Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lapland

34 replies

Littlesticklebrick · 03/12/2021 00:29

Hi, we’re going to Lapland in a couple of weeks. I’ve never done a cold trip before and I’m unsure of a few areas… I’ve bought base layers. What do I need on top of those before I put my snow suit on? My son has got joggers.
Also is a jumper dress ok for the travelling day? I figured I could put my thermals in a bag to put under when we arrive?
We have a package so the snow suits are given when we arrive.
Many thanks for any tips

OP posts:
Please
or

PinkPlantCase · 03/12/2021 11:41

Hi OP, haven’t been to Lapland but have spent some time in cold places.

A few things, You’ll want lots of layers, so a thermal base layer, long sleeved top, then and jumper and or fleece. Try and make sure that atleast one of the layers has a polo neck. Layers are great because it’ll probably be really warm indoors!

What shoes and socks do you have? Keeping your toes warm will be really important.

For travelling I’d probably wear a thermal vest under the dress and thermal tights, or atleast woolly tights.

Do you know how much time you’ll be spending outside?

Buffs, hats and balaclavas would probably come in handy too.

Mittons are much warmer than gloves.

Have a great time!!

Please
or

PavoReal · 05/12/2021 09:47

I am at a Lapland airport right now. No one is in a jumper dress, everyone in joggers in the main, a few in jeans. You have to walk out to the plane, it’s minus 22. It was minus 4 when we arrived and snowing, those who packed their big coat in the hold bag were frozen. You will have an amazing time!!

Please
or

Meadowbreeze · 05/12/2021 10:46

I always find one of the most expensive parts of cold holidays is the clothes. Especially for kids as it's likely to be the only time they'll wear it. Pack lots and lots of layers. Really good quality thermals for those that aren't growing.
I would say joggers instead of a jumper dress, especially if you're not getting your proper coats until you arrive at your destination.

Please
or

Littlesticklebrick · 05/12/2021 10:55

Thanks for this! I’ve already decided on joggers!
Does anyone have a recommendation for clothing when eating at night etc I imagine it’s all pretty much the same as day?

OP posts:
Please
or

RampantIvy · 05/12/2021 11:00

No-one dresses up at night. Where we stayed there were lots of cabins so people just rolled down the top half of their snow suits.

It is really important that your mittens are waterproof. Get thin gloves to wear under them as well.

Please
or

MilkTart · 07/12/2021 13:04

We've just come back from lapland. It was amazing but so cold (although we did manage to be there during a particularly cold snap). We wore jeans, long sleeve tops and had a jumper in our hand luggage. That with hats, gloves and winter coats were fine for getting off the plane and onto the bus etc.

The big suits they give you are amazing. We wore thermals, then joggers, long sleeve top, jumper and then the snow suit. They gave us boots, wool socks and mittens as well so we all had a pair of thermal socks and normal gloves on underneath. We bought boxes of disposable hand and foot warmers from decathlon and they made a massive difference, worth every penny. I also got a merino wool balaclava from h&m for the kids which were great. We all had fleece neck gaiters as well. I wish I had bought spares as they can get a bit wet when they are over your mouth so it would have been good to be able to change them when out and about. Head torches for tobogganing in the dark would have been useful as well!

Other things that I'm really glad I had with me were a power bank - my phone battery went from 40% to zero after having my phone out for a couple of minutes to take a video. It was fine taking it in and out for a quick photo but it definitely couldn't cope with a longer stint! I also got some water proof phone holders on a lanyard off Amazon. My husband thought it was overkill until he ended up with condensation all over his phone after the first day! I took things like sachets of hot chocolate with us which was nice for the kids to have in the hotel room, and we got a massive bottle of Bailey's from the duty free in the way over. Alcohol is really expensive, although we did try a Lappish beer which was really nice.

We had a meal a short walk from our hotel and just wore thermals and jeans with our coats to get there and it was absolutely fine. Be aware that all of the hotels etc seem to like to have the heating right up so a brisk walk in the cold can be quite pleasant!

Anyway, have a fabulous time, it is absolutely magical Xmas Smile

Please
or

MilkTart · 07/12/2021 13:05

Oh, also. Pack your most distinguishable hats and backpacks - everyone looks the same in the snow suits!

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 14/12/2021 12:11

Finland are making an announcement about entry requirements today. Will post when I know details

Please
or

Nevertime · 14/12/2021 12:19

I went on an outdoor activity holiday in Lapland one February.

We took thermal base layers and everything else was provided. Fleece trousers and jumpers and windproof/waterproof jacket and trousers. Merino wool socks and hat, good boots, and down mittens with gortex cover.

I was so comfortable I was thinking that actually the temperature wasn't that different to at home. Until the evening I stepped outside to see the Northern Lights in my normal warm winter clothes, including down coat. The right clothes make such a difference.

Please
or

ElfYourself21 · 14/12/2021 12:34

@countrygirl99 oh shit, we are due to fly in less than 48 hours. Have they given any indication what will be announced?

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 14/12/2021 12:39

Not yet, my son and DIL are trying to find out the requirements at the moment. We fly out Tuesday. Desperately googling where I can get a test locally just in case. Don't want to rely on the post.

Please
or

ElfYourself21 · 14/12/2021 13:23

@MilkTart did you go with Tui by any chance? The website says they no longer give anything other than boots and suits cos covid but would be handy if we got gloves and socks too.

Please
or

MilkTart · 14/12/2021 13:42

No, we went with Santa's Lapland. I would double check with them. It seems a bit odd - surely they wash the socks at least!

Please
or

Double3xposure · 14/12/2021 13:56

If they are only giving you boots and suits then you need

Polyester/ silk thermal underwear ( top and bottom)
Merino thermal underwear
Silk liner socks
Thick ski type socks
Joggers ( fleece and polyester are much better than cotton )
Fleece top ( pref zip up or half zip so you can undo it inside )
Fleece or wool buff or Balaclava
Silk liner gloves
Waterproof mittens
Thin merino beanie hat
Outer hat that covers your ears and neck . Make this a distinctive colour / pattern if you want to take photos of your children and not other peoples children.

A couple of t shirts to wear in your room bed or at dinner. No one dresses up at all.

Most of the kids wore fleece PJ bottoms as they are much easier to get than fleece trousers.

Decathlon have most of this stuff. We also used the hand / feet warmers that @MilkTart mentioned.

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 14/12/2021 19:33

@elfyourself21 proposals need to be approved so uou will be in the clear. Proposal is test within 48 hours of entry.

Please
or

ElfYourself21 · 14/12/2021 19:38

Phew! Thanks for the update. I guess the rule will be to isolate before result is back? Do you have any idea how long approval takes?

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 14/12/2021 21:58

No idea so we are still sweating on what we need to do for Tuesday. 48 hours before arrival for us is late Sunday afternoon.

Please
or

ElfYourself21 · 14/12/2021 22:47

Fingers crossed it works out for you Flowers

Please
or

Solina · 16/12/2021 08:36

The suggestion is that from 21.12 anyone outside EU or schengen arriving to Finland will need a negative test less than 48h before their arrival. They are deciding on it today.

Here: valtioneuvosto.fi/en/-//1410869/passengers-arriving-from-third-countries-who-have-received-a-full-course-of-vaccination-required-to-carry-proof-of-a-negative-covid-19-test-as-of-21-december

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 16/12/2021 11:47

We are flying on 21st and booked tests yesterday morning as suitable slots were filling fast.

Please
or

Solina · 16/12/2021 13:54

Just to update; UK is on the list of countries where having a test less than 48h prior is coming in force immediately rather than from 21st.

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 16/12/2021 14:15

Good job we booked those tests

Please
or

itsgonnabe · 17/12/2021 13:14

@Solina where do you get that information? Thank you.

I can only find guidance that says upto 21/12/21 travellers have to be prepared to take a test if they can’t demonstrate a negative result whereas from 21/12 travellers have to demonstrate a negative test? Does anyone know what form the demonstration of negative test can be? Would NHS negative LFT be sufficient?

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 17/12/2021 13:18

You need a certificate so a NHS test won't work but it can be PCR or antigen.

Please
or

itsgonnabe · 17/12/2021 13:53

@countrygirl99. Thank you. Wishful thinking on my behalf. I’m reading it that for our arrival in Finland on 19/12, this new entry test is optional……

Please
or