Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Greek islands - should we go?

42 replies

Bougis123 · 08/08/2021 18:06

We've paid to go to a Greek island at the end of August. Now I'm worried that, despite being double vacc'ed, everyone on the plane will get tested on arrival and, if someone tests positive, we'll be asked to quarantine for our entire holiday. Can anyone shed any light on this/reassure me please???

OP posts:
Please
or

Orf1abc · 08/08/2021 18:09

Have you seen what's going on in Greece right now?

Please
or

ilovesooty · 08/08/2021 18:09

It's a chance you take I suppose. They tested everyone on my plane but there were no repercussions. I believe it's generally random testing or testing those who aren't vaccinated.

Please
or

TangledTrees · 08/08/2021 18:10

No.

Please
or

Clymene · 08/08/2021 18:10

Yeah I'd say vaccination is the least of your worry

Greece wildfires: Hundreds more evacuated as uncontrolled fires rage www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58138614

Please
or

Crockof · 08/08/2021 18:16

Most of Greece isn't burning! (Although my thoughts are with those that are, and those in Turkey)

I've not been brave enough, would love to go but too many variables for me.

Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 09/08/2021 04:21

I'm in Crete now.

No wildfires. All super normal and they are crying out for tourists.

No random testing at airport on landing.

I'd say as long as you're comfortable with risk and uncertainty (and I won't lie - I was v stressed until we were at our accommodation) then it is 100% worth it.

Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 09/08/2021 04:26

....I think stepping away from the frenzied media atm would be helpful. In the absence of gvmt sitting during the holidays, they are whipping up people not to travel abroad with sensationalist headlines. BBC has long been a gvmt propaganda machine IMO.

It's in the gvmts interest for people to stay in the UK and spend their money here, boosting our economy.

It's SO good to get away from it all.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 09/08/2021 06:06

OP it’s random testing, generally (not while plane) and it’s only the person who is positive/ their travel companions who have to quarantine on arrival. We really stressed about this but reduced the chance of this happening we all took a fit to fly test on day of travel despite vaccinations. This reduced the chance of a nasty surprise on arrival. In the end no one on the flight was even tested! I worried myself sick about it for ten days beforehand though so do understand. Lots on trip adviser about this but I recommend doing what I did in terms of testing and then not researching it too much as it’s so anxiety inducing!

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 09/08/2021 06:06

*whole plane

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 09/08/2021 06:08

Btw we’re in Lefkas currently and echo Arabella’s comments about it all seeming very normal.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 09/08/2021 06:35

I wouldn’t go to Greece right now due to the random testing. Would be worried that someone sat near me on the plane tested positive. If you can, I’d change it to somewhere withno tests on arrival.

Please
or

cptartapp · 09/08/2021 06:58

The airport testing was mostly what made us rebook (again) to next year. Should be flying to Halkidiki on Friday. I heard they test lead passengers and isolate those in close proximity. Whether true or not, too risky.
Off to Croatia instead.

Please
or

poshme · 09/08/2021 07:04

I'm in Crete. No testing on arrival that I saw.

It's very hot!

Please
or

Cozytoesandtoast00 · 09/08/2021 07:05

I'm in Rhodes. Did a test via video link the day before. No issues at all. Fires are not everywhere!
Loving it!

Please
or

stepupandbecounted · 09/08/2021 07:16

I have flown a few times, and felt surprisingly relaxed as long as you are organised with the paperwork and testing requirements you will be fine.

The bigger worry is the heat, and wildfires continuing. I don't think I could cope with the temperatures, so would choose to defer my trip to the autumn or late spring next year.

Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 09/08/2021 08:31

Certainly in Crete atm the temperatures are heaven, at least for us. It's around 31 degrees and breezy.

Please
or

Okbutnotgreat · 09/08/2021 08:35

I would.

Please
or

Bougis123 · 09/08/2021 14:34

Thanks for all your comments everyone - very helpful. We're going to Kefalonia so not sure if anyone has any specific info about there please (fires and virus)? Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

stepupandbecounted · 09/08/2021 15:43

It is 37c forecast in Crete for tomorrow. I have been in Greece four times in August and never ever again. It is a furnace, and too hot to actually do anything, I couldn't even think straight. It was almost as hot as Qatar.

So it depends on how you feel about extreme heat, if you have children (they won't cope in this heat) and it is not great to keep them inside for much of the day.

Kefalonia has an extreme heat warning and is currently 39c. I think it depends if you can cope with that or not. Do you have AC? Airports are unbelievably baking I remember that much, packed and boiling.

Please
or

stepupandbecounted · 09/08/2021 15:46

Might be worth noting it is beautiful here all week in the UK, so it might be wise to move the holiday when it is cooler and you can enjoy it? No wildfires or stress of the heat.

Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 09/08/2021 16:26

@stepupandbecounted

Must be a different part of Crete you're looking at - the bit I'm in is forecast 32. Dropping to 30 later this week!

It doesn't feel stifling at all due to strong breeze.

Please
or

poshme · 09/08/2021 16:41

I agree with @ArabellaPilkington

Yes Crete has been very hot recently, but today there has been a lovely breeze. I like it hot, as long as I have a pool or the sea though!

Please
or

stepupandbecounted · 09/08/2021 16:47

Look at the forecast! Seriously.

Please
or

stepupandbecounted · 09/08/2021 16:47

There is a weather warning.

Please
or
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?