Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Driving through france during curfew

30 replies

alyaster1 · 17/12/2020 16:29

Hi, I'm due to drive through france on Saturday to get to spain very late that evening.
My plan was to get off the ferry and drive solidly only stopping for quick toilet breaks. France now has an 8pm curfew so I should really stop driving and check into a hotel but that seems more risky for me and the hotel staff. France has a mitigating circumstances list but we don't really fall into any category. The fine is 135 euros which although a lot of money is still probably cheaper than a hotel and all the risks. My question for anyone living in France, can they fine you multiple times on the same journey? Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on this please?

OP posts:
Please
or

TheHoneyBadger · 17/12/2020 16:35

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

SquirtleSquad · 17/12/2020 16:37

My understanding from one of my friends who is doing the same (so I don't know this is 100% it's just what she said she had found out) is that you can be fined multiple times. If stopped and fined you are sent "home" I guess in your case you'd need to provide them with a hotel you'll be staying in if you can't prove a residence. They can then check that you are at "home" and if you aren't there can be fined again (fine increases I believe) and the same applies if you are "caught" out again.

There is a hotline you can phone run by the gov for advice on the rules - I've attached it here

Driving through france during curfew
Please
or

LaChatte · 17/12/2020 16:39

No no no, you can't do it. You won't get multiple fines you'll end up getting a massive fine and a prison sentence (yes seriously).

Please
or

LaChatte · 17/12/2020 16:40

You can sleep in your car though, not massively helpful I know

Please
or

Clymene · 17/12/2020 16:42

I really really wouldn't do it.

Please
or

LaChatte · 17/12/2020 16:46

€3750

Please
or

notimagain · 17/12/2020 17:06

I'd say it's very much a no and if caught it could mean a big fine.

General principal of French decrees, etc, is that if something isn't specifically listed as approved then it's not allowed...there's no wriggle room.

Please
or

notimagain · 17/12/2020 17:08

P.S.

Also O.P. have you checked the situation with regard to access to Spain from France over the Christmas period? There are reports of increased restrictions.

Please
or

EurosprogBauble · 17/12/2020 18:26

Are you able to say (vaguely) your reason for doing this journey.

Plenty of people I know have done it recently (minus the Spain bit) without problems and none of them were stopped.

Please
or

notimagain · 17/12/2020 18:32

Plenty of people I know have done it recently (minus the Spain bit) without problems and none of them were stopped.

How recently? This iteration of the curfew with it's own rule set only started on Monday night.

FWIW I was stopped by Gendarmes on a local journey during confinement one - my reasons for travel and documents were in order but I wouldn't have fancied being the wrong side of them......

Please
or

NerrSnerr · 17/12/2020 18:35

@EurosprogBauble

Are you able to say (vaguely) your reason for doing this journey.

How recently?

I wouldn't risk it OP, you could get into a lot of trouble and it sounds like they are being strict.
Please
or

notimagain · 17/12/2020 18:38

Sorry I'm confusing myself.. we came out of "confinement 2" on Tuesday and any confinement 2 rules related for travel etc, went in the bin.

Tuesday night was the first one under the new rules with the 2000-0600 curfew...

Please
or

Planetzog · 17/12/2020 18:51

Just stay in a hotel it will be fine. Driving all that way without proper stops would be so tiring. You could fall asleep and crash. Surely far more dangerous and risky than staying in a hotel?

Please
or

alyaster1 · 18/12/2020 07:52

Thank you for your responses. I can see that it's better to stay in a hotel so will just do that. I wasn't trying to flout the French rules I just thought not getting out of the car was safer for everyone!!

OP posts:
Please
or

movingonup20 · 18/12/2020 08:01

There is a permit system you can get if you can prove that your trip is essential. My friends have one as they are driving from the U.K. (where they live) home to the de to see an ailing parent, they had to email medical reports yesterday to get it.

Please
or

pinkhousesarebest · 18/12/2020 08:07

I imagine you’ll be on the motorway all the way though? I think that would be a lot less risky. ( I was stopped and fined akm away from our house when I had nipped our to get bread without my paperwork).
Spain are being super strict about who is hey are letting across the border but I assume you know that.

Please
or

calliealbert · 18/12/2020 09:21

No you can't do it MAN

Please
or

Requinblanc · 18/12/2020 09:31

Why on earth are you travelling if you don't have a valid reason?

Please
or

EurosprogBauble · 18/12/2020 10:09

Just to clarify, by "recently" I meant a couple of months ago when a curfew was in force but before the lockdown we have just come out of (the days and weeks seem to blend into one!)

There is now a specific attestaton for travelling during the curfew times www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement-couvre-feu

If you aren't travelling for one of the reasons stated then yes, you risk a fine and being sent back.

I have no idea how easy it is to just drive into Spain - maybe someone with more experience will be along.

Please
or

notimagain · 19/12/2020 08:53

I have no idea how easy it is to just drive into Spain - maybe someone with more experience will be along.

Warnings again on local French lunchtime news (FR3) that certainly crossing the Occitanie portion of the French/Spanish border (i.e; the eastern end of the line) was subject to checks/restrictions ATM and that crossing into Spain (?Andorra as well) simply for leisure purposes was not currently allowed..people were being turned back.

Rather than risk something being lost in translation I'll offer the French government/French language link below..

www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays-destination/espagne/

Please
or

EurosprogBauble · 19/12/2020 12:51

Thanks @notimagain.

Maybe @alyaster1 will come back and tell us if they made it.

Please
or

TheHoneyBadger · 19/12/2020 13:06

@movingonup20

There is a permit system you can get if you can prove that your trip is essential. My friends have one as they are driving from the U.K. (where they live) home to the de to see an ailing parent, they had to email medical reports yesterday to get it.

Do you have a link or anything for this? Thank you.
Please
or

EurosprogBauble · 19/12/2020 13:38

This is in English and had a link to download the form.

www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Please
or

EurosprogBauble · 19/12/2020 13:39

*has

Please
or

alyaster1 · 20/12/2020 10:55

Hi Everyone,

Just an update.
Firstly I have a very valid reason for travel, just not to have to drive after curfew!

I stayed in a hotel in France last night to rightly observe their curfew.

Just passed over the border to Spain with no bother at all. No police or checks today .

Thank you for all your helpful responses.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?