Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

San Francisco has it changed?

15 replies

Rocktheboat56 · 08/01/2022 17:02

I saw a youtube video which raised some concerns about San Francisco as a holiday destination. The chap in the video has lived there for a few years. The video was from 7 months ago.

Wondered has anymore been recently. I can imagine with a lot of people working from home it's quieter.

OP posts:
Please
or

BalladOfBarryAndFreda · 08/01/2022 17:06

‘Raising concerns’ in what way?

I went as a tourist in 2016 and again in 2019 (with DH, adult child and then teen), both were fantastic trips with no ‘concerns’. We walked, used public transport, were out after dark and visited different neighbourhoods. There was quite a large homeless population which was sad to see but you get that in most large cities, especially in the USA with their welfare and MH care failures.

Please
or

Ozanj · 08/01/2022 17:11

It depends where you stay and how you travel. If you’re going to be hiring a car and staying on the outskirts in a reputable hotel then you will be fine. If you will be walking / using public transport and staying downtown that’s when it can get nasty - particularly if you’re not white. For a city that prides itself on diversity there is a shocking amount of intolerance to other races and cultures particularly from the working class poor communities that live close to downtown. More recently I know of women of all multiple races who have also been targeted by trans ppl during pride etc just for being women - nothing violent but lots of spitting, name calling etc

Please
or

BalladOfBarryAndFreda · 08/01/2022 17:21

We stayed in Nob Hill, so not outskirts. We are a white family though.

Please
or

Rocktheboat56 · 08/01/2022 18:06

Thanks for your replies. The video was within the last 7 months. I visited London this week and because everyone has been told to work from home if possible the streets are barely busy. Not the same.

I have previously been so know that one area is best avoided. However my concerns would be that the life and soul has gone. Also safety is perhaps more of a concern

OP posts:
Please
or

Rocktheboat56 · 08/01/2022 18:10

I've added a screenshot of the video which raises concerns

San Francisco has it changed?
OP posts:
Please
or

NoSquirrels · 08/01/2022 18:14

What exactly is it you’re concerned about?

I loved SF. Didn’t feel unsafe, but then I don’t feel unsafe in London either.

Please
or

BalladOfBarryAndFreda · 08/01/2022 18:33

You still haven’t said what the concerns are though. I won’t be watching the video, so just tell us what the concerns are. Travel over the US border has been seriously restricted until very recently thanks to covid, so you’ll be lucky to find someone who has been more recently than 7mo, unless you can find a resident.

Please
or

BalladOfBarryAndFreda · 08/01/2022 18:36

The life and soul has gone.
Safety is a concern.

I think everywhere is a bit like that in terms of atmosphere at street level and in restaurants as there are fewer people out and about.

Safety in terms of what? Pick pocketing/muggings/street harassment?

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 08/01/2022 18:40

There was a thread on here not that long ago about LA and also mentioned SF. I think both have changed a huge amount in the last year with even more poverty, homelessness and drug use. I love LA but have no desire to go back anytime soon as it sounds pretty dire.

Please
or

PermanentTemporary · 08/01/2022 18:47

I was in SF in 2019 pre pandemic and had an amazing time, though in one area I certainly saw a number of rough sleepers who all appeared disabled and either intoxicated or confused. The impossible housing situation also came through loud and clear. But that didn't appear any different from NY 30 years ago to me. I can imagine things feel different now, I haven't been to the US since then.

Please
or

LoveFall · 08/01/2022 18:58

DH and I were frequent cruisers in and out of San Francisco before the pandemic.

The ship usually stayed overnight when stopping there on a itinerary starting from Vancouver or LA.

We have had some excellent days out. One tour on a volkswagen van all painted up for the summer of love.

We took public transit to the California Science Center which was great. We have done an Alcatraz tour. Ridden on street cars.

SF has become a bit more edgy in the past five years. They do have homeless which is a problem in most cities with a milder climate. We have met a number of what I would call "interesting" people at bus stops and managed to chat a bit. DH is very personable and kind so he tends to be friendly if someone is approachable. We do learn things that way.

We ate dim sum in Chinatown where a group of police had stopped for lunch. Very authentic and atmospheric.

The ships dock very near Fisherman's Wharf. I love walking along looking at the various seafood restaurants. I also love watching the sourdough bread being made at Bodin. There is also the must have clam chowder in a bread bowl.

I think it is like many major cities. Keep your wits about you and plan your day.

I have read recently many shops have robbery problems and have boarded windows. That makes me sad.

I have some sympathy as we have homeless in Vancouver, and yes, it is often mental illness and/or drugs. The problem is more difficult than we think really.

I would go to SF gladly.

Please
or

SmallElephant · 08/01/2022 18:59

Here's the thread mentioned above. Mainly about LA but does mention SF too:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/4426075-The-situation-in-LA

Please
or

Rocktheboat56 · 26/01/2022 14:23

Thank you all for your replies. So in the end we settled on Chicago/ Washington. We will try again for San Francisco when things pick up

OP posts:
Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 26/01/2022 14:26

I was there in 2018 and loved it, thought it was a great city but like you, have heard it's in decline.

I've also been to Chicago and loved it there too.

I think they are like any city - they all have their issues.

Please
or

A580Hojas · 26/01/2022 14:31

My brother and his partner (male) love San Francisco and have visited many times. The last time they went - about 5 years ago I think - they hated it, couldn't wait to come home. Say they will never go back.

Please
or