on to this board, but is anyone else looking line they might be affected by this new ruling in Italy (and maybe other countries, I'm not sure?)
As of February the covid vaccine will only have a 6 month validity, from what I've read. I had my booster in December and am due to go to Italy in June, so it runs out slap bang in the middle of my three week holiday. I've already moved this holiday three times Sad
I know things are changing so quickly, but I don't see how this makes any sense, because surely most people over the age of 30 are going to be similarly affected, and anyone with any kind of vulnerability who was vaccinated early.
Do people envisage the Italian system changing as we get closer, or will there be buy-your-own booster options etc?
I'm not really sure what I'm asking, just absolutely gutted at the thought of cancelling this holiday again as I think I'll have to cancel for good this time.

OP posts:
Please
or

MadeForThis · 21/01/2022 09:27

I thought the second dose had to be within the previous 270 days but the booster didn't have a limit.

I may have interpreted this incorrectly.

Please
or

jlgsy94 · 23/01/2022 18:14

@MadeForThis

I thought the second dose had to be within the previous 270 days but the booster didn't have a limit.

I may have interpreted this incorrectly.

@MadeForThis I believe you interpreted it correctly. We are travelling to Denmark end July for 3 weeks, and their rules are second dose must be within 270 days. As coronasmitte.dk didn’t provide a lot of clarity regarding the booster, I have phoned and spoken with the Danish joint authority covid helpline, and they told me 2nd dose must be within 270 days, but after you’ve had your booster there is currently no time limit/expiration date.

I wonder if it’s an EU wide policy? If so I can only assume Italy would have the same rules, although it is probably best to get in touch with the Italian embassy or their health authorities.
Please
or

AnyFucker · 23/01/2022 18:20

I don’t know about Italy but Spain are saying from 1st February if your 2nd vaccine is more than 270 days away then you are classed as unvaccinated. Having a booster reinstates you and currently there is no time limit imposed on that.

Please
or

LostThePot · 23/01/2022 18:24

I’m being thick. So even if you had your booster 300 days ago, you’re classed as fully vaxxed in Spain?

Please
or

AnyFucker · 23/01/2022 18:27

Currently, yes. That may change of course. Either way.

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 18:28

Oh it looks as if I may have understood, which I really hope is the case!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 18:28

Ugh - MISunderstood

OP posts:
Please
or

MadeForThis · 23/01/2022 19:10

Good news!!

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 20:27

I think you'll need to watch how things develop tbh.
From 1st Feb in Italy both second doses and boosters have a 270 day validity and then the Green Pass associated with them expires.
Whether that will mean the introduction of a 4th vaccine, or the removal of Green Pass restrictions will depend on how Covid itself plays out I imagine.

Please
or

jlgsy94 · 23/01/2022 20:52

@Geamhradh

From 1st Feb in Italy both second doses and boosters have a 270 day validity and then the Green Pass associated with them expires.
Whether that will mean the introduction of a 4th vaccine, or the removal of Green Pass restrictions will depend on how Covid itself plays out I imagine.

The EU Covid pass legislation is set to expire on 1st July so as you say, depending on the situation then, they may either extend the regulations or not.
6 month validity on covid vaccine passport- Italy
Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 21:03

@Geamhradh

Oh no this is what I thought - except from 1st Feb I think it's changing from 9months to 6 which is what is causing the problem.
OP posts:
Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 21:13

Yes, that's right. It's currently 9 months then changes to 6.
I didn't know (and I live in Italy- go figure!) until this week- talk here is all around the new restrictions and where you need a pass for, and this fact about the 270 day validity hasn't been mentioned much.

Please
or

jlgsy94 · 23/01/2022 21:22

@Keladrythesaviour That would be against what the European Commission has agreed to.

From 1st February, it will be a binding requirement on all 27 member states to allow a fully vaccinated travellers With a valid pass access their territory, replacing an earlier recommendation back in November. The EU Covid pass with remain valid for 9 months after completion of the primary vaccination schedule.

After you have received your booster, there will not currently be a validity expiration date as currently there is not enough information about the duration of protection from boosters.

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 21:25

@Geamhradh thank you for helping. Have most in Italy had their booster shots now? If they have I'm guessing they will have to do something in advance of the 6 month deadline and there doesn't seem much science behind getting entire populations boostered every 6 months. But then who knows in this bloody pandemic...
I'm so frustrated as I got my booster as soon as I was allowed because I didn't want anything preventing this holiday. And now that's proved to be a potential downfall!

OP posts:
Please
or

applespearsbears · 23/01/2022 21:26

So if I what my booster in October but plan to travel to Italy late may I will be ok? Sorry still confused

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 21:28

@applespearsbears

So if I what my booster in October but plan to travel to Italy late may I will be ok? Sorry still confused

Aren't we all!
OP posts:
Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 21:34

[quote S2VsYWRyeXRoZXNhdmlvdXJdKipAGeamhradh** thank you for helping. Have most in Italy had their booster shots now? If they have I'm guessing they will have to do something in advance of the 6 month deadline and there doesn't seem much science behind getting entire populations boostered every 6 months. But then who knows in this bloody pandemic...
I'm so frustrated as I got my booster as soon as I was allowed because I didn't want anything preventing this holiday. And now that's proved to be a potential downfall![/quote]
I think they're well on the way, yes. I'm a teacher and most of my students (secondary school) are in the process of getting theirs. DD had hers last weekend and she's in final year of school.
Mine was end Nov so I expire Confused at the end of May under the soon to be in force regulations.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 21:38

@Geamhradh

Yes, that's right. It's currently 9 months then changes to 6.
I didn't know (and I live in Italy- go figure!) until this week- talk here is all around the new restrictions and where you need a pass for, and this fact about the 270 day validity hasn't been mentioned much.

Sorry, I meant to say 180 day/6 mth validity there, not 9 month.
Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 23/01/2022 22:05

@Geamhradh this is why it seems such a weird policy! Any older age groups are surely going to run out much earlier and unless they force through very quickly a 4th jab you're going to have anyone over the age of 60 (for example) unable to do anything because they don't have a valid pass any more. I don't know why countries can't just say you have a valid passport so long as you have completed the full course available in your home country.

I hope what @jlgsy94 has said is true and the EU regulations will over ride what Italy has prescribed. I suppose the review of State Emergency regulations on 31st March will be decision day which is cutting it very fine for my accomodation notice period Sad

OP posts:
Please
or

jlgsy94 · 23/01/2022 22:12

@Keladrythesaviour See here:-

ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_6837

It states within

“ Under these new EU rules for intra-EU travel, Member States must accept any vaccination certificate that has been issued less than nine months since the administration of the last dose of the primary vaccination. Member States are not able to provide for a shorter nor for a longer acceptance period.”

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 22:20

I think where the confusion arises is that because there literally is no fourth vaccine at the moment, the booster jab itself has no expiry. But the Green Pass that the vaccine triggers does have an expiry and that expiry is 6mths from 1/2 iyswim?
I can understand the thinking behind it, as initially the vaccine was for 12 mths, then 9 and now 6 as the scientists and research has found that vaccine efficiency wanes.

Reading the EC announcement on 21/12

ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_6837

It reads to me that for actual physical TRAVEL purposes the 9mths will be respected, but if you read down it says the 9mths is ONLY for travel and once you're in the country it's hoped they'll align with the 9mths to make life easier. Well, Italy have already decided on 6mths so are not looking like they're going to align.

I don't think it's doom and gloom though- at the moment we need Green Passes (mainly Super GP) for almost everything, and those lists are increasingly as we are reaching Omicron peak. But over the coming weeks that will change and then as we go into summer, GP rules will change too. Fingers crossed.

Please
or

scraggadoo · 23/01/2022 22:26

Following this thread with interest as have just booked flights to Italy in August..

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 22:27

Cross-posted with @jlgsy94.

It is very confusing for tourists-particularly as it looks like you could potentially get into the country but then not be able to use your pass for anything.

On that note, I'm off to bed (tomorrow morning have a class with half boosted, 3 doing a test to be readmitted after 10 days quarantine and the rest online as they are still waiting for booster but more than 120 days have passed since their second dose so their super GPs for school/quarantine have been revoked until they get the booster.) And all that needs verifying at the door!

Happy days Confused

Please
or

jlgsy94 · 23/01/2022 22:27

@Keladrythesaviour @Geamhradh

It states the following within the Commission Delegated Regulation on the validity of vaccination certificates issued under the EU Digital COVID Certificate framework;

“ As reported by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the follow-up times after administration of the booster dose in the available studies are short, and further monitoring of data is needed to determine the duration of immunity following the booster dose against infection, mild disease and severe disease. As of yet, there are no studies expressly addressing the effectiveness of boosters on transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and therefore it is not possible for now to determine an acceptance period for certificates indicating the administration of booster doses. However, the emerging data on the effectiveness of booster doses on restoring a high protection against infection indicate that they are also likely to have an important impact on limiting onward transmission. It can reasonably be expected that protection from booster vaccinations may last longer than that resulting from the primary series. Therefore, no acceptance period should, at this stage, apply to certificates indicating the administration of a booster dose, regardless whether the booster dose was administered during the 270-day acceptance period applicable to certificates indicating
the completion of the primary vaccination series or whether it was administered afterwards.”

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/01/2022 22:28

(don't want to frighten anyone with the 120 day thing- that's just if you're in school and there have been 2 cases in your class!)

Please
or