Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Small uk seaside place that's flat!

38 replies

cannotfathom · 02/03/2021 19:04

DM is in a wheelchair and would love to go to the seaside when we are allowed. Devon/Dorset would be ideal distance wise and ideally I'd love a quaint little seaside town with some lovely coffee shops, a couple of good pubs, that's pretty flat and not cobbley! Would like to be able to drive to a nice sandy beach.

I don't want much do I? The sort of places I like are St Ives (too hilly for me to push a wheelchair around, apart from the bit by the harbour) Appledore (a good contender but I can't recall if the streets are cobbled or not!)

Not a fan of commercial places like Newquay/Weston. Any ideas?

OP posts:
Please
or

AyeKarumba · 02/03/2021 19:19

Norfolk is flat.

Please
or

Jellybearlovescake · 02/03/2021 19:24

It might be too far but broadstairs is lovely, sandy beaches, nice pubs, lots of history and the viking coastal trail is all flat

Please
or

insancerre · 02/03/2021 19:25

Lytham st annes
It’s all flat

Please
or

ValpolicellaPrimitivo · 02/03/2021 19:25

The sea front at Swanage is fairly flat and Weymouth.

Please
or

KibeththeWalker · 02/03/2021 19:26

Marazion might be about right. It's not totally flat, but not super steep like many of the fishing villages and there are good concrete slopes down onto the sand.

The view of Mount St Michael is just stunning (although the pathway across is sadly cobbled).

Please
or

KibeththeWalker · 02/03/2021 19:27

Weymouth is very accessible, but not quaint.

Please
or

LubaLuca · 02/03/2021 19:28

Llandudno would be ideal for a wheelchair user, but it's probably too far for you. It's a Victorian resort with lots of old-fashioned charm.

Please
or

Testarossa44 · 02/03/2021 19:28

Blackpool is flat all along the seafront

Please
or

DragonPoop · 02/03/2021 19:28

First place I thought of was swanage

Please
or

redcandlelight · 02/03/2021 19:30

walton?
Margate?

Please
or

bicyclebelles · 02/03/2021 19:30

Mumbles?

Please
or

user1497787065 · 02/03/2021 19:31

How about Sidmouth? Lots of
Hotels on the seafront, a nice town for a spot of shopping, coffee etc

Please
or

cannotfathom · 02/03/2021 19:33

Swanage might be a shout...I'll look it up!

Blackpool is kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for (although it is indeed flat!)

I do like Norfolk but it's a bit too much of a trek (as is Broadstairs)

Thanks for suggestions

OP posts:
Please
or

SmednotaSmoo · 02/03/2021 19:35

Just here to echo a previous poster that I think you want Swanage... it gets hilly fairly close to the town but the centre/beach is also flat.

Please
or

Weedsnseeds1 · 02/03/2021 19:37

Burnham-on-sea?
Lovely long beach.Very flat. Not exactly quaint, to be fair, but a lot quieter than Weston. If you are happy to do the odd drive, you can head inland for gorgeous pubs with great food (also on the flat). Burnham, I wouldn't rate so much pubwise, although has some perfectly pleasant ones. But you have the whole of the Somerset Levels on your doorstep and they are distinctly flat!

Please
or

AnaisNun · 02/03/2021 19:37

It’s rather run down in the centre, but Bridlington is flat and has vast beaches and a lovely promenade toward the south, where David Hockney lived for many years with his sister. The light is beautiful.

Please
or

EcoCustard · 02/03/2021 19:37

Lincolnshire is flat but not quaint, Norfolk might work.

Please
or

crispinglovershighkick · 02/03/2021 19:42

Bridport is lovely and not very hilly, with a sandy beach (Charmouth) a short drive away. I believe there are accessible cottages at Tamarisk Farm in nearby West Bexington.

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 02/03/2021 19:43

Was going to recommend some Cornish but this years storms have changed sand levels a lot recently with a lot of sand dragged out - so a few I know are now v Rocky beaches ! Happens few times a years with big seas and then sand is washed back but this year it’s been significant in some places.

Please
or

Leah2005 · 02/03/2021 19:43

Another vote for Sidmouth. Lovely flat esplanade, little cafes and individual shops. (can't remember what the beach is like to be fair). Oh and a lovely donkey sanctuary close by!

Please
or

babyyodaxmas · 02/03/2021 19:44

Bexhill ?

Please
or

KibeththeWalker · 02/03/2021 19:46

The pebbles at West Bay (Bridport) would be god's own nightmare with a wheelchair. Charmouth is quite accessible, perhaps except for the last hump before you drop down onto the beach. This changes shape every year, so it would be a bit pot-luck what the beach entrance was like.

TBH I think Swanage is a great shout.

Please
or

AlwaysLatte · 02/03/2021 19:49

I took my mum to Eastbourne last year - miles of walking along the seafront with a wheelchair and we rented an accessible apartment within walking distance, so no transport problems at all. Even the Eye was wheelchair friendly.

Please
or

Girlwhowearsglasses · 02/03/2021 19:58

Wil you have a car and does your DM have a blue badge is top question.

Lots of places have steep hills but if you have a blue badge you can get down to the seafront and park right where it's flat.

Lyme Regis for one- the hill up to the town is a horror but once down at the front there is an esplanade, museum, pubs, cafes, fossil shops etc

Woolacombe and Saunton Sands - woolacombe has a couple of car parks and pavements down to the main beach (though you are stuck once there a bit with sand) woolacombe has a 'stomper' all terrain scooter that you can book for free from tourist information. You can go on the back and dunes with it for an hour or two.

Saunton has a car park right by the beach and a boardwalk down to the sands. It's lovely. You can park in the Saunton Sands Hotel and have afternoon tea overlooking this stunning beach - the hotel has lifts and takes afternoon tea or lunch bookings. It's an art deco gem.

If you are disabled and want to go to Clovelly they will take you down and up the hill in their land rover (or did a few years ago) - the harbour is beautiful.

Park in disabled bays in Ilfracombe and the harbour is level and the lower town is paved not cobbled. There's an aquarium on the harbour and a proper old fashioned museum with drawers full of butterflies etc up the road - not a hill.

Coombe Martin is level too

Marazion I know is level as a pp said.

Please
or

KibeththeWalker · 02/03/2021 20:02

Lyme Regis for one- the hill up to the town is a horror

I need an ambulance to follow me up the hill to the top carpark! Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?