Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to go?! Two week holiday no kids

51 replies

PuffItsGone · 14/03/2021 16:54

Hi,

Kids are now a bit older and husband and I looking to take our first holiday without them in years. We will have two weeks in August this year when kids have other things on so we can go away just the two of them. We can’t think where to go though and when I try to google I get overwhelmed with options.

Looking for:
-sun!!!
-pool
-beach

• good food and drink

Ultimately we want to relax, no pressures to do anything and just enjoy being together.

Happy to do long haul. As it’s August we’re keen to avoid other peoples kids so maybe adult only hotel suggestions?

Thank you!
OP posts:
Please
or

Crazycatlady83 · 14/03/2021 16:59

I love the Radisson in Gran Canaria in Porta Mogan. It isn’t adults only but It’s got a “quiet pool” for adults and they really enforce it. The beach and port are a short easy walk down a pedestrian only street. The food in the restaurants is lovely and the beach gorgeous.

We are going there in August ourselves and can’t wait - definitely our happy place!!

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 14/03/2021 17:55

Thank you, will have a look but I think we’re liking for something that feels like a bit of a treat if you know what I mean? We’re happy to splash out a bit

OP posts:
Please
or

Wavescrashingonthebeach · 14/03/2021 17:57

What kind of budget you looking at?

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 14/03/2021 17:59

Happy to spend up to £8k for both of us if all inclusive, more like £5-6k if just flights and B&B

OP posts:
Please
or

AnythingConsidered · 14/03/2021 18:03

My DH and I do 10 days away in Sept every other year. We have done it three times and have visited Mexico, Sri Lanka, Maldives. All are amazing locations.

Mexico offers more in the way of 'sightseeing' compared to Maldives for example, but the Maldives feels more personal compared to the large complexes.

Please
or

Lulu1919 · 14/03/2021 18:04

Watching with anticipation
I fancy Mexico ...not this year ...not ready to fly yet....

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 14/03/2021 18:06

Anything thank you for the advice, any hotels in particular you would recommend? Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

minniemoocher · 14/03/2021 18:20

Can recommend Sri Lanka - do a multi centre with a couple of days in Colombo then take the train inland to kandy and beyond before heading back to the coast for 3-4 days r&r. On your budget you can stay 5* - pm me for hotel recommendations, bit outing to put them here.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 14/03/2021 21:09

Peloponnese, somewhere like Kardamyli. It will be very hot in August but the swimming will be lovely. You can just kick back and do as little as possible or explore, the Mani do some day trips to other parts of the Peloponnese.

Please
or

SEE123 · 14/03/2021 21:18

Excellence Playa Mujeres - Mexico.
We stayed at the child friendly one next door, this is the adults only one. It was incredible.

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 14/03/2021 23:49

Ooh excellence looks good. I do always worry about package all inclusive holidays as I don’t want to be surrounded by rowdy crowds just drinking alcohol from 10am. Looks like this resort may be a bit nicer than that?!

OP posts:
Please
or

PuffItsGone · 15/03/2021 16:40

I’ve had a look and Mexico looks pretty rainy in August so any other ideas?? I think now specifically looking for an adults only hotel

OP posts:
Please
or

Chihuahuacat · 15/03/2021 16:47

We’ve just booked Ikos in Greece. It’s not adults only but has adults only areas. We went all inclusive in case it’s hard to book local restaurants because of covid restrictions. It’s ‘gourmet’ all inclusive with proper wine etc.

The Oku chain in Greece also looks nice.

Also look at Borgo le terraze in lake como - amazing views.

Please
or

muddledmidget · 15/03/2021 16:50

I think for August I'd look to go to southern Europe, you're guaranteed the weather without worrying about time differences. I'd be looking at a platinum adults only resort in Greece probably with a suite and private pool, maybe somewhere likes Domes of Elounda, but with a better beach, although the local restaurants are amazing.

Please
or

peak2021 · 15/03/2021 18:25

If you are prepared to take your chance with the weather, Portmeirion in north Wales. Luxurious, beautiful, looks like Italy, but no waiting in airport customs queues. Remember the Borders Agency cannot cope with school holidays especially at Heathrow, even though they have been at the same time for at least 50 years.

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 15/03/2021 20:56

I actually think Europe might be too expensive. I’m pricing up Greek resorts and it’s coming out at £7-8k B&B which is too much for us.

Don’t fancy wales- keen to leave the UK!!

OP posts:
Please
or

lurker101 · 15/03/2021 22:29

We’ve stayed at Daios Cove in Crete which was lovely, we had our own pool which was great for chilling out. Food and drinks were great, and there was a lovely spa. Its set on its own private beach, with easy walk/taxi to Agios Nikolaos. It’s not adults only though, there were few kids and they were well-behaved but we were there at the start of season.

Please
or

Notnastypasty · 15/03/2021 22:35

How about Stella island in Crete? Adults only, all inclusive and over water villas. In your budget. Looks amazing!

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 16/03/2021 11:07

Stella island looks fab but sadly out of budget for our dates/it doesn’t look like they even have availability for our preferred travel date.

Now considering Mauritius- any recommendations?

OP posts:
Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 16/03/2021 11:47

Oooh, you want an IKOS hotel! We went for my 40th, and it was divine, proper luxury. They do cater (brilliantly!) for kids, but have adult-only pools and areas too.

We also did the Maldives pre-kids, which was also lovely and very indulgent, but I don't think August is the right time for that.

Please
or

Chihuahuacat · 16/03/2021 11:53

Ah I’m glad IKOS is actually good - can’t wait!!

I just checked and it’s coming in about £2k each all inclusive for August.

Please
or

Redtartanshoes · 16/03/2021 12:00

How about a villa somewhere like Lake Como?

We went in September and it was amazing. Ate out mostly but freedom to lounge around my the pool drinking wine and eating bread and cheese if we felt like it

Please
or

Lightsabre · 16/03/2021 12:09

South Africa? Only a two hour time difference. Amazing food and wines. Portfolio Collection for properties. Not sure what the weather is like in August though.

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 16/03/2021 13:21

I think SA is cooler in August, as we have been in September previously and it got very very cold in the evenings.

Which Ikos should I be looking at please?

OP posts:
Please
or

PuffItsGone · 16/03/2021 13:22

We don’t really want a villa as (and this sounds terribly lazy I am aware) we don’t want to have to sort our own drinks etc during the day. We want to do as little as possible Grinw

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?